Hull City v Millwall match thread

I think that is harsh on Rowett. Even if we finish 7th to 10th again for the next few seasons, he is still doing a great job considering the size of teams in this division and their spending power and the budget he has to play with.
Absolutely, whatever position we finish in (as long as it isn’t below 21st in the table), is a good season, as it guarantees us another spell in the Championship, and all that comes from that (chance of getting better gates, more TV money, new sponsors, more chances of signing better players, etc.), but in a way, Rowett’s success might also be the thing that undoes him!

Expectation is high now (and no, I’m not talking unrealistic expectations like the spotters do), because we’ve attracted better loanees and signed better players and we’ve stayed more in (or around) the play offs than before, making this Rowett’s best season ever! Whether we gain promotion or miss out, a lot of supporters next season will want Rowett and JB to go one better!

Hopefully, JB will give Rowett more money in the summer to go one better (especially if we’re still in the Championship), but getting in better players only works if your manager is prepared to mix things up a bit - changing tactics and formation when the team is either in trouble or there’s a need to consolidate what they have to see out and draw/win the game!

If Rowett doesn’t do that, then how will we be better off than this season? I can’t see that we will be! When Rowett first came to us, he did change tactics and formations during games, and in some of those games it worked and we turned potential defeats into draws and potential draws into wins! I’d like to see him go back to doing that, especially now that we have better players than we had nearly four years ago!

Rowett did buy a forward, Watmore, but he’s not playing him regular enough for him to see exactly what he has! There were a lot of Boro supporters unhappy that their club sold Watmore to a Championship rival, as most of them thought he was a good player who would walk through walls if you asked him to!

Maybe then, Watmore is the man we need up top, partnering Bradshaw or replacing him, just for his pace alone?
We've got, and have had, a number of these types of player. Wouldn't occasionally mind a lazy fucker who just stood around but could put the ball in the net 20 times a season!!

t's the Rowett way. He refuses to play Watmore and Burke together. He changes it when we are behind and there is no plan B. He has taken this club forward but I fear he doesn't know how to take us to the next level.
He can't make our players score, we're creating chances but can't finish. Can't put that on the manager. I said at the time when he left that we'd miss Afobe and we have. Bradshaw will score in spurts and then have a barren spell.

Rowett has got us to the ' next level ' ffs, we're in the play off spots. We weren't until he turned up. Poor defending and poor finishing win and lose you games, we're not far off. I felt we needed a striker in January, i know we tried and it wasn't to be but that's the difference we're missing. It's not Rowett, it's not being clinical in front of goal that's holding us back.

Hull we’re incredibly poor if we can’t put away sides like this we don’t deserve the play offs.
An incredibly poor side that has lost once at home ( Burnley ) in the last ten games. Have beat Norwich, West brom and Coventry scoring two and three goals and four at Sunderland. Perhaps that's why there's so much moaning and disappointment on these threads.

We just need to turn up at these northern shitholes and they'll roll over for us eh! We laugh at other fans when they've been turned over by us cause they think they should win just for turning up at smallwall. Not in this league you don't fella.

Imagine what it'd be like if we went up, deary me, the samaritans switchboard would fucking blow up :rotfl:

Have just watched the extended highlights on YouTube which were provided by Hull City TV. Admittedly it was a bit biased in their favour and even gave a comprehensive run down of their team selection but did not even include our line up!
We had some good moves and made some very acceptable chances which we did not take. The best two were the scooped shot from ten yards by Burke which hit the bar and the shot from Billy from the edge of their box which bounced wide. Honourable mention to the shot from Flem from the edge of their box at the death which their keeper flung himself to his left to parry it away. It was definitely one for the cameras! Sadly, the same cannot be said for the save the Long did not make from their only meaningful shot in the whole game which proved to be the winner. It was not a bullet shot which went right into the corner and hit the side netting. It was two or three feet from the post and Long really should have saved it. He didn’t even get a hand or a couple of fingers on the ball. It really does bring into question whether you play a keeper who can hoof the ball a mile down the field but struggles to make a regulation save. Or do you go with a great shot stopper who just makes regulation kicks from his box. For me it is the latter. Keepers are primarily in the team to stop shots and keep the opposition out. If they can kick well then that is a bonus. In three years at Hull Long made 57 appearances so, less than 20 appearances each season. Hardly prolific!
We move on to PNE on Saturday for a crucial game. Win and we are back on track but lose and it could be a disappointing end to a season which showed much promise ten games ago.

If you look at Longs positioning for the goal, he had that side of the goal covered with the other side more exposed.
He really should have got to that shot but his reaction times are constantly too slow with shots from distance which is a major flaw for a keeper at this level.

He can't make our players score, we're creating chances but can't finish. Can't put that on the manager. I said at the time when he left that we'd miss Afobe and we have. Bradshaw will score in spurts and then have a barren spell.

Rowett has got us to the ' next level ' ffs, we're in the play off spots. We weren't until he turned up. Poor defending and poor finishing win and lose you games, we're not far off. I felt we needed a striker in January, i know we tried and it wasn't to be but that's the difference we're missing. It's not Rowett, it's not being clinical in front of goal that's holding us back.
I was being critical but also praised him for the good he has done and that's why I sincerely hope he comes good. We all know he is a cautious manager and I sometimes wish he was a bit more gung ho but he is the Gaffer and its his head on the line. One thing I would say who would be a manager.