Ivan Toney

Well, he's been rightly punished...
He loves his Football, so an eight month ban for an active, professional Footballer, on the verge of being an International regular will hurt him inside, and will satisfy most in the game, I should think.

If you want a life time ban, a million pound fine and Ulster to Roger him up his arsehole with his prized red hot poker, it will not happen (well the poker bit might on one of Ulster's special pre-season party nights).
:grinning:

I have no sympathy with the lad. The sort of money he is earning means he would have absolutely no need to boost his income with some betting activities on the side. He clearly knew exactly what he was doing and the fact that he pleaded guilty to over 200 offences shows that this was not an isolated incident. An 8 month ban and a chicken feed £50,000 fine serves as a warning to others to stay well clear of betting scams if you are a footballer.
I have posted before that he is a dodgy number right back to his Peterborough days. He was, and maybe still is best mates with that well known ex Millwall player called Conor Wilkinson. They got into all sorts of dodgy scrapes and were not to be trusted at any level. Wilkinson was not satisfied with his Millwall experience and left to find his fortune with a bigger club, namely Bolton. He made little impression and was loaned out to another team whose manager was not impressed and sent him back. He had a brief spell with Orient which didn’t work out and he now plies his trade with that football colossus called Walsall.
Toney’s ban will hit him hard as he is unable to be part of football at any level. At this point his future looks very tenuous.

I have no sympathy with the lad. The sort of money he is earning means he would have absolutely no need to boost his income with some betting activities on the side. He clearly knew exactly what he was doing and the fact that he pleaded guilty to over 200 offences shows that this was not an isolated incident. An 8 month ban and a chicken feed £50,000 fine serves as a warning to others to stay well clear of betting scams if you are a footballer.
I have posted before that he is a dodgy number right back to his Peterborough days. He was, and maybe still is best mates with that well known ex Millwall player called Conor Wilkinson. They got into all sorts of dodgy scrapes and were not to be trusted at any level. Wilkinson was not satisfied with his Millwall experience and left to find his fortune with a bigger club, namely Bolton. He made little impression and was loaned out to another team whose manager was not impressed and sent him back. He had a brief spell with Orient which didn’t work out and he now plies his trade with that football colossus called Walsall.
Toney’s ban will hit him hard as he is unable to be part of football at any level. At this point his future looks very tenuous.
He’ll have plenty of time to spend down the bookies.😁😁😁😁😁

It's no surprise that some players get involved in gambling and other shitty stuff. They have an abundance of money and way too much downtime where they must get bored. I once read that team coaches on away games were open betting schools and with high stakes. Michael Owen and Rooney were but two that had there own personal bookies and would often lose £30k -£40k on a bad day, not even a days money to them!

Quite ironic that a footballer had/got a gambling problem when the game itself is litterd by and propped up by parasitic bookies, Like every addiction it has no prejudice and ain't choosy when finding it's next target. A filthy industry that preys on our kids, the vulnerable and poor for it's income revenues.

Given the chance i'd ban sportsman, celebrities and so called good lads-ex players from doing adverts for the bookies. Always smiling and bants with the lads whilst watching a game, everyone happy and a winner is what you see on the screens.

Twitchy Redknapp acting all innocent and playing the good husbad whilst he gives out contrived and shit hints to expectant and naive punters The reality for most heavy/ problem gamblers is they go home skint every night to an empty flat or a suffering family. Things stolen, lies, deceit whilst you gamble away the family shopping money is no fun, even when the fun stops.

Problem is it won't go away, the high street bookies might be becoming a thing of the past but gambling is a huge. You can grab your phone and gamble at 6am in the morning whilst you have the first shit of the day. The revenue that it brings the exchequer is astounding. It's a cunt of an addiction, I just see it as another tax on the vulnerable, weak, gullible, young and the poor.

* When the fun stops get a divorce.

Last edited:
It's no surprise that some players get involved in gambling and other shitty stuff. They have an abundance of money and way too much downtime where they must get bored. I once read that team coaches on away games were opening betting schools and with high stakes. Michael Owen and Rooney were but two that had there own personal bookies and would often lose £30k -£40k on a bad day, not even a day s money to them!

Quite ironic that a footballer had/got a gambling problem when the game itself is litterd by and propeed up by parasitic bookies, Like every addiction it has no prejudice and ain'y choosy when finding it's next target. A filthy industry that preys on our kids, the vulnerable and poor for it's income revenues.

