Hull City v Millwall match thread

Having calmed down a bit after being unbelievably frustrated at today's game, I have regained a bit of perspective.

They were well lucky. We were better and deserved to win, let alone draw. They scored an excellent goal out of the blue.

It's still in our hands and I believe in the manager and his ability to pull results out when we need them because he has done it time and time before and can do again.

Keep the faith. Back the players. Back the manager.

Having calmed down a bit after being unbelievably frustrated at today's game, I have regained a bit of perspective.

They were well lucky. We were better and deserved to win, let alone draw. They scored an excellent goal out of the blue.

It's still in our hands and I believe in the manager and his ability to pull results out when we need them because he has done it time and time before and can do again.

Keep the faith. Back the players. Back the manager.
Agree with you regarding the game, but do you not think that it’s the manager backing our out of form players every week (Flemming for instance), that is holding back say, another No. 10 (Honeyman), who might fare better in that position? That, and maybe a change of formation to help Bradshaw out and make us less predictable against opposition defences?

If we are to give their manager credit for anything (and it really pains me to do so), he did something I cannot remember Rowett doing.....EVER.
He made subs at half time, and one of them scored the winner.
I don't know what that proves.....but it must prove something. :grinning:
You have a valid point. The better tactical managers will make wholesale changes to personnel and tactics as soon as they need to. Rowett sticks by his system no matter what, only swapping players for like for like positions.

We see it week in week out. 3 players off and 3 players on and very little changes apart from a few recharged legs.

I thought we’d struggle today.

I think Preston will succumb to the fortress though. We now have 5 cup finals and hopefully we step up when counted.

I've said on here numerous times we need a big physical forward to partner TB up front. He works his socks off, but needs a partner to take the load off him.
Two up top has got to be the way next season.
The fact that we bid for Dykes and Nisbet during the window makes me think GR wants to play that way as well. (hopefully).
Reason he doesn't at the moment is he doesn't have that quality to choose from.
This. 100%

Agreed, but I don’t think we need to offload any player (except maybe Bennett), in the summer, because the majority of them have all played their part in getting us to where we are this season.

It's Millwall, to get someone in, I'm afraid we need to offload. The likes of Evans, Malone as he seems to be out of favour are a couple who may go.

On his day Bennett is one of our better players, he just needs to stay fit. Latest injury was just unlucky, nothing about keeping himself in shape etc.

You have the likes of Shacks, Cresswell, Styles & Burke who will return to there clubs.

So that's at a minimum 4 players that need replacing with either more loans or signings. Evans is simply not being used so quite easily be 5 out.

Agree with you regarding the game, but do you not think that it’s the manager backing our out of form players every week (Flemming for instance), that is holding back say, another No. 10 (Honeyman), who might fare better in that position? That, and maybe a change of formation to help Bradshaw out and make us less predictable against opposition defences?

I absolutely agree. I would have changed the team a bit personally. Flemming is out of form, Burke has been ineffective and I rate Esse highly and would have started him. Especially considering we only played a tough game on Friday.

BUT, Rowett has done a brilliant job for us, he sees the players day-in and day-out, he is a million percent a better manager than I will ever be and has got us to this position and I trust him to do his very best to get us into the play-offs.

You have a valid point. The better tactical managers will make wholesale changes to personnel and tactics as soon as they need to. Rowett sticks by his system no matter what, only swapping players for like for like positions.

We see it week in week out. 3 players off and 3 players on and very little changes apart from a few recharged legs.

I think Preston will succumb to the fortress though. We now have 5 cup finals and hopefully we step up when counted.

Fair points by you both. Hull have spent a fucking fortune on players wages though. The one who scored today went to Monaco for £14million not long ago.

They are massively under-achieving and we are over-achieving.

I've said on here numerous times we need a big physical forward to partner TB up front. He works his socks off, but needs a partner to take the load off him.
Two up top has got to be the way next season.
The fact that we bid for Dykes and Nisbet during the window makes me think GR wants to play that way as well. (hopefully).
Reason he doesn't at the moment is he doesn't have that quality to choose from.

