Just Back v QP haha on Fawa stream

silverlion

Staff member
A really poor performance and a very disappointing result.

They were very nervy at the start. We pressed them back and they looked very worried. Keeper hitting the ball straight out into touch and defenders did not want the ball near their own goal. We looked quite composed on the ball, pushed it around but never really posed any threat. We had a couple of moments where we had a long throw but it came to nothing. We pressed but nothing seemed to come off. Rab looked really poor up front and Watmore hardly got a touch. You could see that they were thinking they could get something out of this game and sure enough with less than half an hour on the clock they did. Willock looked tricky out on the right and he turned Joe and hit a deep cross to the far post. BNC was waiting for the ball to come to him but Chair just got in front of him and bundled the ball home. They went nuts and we were crestfallen. Against the run of play they had nicked the opener and we just could not believe it. They had confidence and a spring in their step and we just could not keep up with them. It was really disappointing to watch and the harder we tried the worse it got. It took us 43 minutes to have an effort on goal. A decent run but Billy, a one-two down the left and a decent cross met by Rab who skied it into the upper tier. Surely Joe could see that we needed change at the break which finished with them having their noses in front.

I am not sure what Joe said to them at the break but it had little effect in the second half. We huffed and puffed but made little headway. By contrast they knew that they had to play tight for fifteen minutes and keep us out. They really didn’t have to try that hard as we were poor. Whatever we tried they were a yard faster, much crisper into the tackle and much more productive when they had the ball. Change was needed and off went Rab to be replaced by Longman. He ran hard but had little success over their CB’s. We needed more drive in the middle, more invention in our movement and passing and more bite upfront. We did have one bright moment of pressure when a far post cross was knocked back in, passed back to Billy whose shot was cleared off the line.Joe’s master stroke was to take off Bryan and BNC and put on Tan and Murray. I am not sure where Danny would,play as Tan slotted into RB and Danny moved forward with little effect. With Sav and Casper on the bench who surely would have added more in the middle and Lawson who would not have had to try very hard to outplay Rab Joe did nothing. They realised that we were there for the taking and they pressed us back. Chair played a tricky move on the left and hit it inside to Colback on the edge of our box. He hit a firm but speculative shot goalwards which Shark had covered. He didn’t seem to get his hands to the ball, it cannoned off his body and their donkey with 30 on his shirt knocked in the rebound. At 2 down there was no coming back and the 6 added minutes could have been 66 and we would never have scored.

Shark’s mistake gifted them their second and you could even say that maybe he could have done more to save their first. Danny was OK and so was Cooper and Wes but none of them were anything special. Joe looked OK to and it was a mystery why he was subbed. BNC looked a bit rusty and should have done more to prevent their first. Honeyman was tidy and Billy was busy but never a threat. Flem ran around with purpose but rarely looked a threat. Watmore had about three touches in the whole game and Rab was poor. He might be a Scotland international but on that showing he wouldn’t make the Euro’s squad unless they need someone to make the tea. Longman ran hard but rarely looked a threat. Tan was barely adequate but Murray did his best swimming against the tide.

All in all the game had some dire moments for us. I accept we have injuries but that does not account for a poor performance from most of the team. Joe will have to sign somebody upfront quickly, change his tactics and starting eleven if he is to avoid an embarrassing defeat next week and get booed off the park. Things can only get better!

Borough last week and QPR this week, their managers worked out that if they leave two up top and one close behind them that our forward play will break down due to lack of quality then if they transition the ball quickly our midfield is caught too high up the park and our defence is isolated this was clearly visible after 25 minutes yesterday.

Be prepared for more of the same as the other managers will have noticed.

QPRs manager did his homework and it paid off.

From this game it stands out like a sore thumb that our forward line is just not good enough for this league, midfield at present is Just not creative enough and Fleming again was non exsistant....2 poor teams but they both the goals and we didn't even look like scoring , all great buying defenders but goals win games and another backward step for the team .lovely tippy tappy football but it reaches midfield and it stops and if it gets to the final third we look clueless, another run of hard games coming up let's hope something positive happens in the transfer scene