Given the chance i'd ban sportsman, celebrities and so called good lads from doing adverts for the bookies. Always smiling and bants with the lads whilst watching a game, everyone happy and a winner is what you see on the screens.

Twitchy Redknapp acting all innocent and playing the good husbad whilst he gives out contrived and shit hints to expectant and naive punters The reality for most heavy/ problem gamblers is they go home skint evry night to an empty flat or a suffering fasmily. Things stolen, lies, deceit whilst you gamble away the family shopping money is no fun, even when the fun stops.

Problem is it won't go away, the high street bookies might be becoming a thing of the past but gambling is a huge. You can grab your phone and gamble at 6am in the morning whilst you have the first shit of the day. The revenue that it brings the exchequer is astounding. It's a cunt of an addiction, I just see it as another tax on the vulnerable, weak, gullible, young and the poor.

Dead right. Just another tax.

2 of those months he aint playing anyway. Should have been playing time. IMHO.
Cheat, remember his antics for SCUNThorpenwhich got him fuck all.

Well, he's been rightly punished...
He loves his Football, so an eight month ban for an active, professional Footballer, on the verge of being an International regular will hurt him inside, and will satisfy most in the game, I should think.

If you want a life time ban, a million pound fine and Ulster to Roger him up his arsehole with his prized red hot poker, it will not happen (well the poker bit might on one of Ulster's special pre-season party nights).
:grinning:
No, I don’t want him to lose his livelihood, and I think an 8 month ban (effectively a whole season) is a good punishment for a footballer who loves playing, but a £50,000 fine? That’s just ridiculous and no way does that pay for all those offences he committed!

Like I said in the opening post, £50,000 is chicken feed to somebody on Toney’s money. Think it would have been far better to have given his monthly salary to, say, a gambling addition charity. I don’t know what Toney’s on per week, but say he’s on £1M per year, then a gambling charity (or gambling charities), could do a lot with that sort of money to help the charity and it’s staff wages, as well as gamblers in their addiction, and maybe help them get work and a place to live if they‘ve fallen on hard times!

£1M is a fortune to you and me, but I doubt Mr. Toney, with all the money he‘s already made over the years, will miss that amount. Let his crime help others, instead of putting his monthly wage back into his bank account!

He can't train with the club either in that time. He's kiboshed any chance of a big move (I'd heard United were sniffing around). It's taken the FA long enough as well, wasn't this known well before the WC which was rumoured to be why Schnozgate didn't pick him? How many goals and points has he scored/earned in that time?

I have no sympathy with the lad. The sort of money he is earning means he would have absolutely no need to boost his income with some betting activities on the side.

Generally, betting is no good idea to boost your income as most people lose more than they gain. He probably thinks he's cleverer than he actually is, or he's addicted to betting. Apparently he didn't bet on any matches in which he played. Assuming he is not part of a wider betting mafia ring, the ruling is fair in my view.

It's no surprise that some players get involved in gambling and other shitty stuff. They have an abundance of money and way too much downtime where they must get bored. I once read that team coaches on away games were open betting schools and with high stakes. Michael Owen and Rooney were but two that had there own personal bookies and would often lose £30k -£40k on a bad day, not even a day s money to them!

Quite ironic that a footballer had/got a gambling problem when the game itself is litterd by and propeed up by parasitic bookies, Like every addiction it has no prejudice and ain'y choosy when finding it's next target. A filthy industry that preys on our kids, the vulnerable and poor for it's income revenues.

Given the chance i'd ban sportsman, celebrities and so called good lads-ex players from doing adverts for the bookies. Always smiling and bants with the lads whilst watching a game, everyone happy and a winner is what you see on the screens.

Twitchy Redknapp acting all innocent and playing the good husbad whilst he gives out contrived and shit hints to expectant and naive punters The reality for most heavy/ problem gamblers is they go home skint every night to an empty flat or a suffering family. Things stolen, lies, deceit whilst you gamble away the family shopping money is no fun, even when the fun stops.

Sounds like you speak from experience mate. 😉

Could well be that they can't fine him more. I pressume they have a tariff and ceiling for each offence when dishing out fines.
Your longer post above sums up nicely why gambling is such a problem.
You could say similar things about alcohol and fast food.
Advertising that is very cleverly designed and targeted to exactly the type of people they know will fall for the slick and harmless adverts.

You don’t even need to watch the telly any more. The adverts come direct to your phone, ffs.
My habits were formed many years ago and I’ve never set foot in a bookies in my life, so I don’t think I’m about to start now.

