Harris to blame for today?

champs08

For me, he’s done brilliantly so far but watching back he’s got it wrong today. Cooper punting it forward to a 4ft striker and our Midfield non existent first half was symptomatic of how we set up. No composure, lack of the basics being done right and for the first time under Harris, a team without fight. Embarrassing.

The reason I’ve circled out Harris, is the simple fact he changed fck all first half and waited until late second half when the game was almost gone. Amateur, similar to Rowett who often waited until it was too late to change the game.

Our players today needed a rocket up their arse before the game, not at half time.

Were in a relegation fight and got out fought by the worst team in this division for not just this season, a good few years.

We were awful and if we don’t get it right at Huddersfield- I think we’ll go down. Today was a cluster fck, that has just either sent us on the journey to division 1 or (hopefully) sparked a truth within the club that we need to step up or we’re down.

Normally fuming after the game - but looking back it’s annoying me even more tonight. Embarrassing.

1712011712754.png

Suggests we had a good go. Not sure any manager can be blamed for players not putting away chances. We used to be a real threat from set pieces which were the main source of goals at one point. 21 shots and 11 corners on another day is enough to grab a few goals.

Not really a blame game, if we've no clinical finishers.
I get the point that maybe subs should have come on earlier, but their keeper would have still pulled off great saves.
I think our first 15 minutes or so, gave them more confidence than we should have allowed, and they capitalised on that.
Not moaning about any of ours, and I love Obafemis pace and strength, but unless the ball was played to his feet, his first touch was a little clumsy today. Could have made a big difference.
Feel that some of our lads , just like the rest of us do at times, had an off day.
Bit deflated, but on we go. COYL

I didn’t go and have only seen the highlights but:

1. I’m not a great fan of NH but think he got the team selection okay. We could debate Billy for Watmore but given Rotherham’s recent record possibly the more attacking lineup was right.
2. If the team was playing launch ball that’s got to be as much about the players as NH. With De Norre and Flemming playing, surely they’ve got to play the ball to feet.
3. Can’t believe a separate thread with the subject heading of De Norre was started implying the defeat was down to him/his selection 🤷‍♂️. From the highlights he created 2 of our better chances in the first half with nice layoffs - the first after winning a tackle - on the edge of Rotherham’s penalty area, something we haven’t seen too much of this season.
4. Both their goals came from the same player crossing/shooting from our left which suggests the marking could have been better. If Billy had played, would he had got closer? 🤔
5. Tanganga’s marking for both their goals could have been better, albeit not sure what he was doing in that part of the field for their first and where was Cooper? Was it a breakaway after a free-kick/corner to us when Cooper went forward? 🤷‍♂️
6. 21 efforts, 7 on target and just 1 goal. The main culprit 🤦‍♂️. That’s down to the players not NH.

A bad day at the office for everyone that could prove very expensive at the end of the season 😞

Can’t believe a separate thread with the subject heading of De Norre was started implying the defeat was down to him/his selection
You're right not to believe it was started for what you say above because i can promise you it wasn't. It's pointing out that his inclusion led to nothing and that we can pick up points without him too. Clearly the defeat is down to us not finishing off our chances in front of goal. One goal from 21 chances and poor, sloppy defending from an individual. There is no implication or finger pointing.

I really can't remember many of those 21 shots on goal.
Flemmings curler was well saved and their keeper patted one off the line from Tanganga?
Other than that, what chances did we miss or are they counting a missplaced hoof from Cooper that found it's way to their keeper as a shot?

Flemmings curler was well saved and their keeper patted one off the line from Tanganga?
Other than that, what chances did we miss or are they counting a missplaced hoof from Cooper that found it's way to their keeper as a shot?
It's every attempt, even if the ball only travels 6 inches before a defender blocks it.
Obafemi passed it to the keeper from 2 yards out, Cooper had a header in the 1st half, their were plenty of good chances.
For me, he’s done brilliantly so far but watching back he’s got it wrong today. Cooper punting it forward to a 4ft striker and our Midfield non existent first half was symptomatic of how we set up. No composure, lack of the basics being done right and for the first time under Harris, a team without fight. Embarrassing.

The reason I’ve circled out Harris, is the simple fact he changed fck all first half and waited until late second half when the game was almost gone. Amateur, similar to Rowett who often waited until it was too late to change the game.
It was the same players that created a lot of chances early in the 2nd half that were poor in the first, whether it was tactics or players playing poorly we don't know.
With hindsight, starting an attacking player instead of Honeyman was all we could perhaps argue, for the first time recently under Harris we had to break down a team that defended in numbers and the stats would suggest we did so I'd say it's down to the players not Harris.

We dont have a front man to put the ball in the net ... Team is mid 1st division squad ... We are where we are due to the fact that Joe experiment didnt work out as planed

After sleeping on it, I have a different opinion of yesterday:

Normally under Neil Harris, with the quality of the available squad we have, the tactics are to be solid at the back, build on that, and hopefully get chances from dead balls, or a counter attack/long ball. If we had played the second half like the shit dished up in the first half, we probably would have played out a 0-0 snooze fest. Instead, we gifted the worse team in the league two goals and three points they didn't actually need, They've finished and gone, they just wanted to try and take us with them... :grinning:

If there is any blame to be laid at Harris' door, we ended trying to play football in the second half and that opened up the game. Even at 1-1, we should have shut up shop, taken the point, and put it down to a bad day. But instead, we went looking for three points with a Millwall team who rarely scores two goals or more. Granted, we made chances, but never really looked like putting them away. That point we lost could well be costly come the end of the season.

