Just Back v Preston

silverlion

Staff member
A spirited performance and we almost edged a win.

A very quiet start from both sides with little action for the first two or three minutes. We realised that they weren’t quite at the races and deservedly took an early lead. Some good play down the right with BNC who laid it back to Honeyman. He hit a looping cross into the box and there was Flem, unmarked and ten yards out to head it firmly past their keeper. We had a good ten or more minutes with some good play down the middle, some decent passes just inside their defence but there was not enough quality with the final pass to create an opening. Then they just upped their tempo and came back into it. Their 23 playing wide on the left looked lively and the pony tailed Potts got more of the ball. I still didn’t think they looked a threat and then they struck. A ball wide on the left was just kept in play and was swept down the wing. A cross field pass caught out Joe who was behind Potts and he strode forward and hit a firm shot across Shark for their equaliser. There was little he could do and despite Cooper and Wes on the line it went in. They got a second wind and pushed and pressed us back and we looked vulnerable. When we tried to press the one sided ref was there to help them. A thumping challenge from them was waived away but a light touch on them was a free kick all day long. We weren’t exactly hanging on but it would be fair to say that we were the happier to hear the half time whistle.

Joe did the obvious after the break and sent on Esse for a largely ineffective Longman. We looked better and started to play more joined up football in their half but struggled to score a second. Then Joe hit the right button and took off a busy but ineffective Billy and a cream crackered Honeyman and put on Sav and Casper. We were a whole different team. There were spaces and incisive passes and we were well on top. Flem and Sav had decent shots but neither scored. There were a couple of scrambles in the box and some nearly moments but not quite enough to force the ball over the line. They had one breakaway which almost led to a goal but Shark stood his ground and saved with his legs Oba came on with fifteen to go but only had one threatening moment which came to nothing. A late free kick came to nothing and the game ended all square.

Shark was reasonable and made no glaring errors like last week. BNC was full of energy and drive, set up the goal well and had some good moments. Tango looked assured, Wes and Cooper were solid but Joe was caught out for their goal. Billy was busy but rarely looked a threat and Honeyman was busy and picked up a yellow for a robust challenge. Longman never really looked a threat and his substitution on 45 was no surprise. Esse was busy and had a couple of moments. Flem was declared the club MOM and he probably shaded it by taking his goal well and being very involved in a lot of play. Rab was again a disappointment. How a Scottish international can have one effort on goal in ninety minutes which hit the upper tier and be classed as a striker is beyond me. Oba will get better. A point is a point which could almost have been three. It was better than last week but things sunk to a new low then and it wouldn’t take too much to show an improvement. The 5live summariser said that it was a game between two mid table sides and he got it about right.

A spirited performance and we almost edged a win.

A very quiet start from both sides with little action for the first two or three minutes. We realised that they weren’t quite at the races and deservedly took an early lead. Some good play down the right with BNC who laid it back to Honeyman. He hit a looping cross into the box and there was Flem, unmarked and ten yards out to head it firmly past their keeper. We had a good ten or more minutes with some good play down the middle, some decent passes just inside their defence but there was not enough quality with the final pass to create an opening. Then they just upped their tempo and came back into it. Their 23 playing wide on the left looked lively and the pony tailed Potts got more of the ball. I still didn’t think they looked a threat and then they struck. A ball wide on the left was just kept in play and was swept down the wing. A cross field pass caught out Joe who was behind Potts and he strode forward and hit a firm shot across Shark for their equaliser. There was little he could do and despite Cooper and Wes on the line it went in. They got a second wind and pushed and pressed us back and we looked vulnerable. When we tried to press the one sided ref was there to help them. A thumping challenge from them was waived away but a light touch on them was a free kick all day long. We weren’t exactly hanging on but it would be fair to say that we were the happier to hear the half time whistle.

Joe did the obvious after the break and sent on Esse for a largely ineffective Longman. We looked better and started to play more joined up football in their half but struggled to score a second. Then Joe hit the right button and took off a busy but ineffective Billy and a cream crackered Honeyman and put on Sav and Casper. We were a whole different team. There were spaces and incisive passes and we were well on top. Flem and Sav had decent shots but neither scored. There were a couple of scrambles in the box and some nearly moments but not quite enough to force the ball over the line. They had one breakaway which almost led to a goal but Shark stood his ground and saved with his legs Oba came on with fifteen to go but only had one threatening moment which came to nothing. A late free kick came to nothing and the game ended all square.

