Just Back v Stoke

silverlion

Staff member
A much improved performance, an exciting game and a hard fought win.

We started slowly and they were definitely quicker out of the blocks. They targeted our right side where BNC was making his debut and had a couple of decent moves down that side. They did get a decent ball into our box and it was a little bit of panic stations but we cleared it. It took us a good ten or twelve minutes before we got into our stride and then we started to look good. Sav and Billy were all action in the middle and we looked so much better with two up front. Both strikers worked very hard. A worrying injury to Hutch in their box following a corner and he clearly tweaked his shoulder. He recovered OK and we started to look a threat. A poor ball out of their defence was intercepted by Rab and he fed Tom inside the box but he dallied too long and lost possession. We continued to press and Leonard made some good runs out of defence down the right. He fed BNC well and he made a couple of good runs and crosses which sadly came to nothing. They were looking less of a threat so we continued to press them back hard. A long throw from Leonard went past Hutch but Flem headed it on and it fell to Rab. Cool as a cucumber he stroked it wide of the keeper and into the bottom right hand corner of the net for 1-0. The Den went nuts. They struggled to get back into it and we all breathed a sigh of relief when the ref blew for half time and we were one up.

Their gaffer was clearly not happy about their performance and made four subs at the break. They were definitely going for it and they moved the ball quickly and got into some threatening positions. The Bob Marley lookalike who was a Preston last season was their playmaker. Their portugese seven was busting a gut to get on the ball and he looked a threat. Their giant Wesley got his head to most things and they were relentless in pouring forward. It was time for fresh legs so off came Rab and BNC and on came Emakhu and Vogi. They pressed and pressed and we were clinging on. A great last ditch tackle from Cooper stopped their attacker and a crunching tackle from Leonard saw their 7 almost crying on the turf…and it wasn’t even a foul. In added time Shark made a great save and they hit a post but we bottled it up with Joe Tom and Flem going off and Wes Murray and Evans coming on. It was definitely squeaky bum time but we held on despite the thunder, lightning and torrential rain. And even a rainbow came out at the final whistle so it was definitely our day. Rockin all over the World rang out loud and proud.

Shark looked assured and made a great save at the death. BNC had some moments and looked good. Hutch and Cooper were solid as a rock but MOM goes to Leonard who turned defence into attack with some great driving runs and some real crunching tackles. Billy and Sav ran their nuts off, Flem had some moments too and his first half free kick did every thing but beat the keeper. Rab looked a quality striker with a great goal and Tom was a thorn in their side all game with relentless running. Emakhu made a couple of great runs but BFG looked aggressive and strong but had little threat..Wes, Murray and Evans had good cameos for a few minutes at the death.

So a clean sheet, three points and much improved performance. We can play better but we stopped the rot, got the crowd back onside and deserved to win.
Hard as I looked I could not find Peckham Lion at the Windsor so that meeting will have to wait for another time. I am signing off my Just Backs until Swansea at the end of next month as I am away on the other side of the world I hope that I might get to see a game or two. Who knows?

Cheers. They always make you sweat, wouldn't be Millwall otherwise. Thought Leonard was superb, great to see two uo front. New right back will fine once he settles in. There is no question that the players played for the manager today.

Haters arms empty bar one sheepskin clad fuckwit talking to himself and balling his eyes out at the bar.

Onwards and upwards.

Enjoy the win :wahey:

Agree about the more defensive 2nd half, but I half expected that.
Agreed mate. Will always be a bit tentative after a cuople of defeats previously. Risky but understandable. Apart from the three handy points that was a big fucking win against a handy side. There is no doubt that those players are committed to the cause. We haven't had the ideal prep for a season so hopefully todays win will help settle the boys and spur them on now.Will do the confidence and belief the world of good.

Think we'll be more than okay once Rowett has his entire squad to pick from, the new lads settle in and we find our strongest eleven. We have a strong bench too with players that change a game at the drop of a hat. Really pleased for Rowett and our fans today after a tricky, testing and frustrating few weeks.

Have said in a few posts that losing De Norre is a real shame. He's a great player that will drive us forward more in games which will take some pressure off our back four. Really looking forward to his return and getting some games under his belt. He could be a big player for us this season. Hope he ain't abesent to long.

Enjoy the win mate :cool:

Hard as I looked I could not find Peckham Lion at the Windsor so that meeting will have to wait for another time.
My plans changed at the last minute so i never made the windsor. Enjoy your travels and i'll catch you another time!!!

