Interesting Interview

tony_dolby

Just watched this interview with Nedum Onuoha (ex QPR) on the subject of relegation battles.

I wonder if our players thought the following about Edwards:

Also possibly explains why Harris had such success. Harris chose players whom he knew, when things were going wrong in the game, would revert to type and deliver the game-plan he wanted.

Last edited:
The players did not want or could not play the way JE wanted them too and they let themselves , the Club & the fans down with they dreadful displays on the pitch , , they felt more comfortable with the Harris method as it was an easy way to play football ,

The players did not want or could not play the way JE wanted them too and they let themselves , the Club & the fans down with they dreadful displays on the pitch , , they felt more comfortable with the Harris method as it was an easy way to play football ,
Or JE's system was crap.

Or JE's system was crap.

Yet, it wasn't crap for the five games over the Christmas period? Even the Edwards haters where holding up their hands and were probably just as confused as the rest of us.

I know Edwards is a subject of ridicule and in my book, mostly deserved. But it still baffles me how the team went on that really good run over the Christmas period? Playing decent football and in the way Edwards wanted them to play. If it wasn't for that run, we almost certainly would have dropped into the bottom three. As quick as that decent run happened, it then vanished into utter shit.

The whole episode was a bizarre period in the clubs history. Thankfully it ended on a terrific note. I just hope the club builds on it.

It's down to a manager to get the best of players by playing to there strengths. Edwards didn't do that. Edwards let us down. The players have shown since that they want to play for the club and are fully committed. Harris's ' easy way ' seems to much more fruitful and rewarding than what Edwards continued to persevere with. We didn't beat Leicester by playing an easy way.

Would you rather go down watching us play the not so easy and destructive way? Was it correct for a manager to continue with a way that players couldn't play and probably didn't want to because it was getting us humped every week.

We have some strange fans. I see calls for Edwards to come back as a coach because Harris isn't good enough. All about opinions i know but that one has me baffled. I doubt many people would have heard of him a year ago but now that want a walking disaster to come back and coach us

Hitting

"An easy way to play football" that gets results, a full stadium and people who have not been going returning.

Edwards "pretty football" was boring to watch and did not win many games.

I don’t think we had the players to play the Edwards way plus I think he must have lost respect from players at some point . The Harris way plays the percentages slightly in our favour by not too much fucking around at the back and throwing players forward when it’s safer to do so.

Yet, it wasn't crap for the five games over the Christmas period? Even the Edwards haters where holding up their hands and were probably just as confused as the rest of us.

I know Edwards is a subject of ridicule and in my book, mostly deserved. But it still baffles me how the team went on that really good run over the Christmas period? Playing decent football and in the way Edwards wanted them to play. If it wasn't for that run, we almost certainly would have dropped into the bottom three. As quick as that decent run happened, it then vanished into utter shit.

The whole episode was a bizarre period in the clubs history. Thankfully it ended on a terrific note. I just hope the club builds on it.
For me it all started to go badly wrong at QPR.

For 35 minutes we outplayed them without converting that dominance into goals.

When they scored we went to pieces and never recovered in that game or after 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
We have some strange fans. I see calls for Edwards to come back as a coach because Harris isn't good enough. All about opinions i know but that one has me baffled. I doubt many people would have heard of him a year ago but now that want a walking disaster to come back and coach us

Hitting

This genuinely mystifies me. Really, are there people slagging off Harris? I'm not saying he's the messiah and it remains to be seen how we fare next season. But seriously, he's got us out of jail in a season where 50 points wasn't enough to keep Brum up. We've just won 5 in a row. What do these people expect?

Last edited:
Really, are there people slagging off Harris?
Not that i see. I don't think it's a criticism of Harris just they they think Edwards is a good coach and just what the team need. He may well be but there's many good coaches out there that haven't pissed our fans off and tried to relegate us. He's probably cost JB a nice few quid as well so i doubt he's flavour of the month with him either.

I find it staggering beyond belief that anyone is still defending Edwards. He was an abject and total failure. He is not a good coach and I bet any money that anyone wants to put up that he will never be a manager of a football club again.

The wins over the New Year were not down to him or his "way". They were despite of him. If anything the fans won the QPR and Norwich games through support and sheer will and the players responded and the Bristol City game was basically a Rowett-esque smash and grab. Those wins papered over some serious cracks. What about Ipswich away when their goals came from not a single player tackling or closing down? What about the QPR away game in the first half when you had Harding and Cooper trying to play out of our penalty area like Man City defenders under Guardiola and failing dismally? What about the first half at Leicester when Murray Wallace was left isolated one-on-one continuously against one of the fastest wingers in the division with zero cover and Edwards did nothing to address it? What about the Sheffield Wednesday game when our game plan played so much into their hands it was as if their manager had instructed OUR players? I have heard second hand that the players thought he didn't have a clue. They had no idea what he wanted. He was out of his depth. The mere fact that the players had a meeting behind closed doors without Edwards tells you all you need to know.