I really feel sorry for the youngsters of today. They have never been in greater need of help, guidance and education. It seems to me that generally these things have never been in shorter supply. It’s tragic.

Meanwhile, the executives who peddle these evils become richer and richer.

The only thing that sets Toney apart from his contemporaries is the vast wealth and income he surely has. I know clubs do their damndest to educate and guide young pros, but plenty slip through the net.

I watched Paul Merson last night taking a walk in the countryside. Even though he has not drunk for 3 years, nor gambled for 1, those two things still occupy nearly every waking thought the man has.

He is on his 3rd marriage and has 8 kids. Each time he hopes he has found happiness, but ultimately his twin mistresses combine to snatch it away.

Toney has been a very silly boy, but we don’t really know the true scale of his gambling problem.
It’s a shame, because for all his faults, he is a pretty good footballer.
He is going to find it very difficult to keep his nose clean during his ban.

Just a point…will he keep his wages? If a professional driver lost his licence to drive, he wouldn’t.
Effectively, Toney has lost his licence to play football. What’s the difference?
Oh! Of course, the money.

Could well be that they can't fine him more. I pressume they have a tariff and ceiling for each offence when dishing out fines.
You’re probably right, but in this day and age, especially with Prem footballers earning millions, maybe they need to look at these tariff fines and re-evaluate them?

Yes, he’s lost 8 months of playing football (and that’s gonna hurt), but apart from a £50,000 fine, he’ll still be paid his monthly salary, so he’s not going to be out of pocket!

Sounds like you speak from experience mate. 😉
Not me personally mate, but two mates. are addicted gamblers. I'm a sober alcoholic of nearly 18 years so understand how an addicts brain works. They've gambled everything and more. It's worse than crack to someone that's in deep. You can only imbibe so much booze or drugs before you black out, you can gamble for days on end, there's not really a cut off point until your're skint.

You could say similar things about alcohol and fast food.
Advertising that is very cleverly designed and targeted to exactly the type of people they know will fall for the slick and harmless adverts.
It's also about brand loyalty. Kids know the McDonalds/ coca cola logos for example and become accustomed to it from a very young age. A punter for life! Advertising agencies and bookies employ behaviour psycologists to locate trends and patterns that humans fall into. It's all very cynical and devious.

Look at online roulette and poker games and you'll find them very colourful and alluring. Many problem online gamblers are actually addicted to the whole process of placing a bet and watching. The winning part isn't the buzz/ride but the ritual is.

Dulcet music, flashing lights, happy faces and vivid screen displays are part of what draws you in and keeps you there. You're getting an array of dopamine hits from the actual process and routine rather than when you win. The triumph/ financial rewards becomes secondry and not what your actually chasing. You're brain is after more dopamine. It really is a vicsious circle.

I have worked with all sorts of addicts, it's the gamblers that i find most complex and harder to breakdown when i try and get into there heads. They in many ways are like a football hooligan. It's not so much the violence that's the hit but the process and slow build of adrenaline until the fuse pops.

The rush brought on by fear and adrenaline is very short lived but it's a superb buzz if that's your thing. You can't buy that from a pub or dealer! The comedown from a violent outburst is much longer than the initial buzz and why you have to keep going back.

I was a fucker for it, you can't even feel the clumps and boots coming in. No pain until hours later when your brain has reverted back to it's norm. The noise and screeching of sirens, the choas, fear, wild abandonment and release of endorphins is a hell of a hit when combined. It's why humans can be so violent. i have met several men over there years that will tell you that they prefer violence to sex and drugs cause the rush/ buzz is so great.

We're a strange bunch us humans!

I watched Paul Merson last night taking a walk in the countryside. Even though he has not drunk for 3 years, nor gambled for 1, those two things still occupy nearly every waking thought the man has.
I have a lot of respect for that man. He's fought with his demons for some time, be it bugle, booze or gambling. To be fair, three years is no time when you've been hooked for half a lifetime. It takes longer than that for the brain to alter and adapt and that involves a lot of work, reversing of habits, soul searching and guts and then replacing those moments with something far healthier and safe.

I'm going to try and write a book this summer about addiction. my addictive nature, habits and how i've overcome them. It's fascinating stuff once you're out the other side and abstinate.

Our brains are so complex, it's mad to think what i once was and am now. It's a skill and art is staying sober, one that can be learnt al long as the person wants to learn and change. The hardest step of climbing mountains is taking the first one! Once you've done that you're up and running.