Under Harris, we normally let teams pass themselves to sleep, try and break us down and it usually works in our favour. We are no good at forcing games when we have a striker who can't score to save his life. Also, we don't have the players to force games when our two main strikers are out. Yesterday proved that.

I do agree their keeper made a couple of decent saves, but on the whole, we looked pretty powder puff up front and edgy at the back. And this was against a piss poor team.

Since Neil's initial ten points from the twelve available, we've now taken one point from nine. Something similar happened with Edwards when we went on a five game unbeaten run, took eleven points from five games and then fell apart. I do hope this isn't happening all over again.

Once again, it's just my opinion of course and the above is not an actual known fact.

:grinning:

We lost a game we should have won yesterday. We need to keep our nerve and not panic now. It's in our hands to get out of this. I think six points will be enough.

It is vital that everyone now stays united. Pointing fingers and getting on the backs of players and managers will get us nowhere. We are in a fight and we need everyone fighting.

We missed two absolute sitters. One from a corner for Tanganga which was a free header in the middle of the goal on the six yard box and another from Obafemi virtually on the line that he poked a foot at and inexplicably missed.

Looking at the run-ins, Rotherham have obviously gone and the Sheffield Wednesday charge has dropped off. Think it's us, Brum, Plymouth or Huddersfield for the other spot. Sadly, I think two or three of the others saved themselves yesterday.
The other three have a lot of winnable games and I think we are going to have to find at least six points from somewhere.

After sleeping on it, I have a different opinion of yesterday:

Normally under Neil Harris, with the quality of the available squad we have, the tactics are to be solid at the back, build on that, and hopefully get chances from dead balls, or a counter attack/long ball. If we had played the second half like the shit dished up in the first half, we probably would have played out a 0-0 snooze fest. Instead, we gifted the worse team in the league two goals and three points they didn't actually need, They've finished and gone, they just wanted to try and take us with them... :grinning:

If there is any blame to be laid at Harris' door, we ended trying to play football in the second half and that opened up the game. Even at 1-1, we should have shut up shop, taken the point, and put it down to a bad day. But instead, we went looking for three points with a Millwall team who rarely scores two goals or more. Granted, we made chances, but never really looked like putting them away. That point we lost could well be costly come the end of the season.

Under Harris, we normally let teams pass themselves to sleep, try and break us down and it usually works in our favour. We are no good at forcing games when we have a striker who can't score to save his life. Also, we don't have the players to force games when our two main strikers are out. Yesterday proved that.

I do agree their keeper made a couple of decent saves, but on the whole, we looked pretty powder puff up front and edgy at the back. And this was against a piss poor team.

Since Neil's initial ten points from the twelve available, we've now taken one point from nine. Something similar happened with Edwards when we went on a five game unbeaten run, took eleven points from five games and then fell apart. I do hope this isn't happening all over again.

Once again, it's just my opinion of course and the above is not an actual known fact.

:grinning:

Agree with most of this. We actually went for the win at 1-1 and that left us open. A point wouldn't have been a terrible result.

I would disagree about the one point from nine with respect. Leeds are probably the best team in the league. West Brom were very happy with a point in a game we should definitely have won and we lost a game yesterday we should have at the very least got a point from.

We missed two absolute sitters. One from a corner for Tanganga which was a free header in the middle of the goal on the six yard box and another from Obafemi virtually on the line that he poked a foot at and inexplicably missed.
on obafemi, honestly thought the gk saved it? still should have been a goal, but wasnt a miss. Unless you are thinking of another chance but i only remember one clear cut chance for obafemi all game.

View attachment 25624

Suggests we had a good go. Not sure any manager can be blamed for players not putting away chances. We used to be a real threat from set pieces which were the main source of goals at one point. 21 shots and 11 corners on another day is enough to grab a few goals.
It's difficult to comprehend with stats like that against a team like Rotherham which should be one of our 'bread and butter' games to lose the way we did... It has to be psychological.

I really thought we had all this sewn up but now I'm not so sure... Huddersfield must be rubbing their hands together knowing they are playing us next. It's going to the wire this season by the looks of it.

on obafemi, honestly thought the gk saved it? still should have been a goal, but wasnt a miss. Unless you are thinking of another chance but i only remember one clear cut chance for obafemi all game.
Him and saville going for the same ball one yard out both missed it, should have been a certain goal.

Reactions: SEL
Agree with most of this. We actually went for the win at 1-1 and that left us open. A point wouldn't have been a terrible result.

I would disagree about the one point from nine with respect. Leeds are probably the best team in the league. West Brom were very happy with a point in a game we should definitely have won and we lost a game yesterday we should have at the very least got a point from.

Neil Harris has taken 12 points from 24. If he can continue that ratio, we should be okay.