Just Back v Swansea

Biggest disappointment of the night for me was our attendance. Really poor.
It was and has been poor for many midweek games over the past few seasons. It's hard to knock the players for last nights performance when they walk out and see a sparse crowd in a half empty stadium. It's hardly going to lift there spirits or give them an extra edge. I'm not knocking anyone for not attending, tough financial times, work/travel all to be taken into account but those factors will have a baring on the performance on the pitch.

his was billed as a must win game
Not for me and i expect quite a few others. The writing was on the wall after the Stoke result. the Luton result confirmed that in regards to any hope of a play off spot. The players look at the table and see Forest ahead of us with three games in hand, only a loon or an eternal optimist would still believe we had a chance. Last nights performance wasn't one of hope and expectation, it was one of a team that had lost the cutting edge that previously saw us go unbeaten.

We may get a few more bad performances before May arrives. Apart from professional pride there isn't much to play for plus we have many out of contract and quite likely to be on their way.

It was and has been poor for many midweek games over the past few seasons. It's hard to knock the players for last nights performance when they walk out and see a sparse crowd in a half empty stadium. It's hardly going to lift there spirits or give them an extra edge. I'm not knocking anyone for not attending, tough financial times, work/travel all to be taken into account but those factors will have a baring on the performance on the pitch.

I hate knocking our support as like you mate I understand the complications of going football these days with the financial cost, work, holidays and the general shitness that’s modern football sometimes but looking at the swathes of empty blue seats last night it just seemed to me that quite a few of our floating fan base of several thousand gave up on our play off hopes before any of the players did.

I suppose deep down we all knew it was unlikely anyway but with a few more on the gate maybe that 12th man could have dragged us over the line and kept us in the hunt for another week at least. The club are doing what they can by freezing STs which are competitively priced when compared to other London clubs, it would be great if a few more fans could take up the offer to help us taking that step of being a now fairly established championship club (which is no mean achievement itself) to serious promotion candidates.

With a team who do what Swansea do, and they did it well, what is the tactic to nullify them, we did press and harried them, but the danger is then to leave ourselves with gaps all over the pitch? Yes Bennett would have given us a bit more, for sure. I think the disappointment is we didn't anticipate the next pass well, I know from the stands its easy to see the movement about to happen, and yes we coughed the ball up far to easy when it was our turn. Any thoughts? Years ago a few crunching tackles would have put paid to their tippy tappy nonsense, but nowadays we would have ended with less players than we started for sure!

Completely outplayed in all departments by a team lying 14th in table. So where have Swansea been all Season. Have they had internal or management problems. One thing is for sure on the evidence of Tuesday’s performance if they keep this squad together I’ll be lumping on them to win the Championship next Season.

Those of us with long memories will recall about 6 years ago Swansea under Brendan Rodgers came to the Den and absolutely played us off the park with an early version of tippy tappy football. Just like last night. Think they got promoted to the Prem. Now the parachute money is all gone along with all the Billy B/B players. There are probably as skint as us if not worse. Remember for all of last night's pain, they only scored one goal, and we had our chances however bad we played. I wouldn't put my money on them next season though. Even Norwich with old Pukki would beat them with pace and possession. Better bet would be Notts Forest or M'boro which ever one misses out this year.IMHO.

AMBITION? Last time I looked at our Annual Financial accounts, it states in black & white ''our ambition is to become an established Championship Club''. Job done then? Read between the lines, we don't want to know about further promotion as it will cost us too much/it's too risky/we're not ready/crowds too small etc. Delete as appropriate. Somewhere along the line we lost our ambition as a club. It's no surprise our attendances are relatively poor. The match day experience doesn't justify anything better. If our ambition is not to lose at any cost, Why would the crowd get excited? Safety first tactics suck the energy out of supporters, hostile stewarding, poor facilities /toilets!!!, Take your pick. Kow - Towing to all and sundry. BLM appeasement, the them and us attitude is everywhere. Result small crowds and low emotion. Honourable exceptions to all above must go to John Berylson, and the almost Fanatical away travel support who never let the team down

I reckon that’s because so many of our fans have moved out the area.

Write it off. Dire performance at the end of the day. Judging the League standings as off tonight, we lose or draw against Barnsley then it really is the season over with.

I reckon that’s because so many of our fans have moved out the area.
Yep, it's a long day when you have to travel after a days graft. I did it for three year when i lived down the coast. Gettting home around midnight each time then back up at cunt o'clock and back on the train again is a chore. On top of that i know so many bods with season tickets that have a firestick, feet up and watch the Lions in the comfort of you're own living room on a dank Tuesday night.

This raises the question again about midweek ticket prices. If it's financially possible i would like the club to offer some incentives, say £10-£15 for an adult and a fiver for an accompanying under sixteen. Our mutual spends over a longun on three tickets for him and his two lads, not evryone can do or justify that in the current climate.

Write it off. Dire performance at the end of the day. Judging the League standings as off tonight, we lose or draw against Barnsley then it really is the season over with.
We've lost twice in the last ten games, both defeats were against teams below us in the league! Barnsley have lost nine of there last ten away games, they've only won once away all season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

One thing is for sure on the evidence of Tuesday’s performance if they keep this squad together I’ll be lumping on them to win the Championship next Season.
They've won the same amount of games as us, recently hit a bit of form against teams below them bar us. I'll take that bet all day long if you're serious.

We've lost twice in the last ten games, both defeats were against teams below us in the league! Barnsley have lost nine of there last ten away games, they've only won once away all season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Same old, my Grandad (born early 20th century) always said Millwall get so far and mess it up. Realistically, our recent purple patch has projected us to a position close to the play offs but unless we can really put the “winnable” games away, then we are clutching at straws. That’s not to say the fat lady is singing yet. Every game here in is a cup final, the odds are against us but fuck it. Better than struggling to stay in the league- all day long.

They've won the same amount of games as us, recently hit a bit of form against teams below them bar us. I'll take that bet all day long if you're serious.
Martin is putting his stamp on them maybe slowly getting there and needing this season to get it to work.if the opposition find it hard to get the ball off you they will find it hard to win. As we found out

Martin is putting his stamp on them maybe slowly getting there and needing this season to get it to work.if the opposition find it hard to get the ball off you they will find it hard to win. As we found out
Much like Brentford and Leeds when we played them. It works well when they're a goal ahead, not so much when they're a goal down and still passing it out from the back in the second minute of injury time.

Members online