Those last 5 minutes were horrible. But if that wasn't a team playing for their manager then I don't know what is. The attitude of the entire team was that of huge determination and bodies on the line.

I know they put us under huge pressure but they had two shots on target the whole game from twelve attempts. We had seven from seventeen. Lies, damn lies and statistics and all that maybe, but given how it felt at the end that surprised me.

Don't get me wrong, they were impressive. But given they have just signed a player for £4.3 million and have spent nearly £11 million on players this transfer window alone and the highest amount we have paid for a player is a few million, maybe some of our dissenting fans will realise that we don't have a divine right to be at the top of the league. We have to earn our points with graft and heart and that was in abundance today. Oh, and Norwich demolished Huddersfield 4-0 away from home.

Man of the match was Jake Cooper. Absolutely giant performance. And our fans were magnificent today. Incredible atmosphere.

E I fucking O.

Cheers. They always make you sweat, wouldn't be Millwall otherwise. Thought Leonard was superb, great to see two uo front. New right back will fine once he settles in. There is no question that the players played for the manager today.

Haters arms empty bar one sheepskin clad fuckwit talking to himself and balling his eyes out at the bar.

Onwards and upwards.

Be better when they’ve played together a few times. Adding another footballer in bnc will only help us play. But, we need flem to stake a place in the 10 position and dictate and command that part of the field. We have some decent players now who can pass, even see a 1/2 today think it was Bryan and possibly sav. But still see us passing to each other to close and
Causing congestion. We need to work harder off the ball when we have it to make passing east. Good to see we have strength in depth even without denorre and honey

Onwards and upwards.

Great picture of two great friends Peckham, if any northern ponce spits at me !!Hitting

Be better when they’ve played together a few times. Adding another footballer in bnc will only help us play. But, we need flem to stake a place in the 10 position and dictate and command that part of the field. We have some decent players now who can pass, even see a 1/2 today think it was Bryan and possibly sav. But still see us passing to each other to close and
Causing congestion. We need to work harder off the ball when we have it to make passing east. Good to see we have strength in depth even without denorre and honey
Absolutely mate. Think Rowett has to trust our ball players a bit more. Was saying to my boy that i feel for Flemming. He's like Jed in many ways, needs the ball at his feet and he's in his element. He also needs to have someone to play off of/ link up with/form an understanding/ pairing other wise he's wasted. That's the frustrating side of Rowett, brings in players for their natural strengths/ talent but stifles them with his conservative approach.

Perhaps him being a defender makes it hard for him to work out the attacking side of things but christ we have some pace and talent in the squad so bloody use it. I do agree with what others have noted and said recently that we don't have no attack minded coaches to work with the first team. You'd have thought that would have been imperative seeing as our management team are all defence minded. You'd have thought they could get someone in a few days a week to work with our forward players.

Great picture of two great friends Peckham, if any northern ponce spits at me !!Hitting
Yes mate. Thankyou. Was with Bobby recently. Always good value and cracking jokes. Legends! It's just over ten year near since Ian passed. It seems like yesterday. I'm still in touch with his family and friends from outside of wall. He'll never be forgotten mate!

Don't know if you've ever seen this mate. It's a cracker.

1693084067437.jpeg

Agree, when he's up to speed think he will be a big player for us.
Jury out for me, as only his first game thought he looked suspect defensively.
fell asleep in the first ten minutes got nutmeged and cooper to thank for his block.
Having said that showed some promise getting forward, made I think 2 not very good crosses. Lennard helped him a lot defensively.
Should get better, but not an upgrade on Danny from what I have seen so far.

fell asleep in the first ten minutes got nutmeged and cooper to thank for his block.
Having said that showed some promise getting forward, made I think 2 not very good crosses. Lennard helped him a lot defensively.
Better than Danny going forward but, on this showing, not defensively 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully will improve defensively and, with Leonard behind him, worth persevering with.

He’s not fit apparently but agree with you he is better in attack than defence on yesterdays showing and we know Danny is the reverse.

I’ll never be a fan of wingbacks as I think the gaps behind them are far too easy to expose our slow centre backs who get dragged out wide (we want Coops in the penalty box to head it or block it, not out trying to deal with some tricky speedy winger) and going forward conventional wide midfielders like a Reidy or Ifill allow us to counter attack far more quickly. Also really good wingbacks are extremely hard to find and even harder to replace from within the squad if they get injured.

It was so much better with 2 strikers especially in the first half, Bradshaw’s work rate and ability to hold up the ball up to allow others to join the attack is very important, similar to Stevie Claridge in that respect.