interesting old Den pic

The pitch at the old den was really bad, it gave us a edge,
Cuss at the end of the season we would play lots of night games with teams who didn’t care (mid table) and we’d scrape out of relegation battle, remember the vermin coming 1979 well into may

1675197485510.png

Its funny for such a talked about game that has gone down in folklore and still talked about even today, ok for mainly the off the field "antics" this is the only picture i have ever seen of the game from the Millwall v West ham Harry Cripps Testimonial game at the old Den

Barry Kitchener with Geoff Hurst behind him and Alan Dorney behind him

There was a pic thread and others added theirs i put up but cant seem to find it
cant recall the title
Anyone ?

The power of the internet. just see Alexander is now at Manchester United
John Alexander (born 5 October 1955) is an English former footballer who holds the post of club secretary at Manchester United.

Born in Liverpool, Alexander began his football career with a club called Ulysses, before being picked up by Millwall, for whom he made his league debut in 1976. After scoring twice in 15 appearances over the course of two years with Millwall, he moved to Reading; he enjoyed greater success with Reading, scoring nine goals in 25 games. In 1981, he joined Northampton Town, but spent just one season with them before retiring from football at the age of 26 in 1982.

Upon retiring from football, Alexander got a job with the BBC, but he later returned to football as club secretary at Watford. In 2000, he took up the same post at Tottenham Hotspur, spending ten years there before applying for the same job at Manchester United, where he would replace the retiring Ken Ramsden.[1] He took over at Manchester United on 1 July 2010.[2] He is the uncle of Liverpool player Trent Alexander-Arnold.[3]

15 apps Millwall 2 Goals

Last edited:
There was a pic thread and others added theirs i put up but cant seem to find it
cant recall the title
Anyone ?

The power of the internet. just see Alexander is now at Manchester United
John Alexander (born 5 October 1955) is an English former footballer who holds the post of club secretary at Manchester United.

Born in Liverpool, Alexander began his football career with a club called Ulysses, before being picked up by Millwall, for whom he made his league debut in 1976. After scoring twice in 15 appearances over the course of two years with Millwall, he moved to Reading; he enjoyed greater success with Reading, scoring nine goals in 25 games. In 1981, he joined Northampton Town, but spent just one season with them before retiring from football at the age of 26 in 1982.

Upon retiring from football, Alexander got a job with the BBC, but he later returned to football as club secretary at Watford. In 2000, he took up the same post at Tottenham Hotspur, spending ten years there before applying for the same job at Manchester United, where he would replace the retiring Ken Ramsden.[1] He took over at Manchester United on 1 July 2010.[2] He is the uncle of Liverpool player Trent Alexander-Arnold.[3]

15 apps Millwall 2 Goals
Remember it but as you say can’t find it.
Was it before MO was shut down

View attachment 20798

Not something i have ever seen previously , also you never hear much or see any pictures of groundsman do you yet they are essental to the set up and all that goes into football

CBL end
Typical Millwall, rung missing on ladder, hope he remembered on the way down.
Maybe Lennie has that ladder at home thats why he keeps getting injured.

View attachment 20798

Not something i have ever seen previously , also you never hear much or see any pictures of groundsman do you yet they are essental to the set up and all that goes into football

CBL end
Fantastic photo of those were the days. I'll bet he is wearing collar and tie too as they did back then! Long live our groundsmen.
As an apprentice I was involved in the petrol pump industry, we had an old school fitter who went to petrol garages as they were then, immaculately dressed in suit, collar and tie, and would be on his knees with the oily, greasy innards of a petrol pump surrounding him! Never a sign of protective clothing, hi-vis jackets or hard hats. Loved his job.
Just to be pernickety Stowwall, the steps on a step ladder are treads, rungs are saved for one piece extending ladders! Know what you mean though.