I would agree with all this. The manager was obviously desperate to get a striker in and we were very close to doing so but couldn't get one over the line. We are possibly two or three players away from being really competitive in this division. In fact, it's probably harsh to say that, we are already competing at a high level considering everything.

I’ve said before, predictability. Every team knows what to expect from us everybody talks about us knowing we are a tough long ball team. The element of attack is surprise. Corners and free kicks yawn. Have we scored from one recently?. 5 games left doubt it will change now, but might cost us. No relegation though.

I would agree with all this. The manager was obviously desperate to get a striker in and we were very close to doing so but couldn't get one over the line. We are possibly two or three players away from being really competitive in this division. In fact, it's probably harsh to say that, we are already competing at a high level considering everything.
Rowett did buy a forward, Watmore, but he’s not playing him regular enough for him to see exactly what he has! There were a lot of Boro supporters unhappy that their club sold Watmore to a Championship rival, as most of them thought he was a good player who would walk through walls if you asked him to!

Maybe then, Watmore is the man we need up top, partnering Bradshaw or replacing him, just for his pace alone?

I absolutely agree. I would have changed the team a bit personally. Flemming is out of form, Burke has been ineffective and I rate Esse highly and would have started him. Especially considering we only played a tough game on Friday.

BUT, Rowett has done a brilliant job for us, he sees the players day-in and day-out, he is a million percent a better manager than I will ever be and has got us to this position and I trust him to do his very best to get us into the play-offs.
I think Rowett has taken us to where we are this season, higher than recent past managers we’ve had, but has he taken us as far as he can now? He’s never achieved promotion with any of the previous Championship clubs he’s been with, so does that mean he’s just been unlucky, or has there been a refusal from him to change what‘s needed to be changed, to achieve the correct result?

JB backed Rowett financially last summer, bringing in the likes of Flemming, Voglsammer, etc. and they (though particularly Flemming) have contributed hugely to the success we’ve had this season. Rowett must be applauded for that, but for every Flemming that’s done well, he’s bought in an Evans, who hasn’t. Apart from a couple of cameo appearances, Evans has been conspicuous by his absence this season. He clearly doesn’t feature in Rowett’s future plans, and like Malone (facing something similar), will probably be offered to other clubs this summer!

Regardless of what division we’ll be in next season, the $64,000 question is, can we trust Rowett to recognise and buy the right creative midfielder/s we so desperately need? Will he buy a taller, stronger forward to work with Bradshaw, or will he continue to play Bradshaw alone up front?

I guess we’ll find out in the summer!

Luca Connell of Barnsley is an exceptionally good left footed centre midfielder. Would be great if we can get him in if Barnsley do not go up.

As for a striker position - who knows who can fill the void we're missing.

I think Rowett has taken us to where we are this season, higher than recent past managers we’ve had, but has he taken us as far as he can now? He’s never achieved promotion with any of the previous Championship clubs he’s been with, so does that mean he’s just been unlucky, or has there been a refusal from him to change what‘s needed to be changed, to achieve the correct result?

JB backed Rowett financially last summer, bringing in the likes of Flemming, Voglsammer, etc. and they (though particularly Flemming) have contributed hugely to the success we’ve had this season. Rowett must be applauded for that, but for every Flemming that’s done well, he’s bought in an Evans, who hasn’t. Apart from a couple of cameo appearances, Evans has been conspicuous by his absence this season. He clearly doesn’t feature in Rowett’s future plans, and like Malone (facing something similar), will probably be offered to other clubs this summer!

Regardless of what division we’ll be in next season, the $64,000 question is, can we trust Rowett to recognise and buy the right creative midfielder/s we so desperately need? Will he buy a taller, stronger forward to work with Bradshaw, or will he continue to play Bradshaw alone up front?

I guess we’ll find out in the summer!

I agree with a lot of what you say. If we'd have got the striker in that Rowett wanted then who knows? Maybe they'd have hit the ground running and we'd be even higher. Or they could have struggled or got injured. We'll never know.

