Jimmy Carters travels

wellerwasbest

Possibly been up previously but a great read if you have not seen it
Love the Hull Away story and how he roasted Razor in a reseve game pushing John Doc into signing him

Funny when you read he had a hard life in some ways growing up, i always used to think he looked a bit posher than some of our lot ha , thinking i wonder what he makes of characters like Rhino, Uncle Les Hurlock, Ruddock etc

His love for the club really comes over
I Know many times fans go over the top with players who come from their own club but there really was one little spell where he was truly almost unplayable
I recall being on the half way line one game i think it was Reading at the old Den and a few of us said for the first time ever we actually felt sorry for a oppos player.
Their left back he was completly torn apart with pace and trickery , A few were laughing at one time as he tried to kick him and he had already gone up the touchline leaving him for dead !
Miss wingers in the modern game from time to time tbh

Last edited:
There's a great Walltalk podcast with Jimmy which covers a lot of this plus much more. He was an Arsenal fan as a kid but he is now Millwall through and through. In that 1991 season before we sold him he was unplayable. One of the quickest players to ever play for us.

He had a tough upbringing. His mother died when he was young and he was brought up by his ex-Army father. A top player for us and if you ever get the chance to meet him, he is a top bloke too.

I never appreciated, and I'm sure most of us didn't, he was of asian origin.

What a shame we didn't know at the time he was admired by all our fans. That would have quietened down those that label us as racist.

He was unplayable at times, but took a while to get going at Millwall.

Days before the internet so no one knew anything for sure unless you actually knew the players etc. Had the discussion a few times in the pub if Jimmy had a touch of the Tar Brush about him, but never guessed Indian with the surname Carter.