Shark was reasonable and made no glaring errors like last week. BNC was full of energy and drive, set up the goal well and had some good moments. Tango looked assured, Wes and Cooper were solid but Joe was caught out for their goal. Billy was busy but rarely looked a threat and Honeyman was busy and picked up a yellow for a robust challenge. Longman never really looked a threat and his substitution on 45 was no surprise. Esse was busy and had a couple of moments. Flem was declared the club MOM and he probably shaded it by taking his goal well and being very involved in a lot of play. Rab was again a disappointment. How a Scottish international can have one effort on goal in ninety minutes which hit the upper tier and be classed as a striker is beyond me. Oba will get better. A point is a point which could almost have been three. It was better than last week but things sunk to a new low then and it wouldn’t take too much to show an improvement. The 5live summariser said that it was a game between two mid table sides and he got it about right.
Don’t forget longman took a hefty walk, which probably didn’t help him

Thanks Silver.
We hit a flat spot at more or less the same time in the first half as we did at QPR, is that to do with fitness? Having said that we were much better & created a lot more chances. Was it Tango that gave the ball away for the equaliser? :wagging:

Another point on the board but thought we would beat them They'd lost there last 3 aways but we seem to be a nice place to come when on a bad run.

Yes Oag i do think fitness/ stamina is a slight issue but they'll adapt. Edward's style demands more movement and running.

Another frustrating game. Have I missed a few rule changes? Is Shoving players in the back now classed as shoulder to shoulder? Is having an arm wrapped around you neck now just a bit of heavy petting? What about being behind a player with both arms round his waist and you knob between his arse cheeks, is that a foul or just acetable sexual public behaviour these days? And lastly a minnor one, blocking players at corners with no intention to play the ball. That sounds pretty much like a breach of the obstruction rule.

Another frustrating game. Have I missed a few rule changes? Is Shoving players in the back now classed as shoulder to shoulder? Is having an arm wrapped around you neck now just a bit of heavy petting? What about being behind a player with both arms round his waist and you knob between his arse cheeks, is that a foul or just acetable sexual public behaviour these days? And lastly a minnor one, blocking players at corners with no intention to play the ball. That sounds pretty much like a breach of the obstruction rule.
If sounds like the club needs to hire a human rights lawyer.

In seriousness it wouldn’t be so bad if the rules applied to both teams.

I counted three instances yesterday when it appeared they got a free kick for slipping or falling over with no or absolute minimum contact.

I think that’s because they’re soft northerners.

Poor refereeing allows it, especially at our place!

The ref certainly got us enraged and observed on the PNE fans forum

“I was going to have an abstemious night tonight but after an hour and half of the bracing air of South East London and the hostile atmosphere our opponents' fans can generate I changed my mind. So full-bodied Spanish red it is.” 🤣

I'm not sure if the club would be allowed to, but why not stick a video camera man up the end we are attacking, and film in detail the pulling, holding etc at corners in detail. Then post it all over social media every week.
Put it all together, esp the crap cooper gets. Post it and send it to whoever rates refs. Make a good end of season watch. All moaning aside, having your arm round someones neck is just not a safe thing to do with a load of pushing and shoving going on.

Put it all together, esp the crap cooper gets. Post it and send it to whoever rates refs. Make a good end of season watch. All moaning aside, having your arm round someones neck is just not a safe thing to do with a load of pushing and shoving going on.
I don’t get why arms are used to defend especially at corners. If someone does it a foul should immediately be given, hence a penalty if in the box. I assume everyone saw cooper with 2 markers, their ten had his back to the corner looking at cooper. Cooper must be placid as I’m sure many players would see red. Noticed he did rip the goalie shirt in anger. It’s like watching a salsa lesson every corner.

Thanks Silver, much appreciated.As you say an improved performance. Once again a completely imbicilic referee who.may not have been "bent" but I've seen straighter.corkscrews.