Just Back v Sky Blues on stream

silverlion

Staff member
A very poor first half performance and a sad defeat.

After Saturday you would have thought we would have come out all guns blazing. Sadly it was a sluggish start and we really never got out of second gear until late on. We struggled to get a foothold in the game. They seemed more lively, won all the second balls and in Norton Cuffey and Gykores they had players that could press forward with threat. When we did get the ball we couldn’t really get any decent passing moves going. We gave the ball away and they just pressed forward in waves. We did not have a chance whereas they pressed forward with threat and Gykores almost scored. A good through ball saw him outpace Cooper, Long came out to block but it bounced off him and the ricochet just went wide of the post. We definitely got away with one there. There was no question that we were second best for the first 45 and GR’s half time talk would be put to the test if we were going to get anything out of this.

There were no changes to the line up and GR must have told them all to buck their ideas up. We looked a bit better but, quite frankly, we couldn’t look much worse. An early corner was caught cleanly by their keeper.. we tried a little harder but it was just a matter of time. Gykores looked a real threat and his forceful play got them a goal. His strong running took him past Cresswell and a stunning shot found the corner of out net for 1-0. It was no more than they deserved. It was time for fresh legs. On came Burke and Vogi for Honeyman and Watmore. We started to turn the tide but still couldn’t fashion an effort on goal. More fresh legs came on with Shack and Esse for Bradshaw and Sav. Coventry started to look shaky and a corner fromVogi found Cresswell but his header was saved. Danny crossed but Burkes header went over. Esse looked a real threat with silky movement and we pressed really hard. We went for broke with Molly on for Murray and Cooper up front but Shack’s shot was cleared off the line and an Esse shot went wide. Despite the pressure they held on and we just missed out.

Long played OK but could not stop their goal. Danny was lively and both Cooper and Cresswell had their work cut out to stop Gykores. Murray was OK. Billy ran and ran but never really created much and the same could be said of Sav. Honeyman ran hard but rarely looked a threat, Flem had one free kick that sailed over the bar and Watmore had a couple of moments but little threat. Bradshaw was outmuscled all game and did very little. Burke ran hard and pressed well and Vogi ran hard. Esse looked class and Shack put himself about a bit. Molly hardly broke sweat. After a Saturday it was disappointing but typically Millwall. We go a goal down before we really press and then it is too late. Onto Saturday but we will need a lot more if we are to blunt the Bladies.

Just back indoors from it. Was woeful.
Think it’s worth giving Burke a run through the middle, whether he’s quick against tired legs blah blah blah, someone with his sheer pace will run defenders ragged any time. I’m a fan of Bradshaw, but we do need something different.

Surely there will be changes on Saturday?
Maybe even a start for Esse?
There needs to be, there has to be competition and a reward for playing well. Surely an opportunity for the likes of Malone, Esse and Shackleton. They showed a desire to attack with purpose. Bradshaw needs a rest, he cannot run around on his own match after match. Fleming is better higher up the pitch as well so thats worth a try.

There needs to be, there has to be competition and a reward for playing well. Surely an opportunity for the likes of Malone, Esse and Shackleton. They showed a desire to attack with purpose. Bradshaw needs a rest, he cannot run around on his own match after match. Fleming is better higher up the pitch as well so thats worth a try.
Burke, Malone, Esse and Shackleton all need to start and get us on the front foot vs Sheffield. Otherwise it’s conservative GR and the Haters Arms re-opens!

A short journey but very disappointing , same team but played like another , Wallace had a mare ,Fleming I'm afraid failed to impress again and we were 2nd best for 90% of the game, the biggest thing that stood out was there big and talented forward who we found hard to contain ( just what we need) , their movement & passing was sharper & more accurate all game , we are too predictable in our game plan but don't have the right pieces to be really effective....2 big games we now have to get something from both after tonight s shamble

I think we just need to keep a bit of perspective here. We got beat by 1 goal by a team who are very good at home and have probably the best striker in the division by a mile. You can't deny how good his finish was.
Teams are not just going to roll over for us.
I thought we gave everything but came up a bit short in the final third this time. Nothing that new to us.
As long as the players have tried all they can if we end up getting beat by a better team on the day I'll accept that.
I think to start trying to find scapegoats for this one is wrong. Move on to the next one.

First 5 minutes set the tone, they were at it and we were not. That’s the players not Rowett. Honeyman had a mare. Murray gets criticism but no movement for players to pass to. Thought he defended ok.

Rowett waited too long to make changes as saville, billy and Bradshaw were leggy.

Thought cov were dog average and we were all over them last 20. 3 points were there for the taking.

It’s interesting that Rowett saw last night what many have been seeing and saying for ages now: trust your instincts and make changes earlier and if need be change the formation! Too many times last night the Coventry midfield dominated our midfield, and were quicker getting the ball forward than we were! Burke should have been brought on much earlier, as should Leonard and Esse.

Within 10 minutes of the 2nd half you could see that the Coventry players had upped their tempo. That would have been the time to make changes! Bring on those players that have fresh legs and give them and the rest of the team 35 minutes to maybe rescue a point!

I didnt actually watch it yesterday, but we know they are hard to beat at their place. Next 2 games we probably don't expect much and on paper I would take a draw. If we sneak a win in either I'm thinking that equates to 3 draws which we would probably have taken before this run started. Regroup and get amongst them, as someone else referenced its like a free hit.

One of my "Horses for Courses" .very little luck usually and on top of that it's at St. ANDREW'S.