Joe Edwards Ball

I don't think stats like these really mean that much without context; if the ball is just being played side to side you might have lots of accurate passes but a team with good movement might be more effective with less passes.
I get this in the workplace too; people looking at raw data and drawing wildly inaccurate conclusions because they are not applying context to the figures.

I'm not saying these passing stats are a bad thing, but like lendog days the only stats that really matter is the final score.

Agreed, but we look like were creating more clear cut chances?
Any stat wankers out there to confirm or refute that?
I think you're probably right SEL. I also think, probably as a result, we are often more open to counters at the back.

Horses for courses I suppose. If nothing else it means there is more ebb and flood in the game, which I like. Although it doesn't necessarily mean better results.

Reactions: SEL
Like many people, I thought the first half Saturday was the best we’d played in a long, long time. But, to go in level at half time was criminal really. These possession stats are often very misleading, pretty sure Boxing Day against Rangers they were something like 65-35 in their favour, and they were absolute dog shit. Keeper to full back, to centre half, back to keeper…..rinse and repeat. There has to be a purpose to it, so many teams now just passing in and around their own box for the sake of it. That said, I thought there was a purpose to our first half play on Saturday, just couldn’t make it count