Just Back v Foxes in the Cup

silverlion

Staff member
A decent performance and a good game to watch but beaten by more clinical opponents.

We started well. In next to no time we were on the front foot. Particularly impressive was Watmore who was running amok on the right. A couple of good runs from him set up a couple of decent chances which came to nothing. We were not done yet and another decent chance saw him put Danny in but his shot was well saved by the keeper to his left. It really did seem just a matter of time but although they had some possession they never really threatened. We were all thinking that a goal for us would come any moment but then they struck. It was very much against the trun of play. The ball got moved out to the right where their winger crossed almost unchallenged and their lanky 7 rose at the far post to nod it past Shark. We were shell shocked but we knew we would try very hard to get some momentum and equalise. After some good patterns of play we looked a threat but then conceded a second. A bit of a mix up at the back when we didn’t clear it well and their 21 was put through and side footed it wide of Shark for 0-2. It was really disappointing but we did not not feel sorry for ourselves. We continued to press but the final pass or a last minute interception let us down. Sadly Leonard went down just before the break and Longman came onto replace him with Danny moving to a CB place. The half ended with them 2 up.

Joe must have been pleased with the first half performance but not with our sloppy passing at times and also the score. However, we pressed from the start with Longman looking a threat on the right. He forced his way down the right and hit a firm shot which their keeper saved well. Joe was hoping for an early goal and it came on 56. A ball into their box was diverted into the goal by Watmore for 1-2. It was game on and we pressed for a second. Sadly, it was our downfall as they broke quickly, Cannon took it wide of Shark and slotted it home even though Wes was on the line but couldn’t prevent it. It looked like game over but Joe had other ideas. Bradshaw came on to replace Rab and then Esse came on to replace a cream crackered Watmore. We pushed and pressed and with 4 to go Bryan swung over a corner and whist everybody was watching Wes and Cooper Flem was left 15 yards out to sweep home our second. They were a little bit in panic mode and treated every trick in the book to slow the game down and waste time. Our big moment at the death came with a free kick 25 yards out on the left which Flem took. It flew low and hard across their box and just skimmed the far post. They ran out winners 2-3.

Shark stood little chance with all three goals but made a couple of decent saves too. Danny was solid and resolute, Wes was impressive, Cooper was solid and Leonard looked good. Joe was lively on the left. Billy was busy and had a decent game and Honeyman was all energy. Flem had some moments but Watmore shaded MOM with a lively and threatening performance. Rab had some moments but shot at times when others were better placed. Longman looked good wide right, Tom was busy and ran hard but Esse was easily brushed off the ball.

Joe would not have been displeased with the performance. We moved the ball well and with little more composure and quality in the final third we would have been home and dry with a little to spare. Now, its time to concentrate on the league!

It was my daughter’s first game this season and she said she was not convinced by the keeper but she was impressed with Danny, Wes and Watmore. Make of that what you will!

Good game to watch. We are improving. Given the injuries we have I am glad we are out & it didnt go to a replay.
Agree although wouldn't quite say I'm glad we're out , but not too disappointed. Definitely didn't need a replay.

Cheers Silver.
Danny Mac was excellent and Billy is improving and pushing forward more and more. He is starting to make more positive forward passes and I think he will get better. Watmores pace and movement gave them problems and Longman was a threat. I like him. Reminds me of an old fashioned winger.
the key thing with longman is you get the sense when he has the ball he is not internally shitting himself/panicking. This is why we get soooooo many pull backs come to nothing. Lack of composure they call it. He is definitely one of our most composed players

Thoroughly enjoyable game, albeit a disappointing result😞

Composure in the final third the difference between the two teams.

I think Wes has been excellent this season but thought he had his poorest game since he came into the side. Hopefully just a blip 🙏

Bryan has something about him and not lacking pace or attacking intent 👍

Watmore, a bit of a headless chicken but pacey and threatening 👍

Starting to look like a group of players who can play a bit and as they gain more confidence the composure we’re lacking in the final third will come and we’ll be in for some exciting times 👍

Referee rightly booked Flemming and one of their players near the end. Let play flow and was hardly noticed (a good refereeing characteristic) 👍

BTW: I’d given them a penalty late in the game when Cooper pushed their player in the back!

