Just Back v Boro

silverlion

Staff member
A scrappy game against a poor side but a welcome three points.

Two mentions before the report. I could not believe how many people were queuing for German sausages at the big stall by the SE16 bar. Secondly I could not believe how many people were queueing for tickets. The line went back to Harry’s Bar before snaking past the temporary club shop. There must have been a few hundred there!

It was an even start but I though it was going to be one of those games with one of those refs. Their forward went down like a sack of potatoes after a powder puff challenge and they got a free kick. It was about as soft as they get. Fortunately nothing came of it and we just started to get into our stride. Bradshaw picked up a pass, moved inside and suffered a powder puff challenge but got a free kick. Flemming was licking his lips 25 yards out and definitely fancied his chances. He hit is low and hard, it was heading goalwards and it caught the heel of one of their defenders, caught the keeper out and went into the corner for 1-0. Five on the clock and we were one up. It’s a while since that has happened!

We pressed a little without much really happening and they though they were in with a chance. Their Howson looked to pull all the strings and they had a lot of possession but did very little with it. It really did look a matter of time but, as hard as they tried they did not look much good. Billy was charging around picking up the loose stuff, Sav looked busy, the defence looked solid, Bradshaw had some joy up front but they offered little threat and the half finished with our noses in front.

They had big instructions to come out all guns blazing and they had a decent five minutes but showed little threat. By contrast we weathered the storm and came more into it for a few minutes. And then the second goal came. A foul on half way gave us a free kick which was floated to the edge of their box. Cooper got his head to it, directed it across the box to Flem who was unmarked and he lashed it home form 10 yards for 2-0. They put on a couple of subs to freshen it up but they had little impact. With 20 to go the ball went over our byline and their sub picked it up and was going to do little with it. Zach was the ball boy who took it off him….much to his surprise…and got the game going again.

We needed fresh legs so Benik and Styles came on for Burey and Vogi. We had more energy in the middle but the pattern of the game changed very little. They had a lot of possession and despite three more subs for them and one of us, Honeyman on for Flem it took them 86 minutes to get a save out of Long. Even after 4 added minutes they could create very little and the crowd were giving it large about how poor they were. It ended with us as worthy winners and Rockin’ All Over the World rang out loud and proud

Long had little to do but played well. Danny was aggressive and solid, Hutch was dominant, Cooper set up the second goal and made no silly mistakes and Murray was similar. Billy was an absolute workhorse in the middle and Sav was solid as his partner. Burey had a mare and contributed very little. Bradshaw ran hard, Vogi had some moments but Flem was MOM with two goals and a couple of decent touches but did little else. Styles added some energy to the left, Benik looked more of a threat in 30 minutes than Bradshaw had for 60 minutes and Honeyman had some drive in a short cameo.

This was no classic. They were a poor side but many of us have seen Millwall flounder against poor sides like this. We kept a clean sheet, scored two decent goals, gained three points and are 13th just 4 points off the play offs. I’d take that every week!

Cheers Silver. Flemming, Saville and Mitchell were immense today and after one dodgy moment early on it was good to see Murray Wallace look something like the player he has been the last few years, it was probably his best game of the season so far.

Shout out to Long in goal as well, despite not having a lot to do he did get down smartly to a decent shot late on which saved us from a nervy last 5 minutes. His distribution is good and plays a key part in getting us up the pitch quickly and it seems to me that the defenders, Cooper and Hutch especially, look a lot happier and more settled playing in a back four.

Enjoyed watching Zian get two goals and thought the team played pretty well. I don’t think we should start Bradshaw upfront. Everyone knows he runs around like crazy, but he doesn’t score and he doesn’t lay the ball off to others. If he does get the ball his passes don’t go to anybody and if he gets the chance to shoot he’s never on target. He’s just not helping. I think we should put the German upfront with Zian and then replace his spot with Honeyman or Styles.
I am finally getting the opportunity to travel. I will be at Bristol City to add my advice in person.

I think the Q for pre purchased tickets had something to do with the postal strike last week

Enjoyed watching Zian get two goals and thought the team played pretty well. I don’t think we should start Bradshaw upfront. Everyone knows he runs around like crazy, but he doesn’t score and he doesn’t lay the ball off to others. If he does get the ball his passes don’t go to anybody and if he gets the chance to shoot he’s never on target. He’s just not helping. I think we should put the German upfront with Zian and then replace his spot with Honeyman or Styles.
I am finally getting the opportunity to travel. I will be at Bristol City to add my advice in person.
He ran around, because he was asked to do so, we defended from the front today, and Bradshaw was a big part of that, as good as some think Adobe is, he would not be able to do that, honeyman maybe as he seems to have an engine on him, well in the first few games of the season he did. Bradshaw always puts in a shift, but he would work better with a partner, just like Adobe would, they deserve a chance to recreate the bit of form they had last season.

So much more positive as a back four. For me the defence looks completely settled in this formation, it plays to all their strengths. The extra defender is a complete waste of time and actually gets in the way of Coops and Hutch. Fancy Bristol now. Don’t change it, onwards and upwards.

Thanks silver. Put Billy and Danny just ahead of the ball boy as MoM. Mail strike may cause queues but I am really noticing how many Euro tourists attend. That is good but inflates our real crowd number

Cheers for the report, Silver. Great to get the 3 points. Big question, even though there's more work to be done, has GR finally found the winning formula?

Cheers for the report, Silver. Great to get the 3 points. Big question, even though there's more work to be done, has GR finally found the winning formula?
He’s found the defence (which was always there) but higher up the pitch formation needs looking at in particular the isolated striker. The last two games were miles better and I’ll take 4 from 6 pts anyday.

I thought we were very, very comfortable yesterday. It was one of those games I knew we'd win, we were solid and in the mood.

Boro were pretty terrible though.

I think Voglsammer is wasted out wide and would be better as a striker. More physical presence and a hammer of a shot when in range of the goal. Burey wasn't great, but worth persevering with either starting certain games or affecting them from the bench.

The midfield two should now be set in stone unless they don't perform. Mitchell and Saville have been outstanding these past two games.

The defence always looks better when Hutch plays and Danny is our best right-back without question. Cooper plays better when Hutch does and Murray is always dependable at left-back. He had a bit of a chasing at Rotherham in the first half but as always, he eventually got the upper hand.

I'd also mention the keeper. He is two-footed and his distribution is superb. He has been very good since coming back into the team.

Thanks, as always Silver.
Few observations:
I don’t think I’ve ever watch such a gutless display by an away team. They were supposed to have had 63% possession but made no effort to get anything out of the game and managed just one shot on target.
Secondly, Zian is obviously a massive talent. Thirdly the German was beaten for pace once or twice. Lastly why did GR get involved and booked when we were two nil up? There was no point, show the same passion when we’re two nil down

Members online