Just Back v Rovers on MTV

silverlion

Staff member
A hard fought point away at a ground where we usually come away with nothing.

We were really slow out of the blocks and looked hesitant and indecisive. They realised that we looked punch drunk and pushed and pressed us but rarely threatened. We took a good ten minutes before we got into our stride but we were still second best most of the time. We gave the ball away cheaply and it was very frustrating to do all the hard work to win the ball back and then do very little with it. Poor Emakhu looked a bit like a fish out of water. His strength is to stay deep, fly down the line with a ball over the top and then race towards goal. He ran about a bit but at times tried unsuccessfully to be the target man. Longman was trying hard to get into the game and a decent run down the right saw him gain a corner . It was knocked into the box, Cooper glanced it on and Flem was past the far post to hit a firm shot which cannoned off the foot of the post. It was as close as we got in the first half. They played some neat football and their midfield looked a threat. They knocked some good diagonals right but the crosses did not threaten and we rode it out to a goalless break.

NH would have been the happier of the two managers but would have wanted more in possession. Clearly Emakhu had run his course and Obafemi replaced him at the break. Straight away we looked more of a threat. Oba is full of running and bluster and their defence now had something to think about and a man to keep an eye on. Ten minutes had gone before he struck his first goal for the Lions. Some persistence on the right from Longman got the ball to Billy who hit a peach of a cross into the box. There was some good fortune from Oba as he tried to wriggle his way near to their goal. A fortunate ricochet put him in the clear and a little jink made room for the shot which he buried. The Millwall fans behind the goal went nuts. We had something to hold on and it just needed ten minutes to burn them off and seal the win. Sadly almost ten minutes was up before they equalised. Leonard brought the ball out of defence and laid it off to Danny on the left. He hit it back inside to Cooper but his pass was short. Their blondie hit it inside to Szmodics and he hit it first time past Shark into the corner for 1-1. They tried to capitalise on their equaliser but we stood firm. Fresh legs were needed and Danny and Longman made way for BNC and Joe. We looked more in our shape and had more legs. They tried every which way to get around us but we played some solid and controlled defence and kept them at bay. At the death Watmore came on for Flem and we saw out the five added minutes without any drama.

Shark played well but had little to do apart from picking the ball out of the net. Leonard was solid and Cooper and Tango hardly gave an inch to them. Danny made one blip and we were made to pay for it. Sav and Billy covered every blade of grass and the latter’s excellent cross for the goal was cancelled out when he gave the ball away late in the game. Honeyman probably shaded MOM with tireless running and some very good play. Flem had his moments but Emakhu was played out of position and had little impact. Longman had a few moments but flatters to deceive at times. Joe looked solid when he came on and so did BNC. Watmore hardly broke sweat in his 7 minute cameo.
Now two points clear of the drop zone and a good point against a side we rarely get anything at their place. Now onwards to a big game against the Blues on Saturday where we hope to keep up this momentum.

We defy gravity. Look forward to seeing you (Silver) Saturday and all of the glam around you!!! In moments of daring we’ve booked 2 weeks in India to n through India. God or Krishna knows where are by 4/4!!!!

I thought Billy was MOM and Sav had a bit of a stinker. I’d probably bring in Casper for Sav at the weekend, and Obafemi for Longman. Danny will have to be played otherwise you’ll lose his confidence for the season. He made a mistake this evening but let’s face it, our plight his hardly down to him so he starts for me.

Shark is getting better and better, which is what you should expect from a keeper. They need games and he’s now got a good number behind him. I think we’ll benefit from this during the run in.

Overall, I think we’ll stay up. The Den will be crucial.

I thought Billy was MOM and Sav had a bit of a stinker. I’d probably bring in Casper for Sav at the weekend, and Obafemi for Longman. Danny will have to be played otherwise you’ll lose his confidence for the season. He made a mistake this evening but let’s face it, our plight his hardly down to him so he starts for me.

Shark is getting better and better, which is what you should expect from a keeper. They need games and he’s now got a good number behind him. I think we’ll benefit from this during the run in.

Bryan will replace Danny absolutely! No excuse for his pathetic blunder even if he’s one of own. Sometimes they aren’t up to much.

Think your right , Danny whatever his failings has been very good over the last 3 and shouldn't be dropped for one error , we now after looking frail for so long look difficult to beat and with all the sides at the bottom playing each other we should have more than enough about us to stay up .