As for Rowett, I think he's earned the right to go again next season whatever happens. He has improved us every season and he can do so again by bringing in better players and subtly altering the tactics. He has his faults as all managers do, but he is a brilliant manager at this level and has done a phenomenal job all in all.

Rowett did buy a forward, Watmore, but he’s not playing him regular enough for him to see exactly what he has! There were a lot of Boro supporters unhappy that their club sold Watmore to a Championship rival, as most of them thought he was a good player who would walk through walls if you asked him to!

Maybe then, Watmore is the man we need up top, partnering Bradshaw or replacing him, just for his pace alone?

He isn't an out-and-out striker. He has played as a 10, but mostly a wide forward for Boro and Sunderland beforehand. We were in for Dykes and the Jock and they are both proper strikers. The Dutch lad also who we were linked with. Apart from Bradshaw, we have very little option. Voglsammer hasn't impressed there. Maybe Flemming could play there? He is big enough and strong and a position change could bring about a change in form. I think teams know what Flemming can do now and limit the space in which he operates and also I think he might be suffering physically in what is a very tough and demanding league.

All very well and good the reports saying we played better and deserved it but as per usual at this time of the season, the Millwall players seem to 'bottle it' and lose their hunger, I hear all this talk on their website/social posts giving it, but the game tells a different story. It's all a bit sad because we had a real chance to do something but Millwall did a Millwall AGAIN. Frustration levels are through the roof. Rant over.

He isn't an out-and-out striker. He has played as a 10, but mostly a wide forward for Boro and Sunderland beforehand. We were in for Dykes and the Jock and they are both proper strikers. The Dutch lad also who we were linked with. Apart from Bradshaw, we have very little option. Voglsammer hasn't impressed there. Maybe Flemming could play there? He is big enough and strong and a position change could bring about a change in form. I think teams know what Flemming can do now and limit the space in which he operates and also I think he might be suffering physically in what is a very tough and demanding league.
I think Fleming would do well up front with Bradshaw. If not Fleming or Bennett then perhaps some of our faster more attacking wide midfielders like Esse, Burey or Burke could cause opposition defenders some problems and be another body in the box alongside Bradshaw when we attack.

Flemings form has dipped a bit but I think that's just as much to do with the opposition being more aware of our best player , to not state the obvious it's such a tight division any body can beat anybody it's very fine lines

Do we or don’t we start Esse.if we do at least we stop the predictability, in our line up and style of play. He can leave opponents for dead like he did today. Which inevitably creates space. Keep up the 1-2 s. Burke and Danny worked well today and opened hull up.
On this occasion I think Rowett is doing the right thing. Esse is a very lively talent but he’s not a seasoned Championship player and hasn’t had to play at the pace of this league for more than half an hour.
He’s very tricky and we are all fkin excited when he gets the ball, but so far he’s only had one instruction - attack and put the oppo defence under pressure.

If he starts, his role will be very different. He’ll be tracking back and spending his energy on the defensive side of the game too. Example - Honeyman.

Keep Esse fresh but bring him on earlier IMO.

Dummy back in having been well and truly spat out yesterday.
Reality check, Scunthorpe relegated to 6th tier of football yesterday, not that long ago we had a wonderful night up there.
5th in the table with 5 games to go would probably have been a dream for most of us before the season. Yes we are currently on a dodgy run of games and seem to have lost the ability to score. But we can and will turn it around, however I think GR has to change his attitude / tactics between now and the end of the season. Must stop playing lets not get beat football, and be more proactive than reactive. Has to somehow get our attacking players to take some of the chances we create. TB needs help, and could do without the ball being pumped up to him. IMHO we are a better team when we play on the floor, as was shown most of the time yesterday.
A change in formation 442 or 433 would help I think, Esse in from the start and either Flemming, Whatmore or even Burke upbfront with TB.
We have nothing to lose starting Saturday, lets send them northern twats home with their arses handed to them, and follow it with beating Brum. 2 possible banana skin away games follow but if we can get some confidence from 2 home wins, who knows. It could all boil down to the last game against Blackbum, lets hope we've pulled our fingers out and got it sorted, in a positive way, by then.
Get behind the boys.
COYL