Just Back (Sheffield Wednesday)

Ilderton Wanderer

Well not quite back, but on the rattler hurtling towards London alongside several hundred very happy lovely lovely geezers. Where to begin? There was an optimism in the air before the game as the players warmed up and Joe Edwards came over to our end to clap the 1600 hundred away fans. A superbly moving last post was impeccably observed by both sets of fans before the ref blew for KO.

Wednesday came out of the traps and tried to impose themselves but although we couldn’t seem to gain possession Wednesday couldn’t take advantage. A decent move by them ended with a good chance for their forward who scooped it wide from out a dangerous position. Slowly we grew into the game and we saw some little glimpses of what was to come. A corner delivered into the heart of the Wednesday box was met firmly by the head of Murray Wallace and we were one up.

From that moment on we never looked back and you could see the confidence growing. It looked like everyone wanted the ball and when we broke we got forward in numbers. Just before halftime came the second goal arrived and it was courtesy of a sweet volley from the rejuvenated Saville. Wednesday thought they had cleared their lines only for Saville to strike from distance. Wednesday were in disarray while the away end went bananas.

The second half continued in the same vein and before long we were three up, this time Harding smashing the ball into the net after another good move ended with the keeper stopping Bradshaws effort and the mighty Wes firing home. Unbelievably there was more to come as Norton-Cuffey danced into the box and slotted into the far corner. The rest of the game played out with a battered and deflated Sheffield Wednesday just trying to keep the score down. After the final whistle the players and fans celebrated wildly and the man of the moment Joe Edwards came and showed his appreciation to the travelling hordes of jubilant lions.

All in all a fantastic performance and a lot to be optimistic about. We kept the ball better, attacked in numbers and looked sharper, although it has to be said Wednesday were very poor. Sterner tests no doubt await us but for now we can enjoy a convincing performance with a much needed three points to back it up.

Finally as promised there was a magnificent tribute to Pam as all 1600 of us joined in with deafening applause. I hope the team and fans did her and her family proud.

Well not quite back, but on the rattler hurtling towards London alongside several hundred very happy lovely lovely geezers. Where to begin? There was an optimism in the air before the game as the players warmed up and Joe Edwards came over to our end to clap the 1600 hundred away fans. A superbly moving last post was impeccably observed by both sets of fans before the ref blew for KO.

Wednesday came out of the traps and tried to impose themselves but although we couldn’t seem to gain possession Wednesday couldn’t take advantage. A decent move by them ended with a good chance for their forward who scooped it wide from out a dangerous position. Slowly we grew into the game and we saw some little glimpses of what was to come. A corner delivered into the heart of the Wednesday box was met firmly by the head of Murray Wallace and we were one up.

From that moment on we never looked back and you could see the confidence growing. It looked like everyone wanted the ball and when we broke we got forward in numbers. Just before halftime came the second goal arrived and it was courtesy of a sweet volley from the rejuvenated Saville. Wednesday thought they had cleared their lines only for Saville to strike from distance. Wednesday were in disarray while the away end went bananas.

The second half continued in the same vein and before long we were three up, this time Harding smashing the ball into the net after another good move ended with the keeper stopping Bradshaws effort and the mighty Wes firing home. Unbelievably there was more to come as Norton-Cuffey danced into the box and slotted into the far corner. The rest of the game played out with a battered and deflated Sheffield Wednesday just trying to keep the score down. After the final whistle the players and fans celebrated wildly and the man of the moment Joe Edwards came and showed his appreciation to the travelling hordes of jubilant lions.

All in all a fantastic performance and a lot to be optimistic about. We kept the ball better, attacked in numbers and looked sharper, although it has to be said Wednesday were very poor. Sterner tests no doubt await us but for now we can enjoy a convincing performance with a much needed three points to back it up.