Danny will get slated and not reappear on Saturday!
Blackburn boss John Eustace:

"It wasn't a classic but again the lads have shown fantastic character and togetherness, to come from a goal behind against a difficult opponent.

"I was pleased with the reaction. We dominated possession without really testing their keeper, but we worked hard and stuck together and it was a good point in the end.

"The boys since I've come in have been fantastic. We're playing players who have come back from long injuries and they are running through brick walls for us. They are leggy and tired but they are fully committed to the cause.

"There's a lot of teams from around 10th spot down that can be involved in the relegation fight and it's just vital we keep believing in what we're doing."

Millwall manager Neil Harris:

"We're really pleased with the points total of seven from three games. The glass is definitely half full and there are lots of positives that I've learned today."

"Danny is disappointed but he will stand up and take responsibility and there were other things we didn't do well in the build-up to the goal, so there is no individual blame culture.

"The big thing for me is that we came off and we gave a really poor goal away but the players all mentioned that it was a really good point for us tonight."

Danny will get slated and not reappear on Saturday!
Blackburn boss John Eustace:

"It wasn't a classic but again the lads have shown fantastic character and togetherness, to come from a goal behind against a difficult opponent.

"I was pleased with the reaction. We dominated possession without really testing their keeper, but we worked hard and stuck together and it was a good point in the end.

"The boys since I've come in have been fantastic. We're playing players who have come back from long injuries and they are running through brick walls for us. They are leggy and tired but they are fully committed to the cause.

"There's a lot of teams from around 10th spot down that can be involved in the relegation fight and it's just vital we keep believing in what we're doing."

Millwall manager Neil Harris:

"We're really pleased with the points total of seven from three games. The glass is definitely half full and there are lots of positives that I've learned today."

"Danny is disappointed but he will stand up and take responsibility and there were other things we didn't do well in the build-up to the goal, so there is no individual blame culture.

"The big thing for me is that we came off and we gave a really poor goal away but the players all mentioned that it was a really good point for us tonight."
Man management is not about leaving team members out in the cold because of one mistake. Danny has been decent in recent weeks and brilliant in our 6 points at Southampton and Watford. His effort and dedication has been part of our success/6 points. Loyalty is a great trait - it gets an extra 20% out of the right players - of which Danny is just that.

I wonder if you met him tomorrow at the training ground if you’d say the same to his face when preparing for our next tough game?

Never liked or felt comfortable with right-footed players at left back (not even our legendary ‘arry boy).

I’d bring back Bryan, move Danny to RB and utilise Leonard in CM.
Exactly what I was thinking. Danny doesn’t deserve dropping for a killing mistake. Wrong decision.

Lenny is our best player IMO, so putting him CM with Casper or Mitchell or both appeals a lot.

If we go down with this bunch of players, I’ll be in shock for 10 years! The only issue I really see is up top. Obefemi and Zian have to stay fit!

I wouldn’t drop Longman personally

Not sure if we started 4-4-2-0 or 4-4-1-1 but I’m guessing the latter with Longman up front, it didn’t work for him at QPR and it wasn’t working tonight although we’ll never actually know because he swapped places with Emakhu after 20 mins or so. As Silver alluded to, Emakhu couldn’t win a ball which maybe isn’t his strong point but in a relegation struggle it should be all hands to the pump. It was a good switch by NH as Longman looked a lot better playing right midfield. Obviously things improved when Obafemi came on who is an actual forward and took his goal well.
We could have won without Sav & Danny’s mistakes for the goal but probably only deserved a point which we would all have taken before the kick off.
The escape plan continues, now on to Saturday

There were actually 3 errors before Danny's. Saville gave the ball away, Tango dived in and missed completely and then Leonard overplayed instead of clearing.
The thing is it would have been 3 wins in 3 fir Super Neil and 9 points in the bag. I find mistakes like that unforgivable as it was just so careless.

Man management is not about leaving team members out in the cold because of one mistake. Danny has been decent in recent weeks and brilliant in our 6 points at Southampton and Watford. His effort and dedication has been part of our success/6 points. Loyalty is a great trait - it gets an extra 20% out of the right players - of which Danny is just that.

I wonder if you met him tomorrow at the training ground if you’d say the same to his face when preparing for our next tough game?
You’re right mate. I don’t normally dig players out and challenge those that do like you have done. I’d had a bit to drink and vented my anger and disappointment about our Danny Boy. Sorry. 😔