Well done 👏

Last edited:
A decent performance and a good game to watch but beaten by more clinical opponents.

We started well. In next to no time we were on the front foot. Particularly impressive was Watmore who was running amok on the right. A couple of good runs from him set up a couple of decent chances which came to nothing. We were not done yet and another decent chance saw him put Danny in but his shot was well saved by the keeper to his left. It really did seem just a matter of time but although they had some possession they never really threatened. We were all thinking that a goal for us would come any moment but then they struck. It was very much against the trun of play. The ball got moved out to the right where their winger crossed almost unchallenged and their lanky 7 rose at the far post to nod it past Shark. We were shell shocked but we knew we would try very hard to get some momentum and equalise. After some good patterns of play we looked a threat but then conceded a second. A bit of a mix up at the back when we didn’t clear it well and their 21 was put through and side footed it wide of Shark for 0-2. It was really disappointing but we did not not feel sorry for ourselves. We continued to press but the final pass or a last minute interception let us down. Sadly Leonard went down just before the break and Longman came onto replace him with Danny moving to a CB place. The half ended with them 2 up.

Joe must have been pleased with the first half performance but not with our sloppy passing at times and also the score. However, we pressed from the start with Longman looking a threat on the right. He forced his way down the right and hit a firm shot which their keeper saved well. Joe was hoping for an early goal and it came on 56. A ball into their box was diverted into the goal by Watmore for 1-2. It was game on and we pressed for a second. Sadly, it was our downfall as they broke quickly, Cannon took it wide of Shark and slotted it home even though Wes was on the line but couldn’t prevent it. It looked like game over but Joe had other ideas. Bradshaw came on to replace Rab and then Esse came on to replace a cream crackered Watmore. We pushed and pressed and with 4 to go Bryan swung over a corner and whist everybody was watching Wes and Cooper Flem was left 15 yards out to sweep home our second. They were a little bit in panic mode and treated every trick in the book to slow the game down and waste time. Our big moment at the death came with a free kick 25 yards out on the left which Flem took. It flew low and hard across their box and just skimmed the far post. They ran out winners 2-3.

Shark stood little chance with all three goals but made a couple of decent saves too. Danny was solid and resolute, Wes was impressive, Cooper was solid and Leonard looked good. Joe was lively on the left. Billy was busy and had a decent game and Honeyman was all energy. Flem had some moments but Watmore shaded MOM with a lively and threatening performance. Rab had some moments but shot at times when others were better placed. Longman looked good wide right, Tom was busy and ran hard but Esse was easily brushed off the ball.

Joe would not have been displeased with the performance. We moved the ball well and with little more composure and quality in the final third we would have been home and dry with a little to spare. Now, its time to concentrate on the league!

It was my daughter’s first game this season and she said she was not convinced by the keeper but she was impressed with Danny, Wes and Watmore. Make of that what you will!
Hi silver missed you when I lost my seat!!! I hear you. Solid . tried. Ran hard . energetic etc etc. we have what we have in the budget. Their team is listed costing:worth 215m. That fxcking sub billed our at 30m. The Prem pollutes everything. But, truth be told demonstrates what £1m and £10m buys you. Both amounts are obscene- utterly obscene it’s game of football FFS

Referee rightly booked Flemming and one of their players near the end. Let play flow and was hardly noticed (a good refereeing characteristic) 👍

BTW: I’d given them a penalty late in the game when Cooper pushed their player in the back!

Well done 👏
Blatent pushing in the back must be one of the recent law changes. Everyone does it, and Referees and Lino's ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Longman looked handy & eager to take the ball forward.

On reffing: Since when doea play have to stop whenever there is a free kick around the penalty area? This is a massive advantage to the defence, giving them time to set up. Also wastes about 5 minutes. Really annoying if you are chasing the game.

Blatent pushing in the back must be one of the recent law changes. Everyone does it, and Referees and Lino's ignore it.
How about the blatent penalty for us when Cooper was held and thrown to the ground in the first half? Was right in line with it 100% pen!

I noticed that replays on Monday 15th & Tuesday 16th January are listed as 12am kick offs! Don't expect many fans, be like behind the doors friendly.

Just saying!