As for Harris, he has saved this club when it needed him most and if you can't praise him to the heavens for that then you have no business supporting this club. If you can't see the difference he has made then you are blind. The man performed a minor miracle. The entire club was on the fucking floor and in deep shit after that Wednesday game and just a few days later, after one training session, we beat Southampton, at that time the most in-form team in the league, away from home.

I mean, seriously? Fucking hell.

The wins over the New Year were not down to him or his "way". They were despite of him.

If that is all aimed at me, read my post fully. I wasn't defending Edwards, like I said, I was truly baffled by the results. I've not once, not praised Harris for the *terrific* job he's done these past few weeks. I'm not even one for balling out players on here, or very, very rarely. I was even pretty minimal about the two back to back defeats when people on here were tearing their hair out over Harris, particularly after the Huddersfield game ("where was the support and sheer will from the players in Yorkshire"?).

So yeah, seriously? I have every business supporting the club and have done for over fifty five years, through good and bad.. Take my post for what it really was...
Just a non aggressive, football discussion, about a bizarre time at Millwall Football club.

:tophat:

Last edited:
Apart from Billy Bonds and Peter Anderson I've never wanted to see a manager get sacked and it was a shame JE's tenure didn't work, having worked with a young manager at a much lower level I see the way JE wanted to play, a fundamental aspect of that is 3 defenders who you are comfortable leaving 1 v 1 with respect to Cooper etc its not what they're good at so for me he didn't have the tools to do the job with so - we would have ben relegated which would have been disastrous so right call to change, JE's forte would be U23's building a team to play that way without the results pressure, I guess we'll never really know

"An easy way to play football" that gets results, a full stadium and people who have not been going returning.

Edwards "pretty football" was boring to watch and did not win many games.
As I said the majority of our players could not play the way he wanted the team to play and we all suffered , with the right type of players and time he will make a good coach somewhere as the Ipswich manager proved ( he had a 5 year plan , was given time and it came to.fruitition) , in the cut throat championship you do not have that time to experiment hence his dismise

I don't know how the bloke in the interview plays, but he speaks very well indeed.
He could replace that knob from Man City on the telly, all day long.

I find it staggering beyond belief that anyone is still defending Edwards. He was an abject and total failure. He is not a good coach and I bet any money that anyone wants to put up that he will never be a manager of a football club again.

The wins over the New Year were not down to him or his "way". They were despite of him. If anything the fans won the QPR and Norwich games through support and sheer will and the players responded and the Bristol City game was basically a Rowett-esque smash and grab. Those wins papered over some serious cracks. What about Ipswich away when their goals came from not a single player tackling or closing down? What about the QPR away game in the first half when you had Harding and Cooper trying to play out of our penalty area like Man City defenders under Guardiola and failing dismally? What about the first half at Leicester when Murray Wallace was left isolated one-on-one continuously against one of the fastest wingers in the division with zero cover and Edwards did nothing to address it? What about the Sheffield Wednesday game when our game plan played so much into their hands it was as if their manager had instructed OUR players? I have heard second hand that the players thought he didn't have a clue. They had no idea what he wanted. He was out of his depth. The mere fact that the players had a meeting behind closed doors without Edwards tells you all you need to know.

As for Harris, he has saved this club when it needed him most and if you can't praise him to the heavens for that then you have no business supporting this club. If you can't see the difference he has made then you are blind. The man performed a minor miracle. The entire club was on the fucking floor and in deep shit after that Wednesday game and just a few days later, after one training session, we beat Southampton, at that time the most in-form team in the league, away from home.

The thing is robbo we had a manager in Jedward that had failed as a player and so moved into coaching. I think that was always going to be an issue with the players. It is like somebody that has failed their driving test a few times thinking they can tell people how to drive cos they know the basics and the theory. It was never going to work with our senior pros and he obviously had no respect from the players.
Thank fcuk for NH and it was a Masterstroke to bring him back.

If that is all aimed at me, read my post fully. I wasn't defending Edwards, like I said, I was truly baffled by the results. I've not once, not praised Harris for the *terrific* job he's done these past few weeks. I'm not even one for balling out players on here, or very, very rarely. I was even pretty minimal about the two back to back defeats when people on here were tearing their hair out over Harris, particularly after the Huddersfield game ("where was the support and sheer will from the players in Yorkshire"?).

So yeah, seriously? I have every business supporting the club and have done for over fifty five years, through good and bad.. Take my post for what it really was...
Just a non aggressive, football discussion, about a bizarre time at Millwall Football club.

:tophat:

No it was absolutely not directed at you and if you thought it was then I apologise. I'm not one to dig out people individually for their opinions, especially someone like you who is life-long Millwall and more than entitled to say what you want. It was a wider point I was trying to make about the expectations of a minority of our fanbase who still don't want to credit Harris for turning the club around from the mess he was left with and who have this fantastical ideal that we should be playing better football, whatever that means.