Finally as promised there was a magnificent tribute to Pam as all 1600 of us joined in with deafening applause. I hope the team and fans did her and her family proud.
Thanks Ilderton and nice to hear Joe saluted you lot both beforehand as well as after. 👍

Was nice to see the servicemen and women returning the applause to the wall fans as they were leaving the ground at the end.
Obviously appreciated the reception our lot gave them throughout the afternoon.
Also I thought the minute’s silence and tribute before the game was outstanding by both sets of fans.
A great day indeed, hopefully not tarnished by a fuckin speed camera on the way home 🤞

What was refreshing was the lack of the hapless hoof balls up to the midget and the passing ...yes passing the ball on the floor and what a difference but these were a pretty poor side so Sunderland & Ipswich will be better tests but cannot fault the team ,Bart made a few great saves to keep them out of the game and the high press with Honeyman covering every blade of grass, Say was huge but again Flemming I feel was absent most of the game,great noise from the wall fans & on the 77th minute around of applause for the recently departed Pam. Rip

What was refreshing was the lack of the hapless hoof balls up to the midget and the passing ...yes passing the ball on the floor and what a difference but these were a pretty poor side so Sunderland & Ipswich will be better tests but cannot fault the team ,Bart made a few great saves to keep them out of the game and the high press with Honeyman covering every blade of grass, Say was huge but again Flemming I feel was absent most of the game,great noise from the wall fans & on the 77th minute around of applause for the recently departed Pam. Rip
Well I watched it on a stream and thought Flemming was a danger throughout.
Just shows how we see different things in a game.

Well I watched it on a stream and thought Flemming was a danger throughout.
Just shows how we see different things in a game.

Agree with Phil apart from the bit about Flemming; like Eamon thought that he looked dangerous throughout. Having said that, hadn't noticed it before but he's as slow as a carthorse (at least he was in this game).

Agree with Phil apart from the bit about Flemming; like Eamon thought that he looked dangerous throughout. Having said that, hadn't noticed it before but he's as slow as a carthorse (at least he was in this game).
That really hit me yesterday, seems very average for speed. Even his feet seem slow, probably why he’s good at using his body strength. Maybe needs to up his speed of thought and use his passing ability quicker. Did receive some nice passes to feet yesterday in the middle quite forward. That is when we need Emakhu to find space and take that pass.

Flemming has absolutely no pace nor “quick feet” so gets caught in possession too often and can’t get away from opponents.

If I were in charge I’d get Teddy in for a few sessions to teach him how to overcome his lack of pace, use his undoubted skill to the full and be more effective💡

Flemming has absolutely no pace nor “quick feet” so gets caught in possession too often and can’t get away from opponents.

If I were in charge I’d get Teddy in for a few sessions to teach him how to overcome his lack of pace, use his undoubted skill to the full and be more effective💡
Glad you noticed purley less chance I get growled at.

Glad you noticed purley less chance I get growled at.
Only seen yesterday’s highlights.

Judgement made on his performances since he joined.

I think his problems originate from him having no pace and, prior to last season, he played all his football in Dutch football which is played at a more sedate pace than the Championship.

Hopefully, Edwards style of play will free him in more space which, of course, will give him more time 🙏

Only seen yesterday’s highlights.

Judgement made on his performances since he joined.

I think his problems originate from him having no pace and, prior to last season, he played all his football in Dutch football which is played at a more sedate pace than the Championship.

Hopefully, Edwards style of play will free him in more space which, of course, will give him more time 🙏
I personally think every single player will improve immensely under Edwardes. The difference yesterday was very noticeable and that’s with a couple of days has done under his umbrella. Not everyone will get on board quickly and his methods will take time to bed in but we just watch and smile.

Lets just temper everyones expectations. They could have scored a couple. They were chasing a lead and left themselves open for counters. On the plus side we actually looked like we might score. Very nice start. Ipswich will be a tuff test.

I expect an odd goal in it. Anyway saying that I am going contradict myself and chance 2-0 to Wall in league ladders. I live in hope. :grinning:

Was nice to see the servicemen and women returning the applause to the wall fans as they were leaving the ground at the end.
Obviously appreciated the reception our lot gave them throughout the afternoon.
Also I thought the minute’s silence and tribute before the game was outstanding by both sets of fans.
A great day indeed, hopefully not tarnished by a fuckin speed camera on the way home 🤞
Plead emotional distress mate. 👍😉

I’m scratching my head about this but:
Home form: 7 points & third from bottom
Away form: 13 points & 4th from top
(Purley, don’t say a word)
Its been going on a bit longer think we have only lost 3 of our last 15 away and we werent great at home at the end of last season either

Members online