I have two mates who were there and both came to the same conclusion. They were not convinced by Billy or Sarkic and up front we were poor. One had question marks about Watmore and both had similar concerns over Nisbet. I said in my Just Back that Watmore had about three touches in the whole game and Nisbet would be good for making tea for Scotland at the Euros. You don’t need to be Pep or Jose to work out that if your forwards have little impact on the game then you can attack with gay abandon and if it breaks down then they have little to offer in return and you can attack again.
The first fifteen looked fairly comfortable for us but as soon as they had sussed us out we were on a hiding to nothing. Willock and Chair are not world beaters but on their day they can make you pay. Yesterday was one of those days.
Joe pulled no punches in his post match interview when he said we were poor and he would not sweep yesterdays poor performance under the carpet. He even blamed himself a little for the poor show. OK we had injuries….like every club has but his substitutions were baffling. You are a goal down and you put Longman up front by himself? OK, Nisbet was poor but do you really think a winger ploughing a lone furrow is going to change that? Then you replace two defenders with two more defenders and push Danny into an unfamiliar role wide right? That really smacks of desperation! Meanwhile, on the bench you have an experienced midfielder in Sav and another decent midfielder in Casper who don’t make it onto the field! And to cap,it all you have Lawson on the bench. He is a young under 21 forward who would have busted his gut to make an impact but what do you do? Nothing!
For me, two things have got to happen this week. Sign a forward or two on loan who is going to have an impact at the top end of the field. Hopefully get Emakhu up and running this week and start him at least on the bench. If we dont get a much better performance from the team next week against Preston then the worm could be turning against Joe. There is a limit to talking a good story and we are close to the limit this week. Watch this space!

Nobody seems to have mentioned BNC and his part for their first goal. What was he doing? He was right there and did nothing. Perhaps he thought it was going straight out and didn’t realise Chair was there?
He has to do better than that surely!?
Also why didn’t Danny go down clutching his face when Armstrong swiped him with his hand across the neck when the ball went out for a throw in? The ref gave nothing as well.

Nobody seems to have mentioned BNC and his part for their first goal. What was he doing? He was right there and did nothing. Perhaps he thought it was going straight out and didn’t realise Chair was there?
He has to do better than that surely!?
Also why didn’t Danny go down clutching his face when Armstrong swiped him with his hand across the neck when the ball went out for a throw in? The ref gave nothing as well.
I have watched the first goal back. Chair was standing next to BNC.
As the cross came in, Chair moved, BNC didn’t.
Simple as that.
By the time BNC realized what was going on Chair was half a yard in front of him and it was way too late to catch up.

Borough last week and QPR this week, their managers worked out that if they leave two up top and one close behind them that our forward play will break down due to lack of quality then if they transition the ball quickly our midfield is caught too high up the park and our defence is isolated this was clearly visible after 25 minutes yesterday.

Be prepared for more of the same as the other managers will have noticed.

QPRs manager did his homework and it paid off.
Here’s a thought 💡

Play Nisbet and, in Tom’s absence, Watmore upfront; De Norre in the “hole” (to feed them) and Saville and George (to add experience and a physical presence) in CM.

Unfortunately, with Hutch and Lenny out we’re lacking a bit of bite in the team and we’re starting to get bullied out of games.

It’s no coincidence that things have gone downhill since Saville, Hutch and Lenny have been out. Massive losses ☹️

Here’s a thought 💡

Play Nisbet and, in Tom’s absence, Watmore upfront; De Norre in the “hole” (to feed them) and Saville and George (to add experience and a physical presence) in CM.

Unfortunately, with Hutch and Lenny out we’re lacking a bit of bite in the team and we’re starting to get bullied out of games.

It’s no coincidence that things have gone downhill since Saville, Hutch and Lenny have been out. Massive losses ☹️
Saville had a 3 match ban. But JE effectively made it a 4 match ban yesterday.
Only he knows why Saville didn’t start yesterday. I don’t know if even he can say why he didn’t come on at half time.

Here’s a thought 💡

Exactly, when you lose arguably your best 3 players it makes things very difficult. Injuries don’t help a team lacking quality backups. As much as I love us winning I also appreciate we are low in the food chain.

Here’s a thought 💡

On our official web site (and also Flash Scores) Watmore is described as a forward & Ryan Longman is described as a midfielder.
So what on earth was Longman doing playing in front of Watmore?
It didn’t make any sense to me :shake:

This all sounds so familiar.
Seems that nobody played well against a poor team, again. Compare that to the recent early performances vs Borough, Leicester and others. It’s like Night and Day. Same players pretty much, why the difference in performances?i
Time for some plain speaking, by, and to, the Management, and some Bravery in tactics and team selection Joe.

On our official web site (and also Flash Scores) Watmore is described as a forward & Ryan Longman is described as a midfielder.
So what on earth was Longman doing playing in front of Watmore?
It didn’t make any sense to me :shake:
I thought Longman deserved a start on Saturday after his performance against Boro and would have had him instead of Watmore on the right and to help BNC. When he did come on, I again thought it would have been for Watmore who hardly set the world on fire. When it was for Nisbet, I thought Watmore would have gone up front and Longman played on the right - as you rightly point out Watmore is supposed to be the forward. When Longman was asked to play down the centre up top I didn't know what to think!

I think I'm giving up thinking!