GR Tactics

'ArryBoy

As someone said on Twitter, at half-time go 4 at back (sub Malone) and have extra in midfield so we could press. Swansea were allowed to swan around (pardon the pun) at the back

As someone said on Twitter, at half-time go 4 at back (sub Malone) and have extra in midfield so we could press. Swansea were allowed to swan around (pardon the pun) at the back
Yep, made us look like school boys chasing shadows. This wasn’t for a lack of effort or skill but piss poor tactics. Bad day at the office for GR.

I said to my lad at half time that he should change it then, not wait till we went a goal down.
GR said himself he considered changes at HT, but ultimately decided against it.

You know the rest. I don't need to say any more.

The only thing that I can think of in GR's defence is that the subs he would have made and did ultimately make were all players coming back from injury.
He may have thought that to demand 45 mins from any of them might have been a bit too much. Who knows?

Agree to a point but he wasn’t exactly helped by some abject performances from Malone and Jed Wallace in particular and to a lesser extent Saville and Afobe. Four Senior players who should be setting the bar for the likes of Mitchell, Danny Mac and Ballard but went missing when it really mattered.

Wallace’s second half showing was bordering on outright petulance, he played like the spoilt kid on a Sunday morning who thinks he’s better than everyone else while Scott Malone delivered a pathetically weak performance that even by his recent standards can only be described as a fucking disgrace.

Agree to a point but he wasn’t exactly helped by some abject performances from Malone and Jed Wallace in particular and to a lesser extent Saville and Afobe. Four Senior players who should be setting the bar for the likes of Mitchell, Danny Mac and Ballard but went missing when it really mattered.

Wallace’s second half showing was bordering on outright petulance, he played like the spoilt kid on a Sunday morning who thinks he’s better than everyone else while Scott Malone delivered a pathetically weak performance that even by his recent standards can only be described as a fucking disgrace.
Don't think Molly has done much since he got a permanent deal. 🤔

With a small squad losing Bradshaw, Bennett, Ballard, Leonard, Dutch etc at various times and poxy international breaks have all managed to nause up our season in some way shape or form.
IMHO

Last edited:
Yesterdays performance by some wasn't good enough I'm afraid. As a team, also wasn't good enough. And for once I'll say GR's tactics yesterday also wasn't good enough. Swansea's consistent fuck ups in defence in that 1st half should have really given us some idea that pressing hard at the top wouldve put them under great enough pressure to further fuck up.

Unfortunately they nicked a goal just after half time. But for me there was plenty of time to then switch it up and take on that pressing game. When we play the formation we played yesterday we are always open to sitting behind the ball and letting teams pass it about in front of us.
Going man for man in the 2nd half may have stopped that crap, but that didn't happen either. GR maybe pissed off with himself for not changing it to a 4-4-2. To be honest, we didn't do much to stop there passing game for the entire match, thus them having so much of the ball meant we couldn't get onto it and produce anything fruitful. We seem to lose alot of stimulus in the middle of the pitch when we play 5 at the back and a defensive midfielder. Some teams it works against, but others you can see clearly from the off when it doesn't, yesterday was the latter.

We can't win them all. I don't expect us to win them all. But what I do expect is to always give 100% when donning on the shirt, home or away. If you leave everything out on the pitch and lose, nobody can fault you.

Jed can be extremely frustrating. You don't know what jed is going to turn up game after game. One game he can be very good, the next absolutely nothing comes off for him, there's no middle ground to his game. How many times have we said that over the seasons!

Molly wasn't at the races yesterday or against Stoke. Again with him there is no middle ground. Its either a very good game, or a game to completely forget.

Should both be dropped for the next game, perhaps?

Never mind the result, it was the effort from the majority that got to me yesterday. I can take a loss, but I can take a lack of effort or will to turn it around. What we lack in skill we have to make up for in our efforts, it's what gets us over the line at times.

Onto the next one, just show us a little more next game please Millwall.

I don't think many played too well, we huffed and puffed, Murray was outstanding as ever though. Afobe is there to score goals, not just chase down defenders, they all tried, you cant just chase arounds like headless chickens for 90 minutes. GR I think made a tactical error, we needed to go 433 or 442, but whatever we needed 3 across the middle, as the Mitchell and Saville if they pushed up to close down , then left a big gap for Swansea to play into. Also bringing on ball carrier like Burke and Ojo pegged them back, really of the three chances Ojo half created, that one across the goal line was a sitter for our one striker who comes in on to chances like that- Bradshaw, typical!

Heard the chappy on ifollow at half time mention that there was some booing as the teams were coming off the pitch... Any idea what that was about?

GR tactics are woeful & it seems he reacts to late and makes the wrong subs , it was crying out to bolster the midfield and put more pace upfront at halftime , kept on the laziest player in A fumble and takes off Bradshaw who at least was trying to close down , Jed was dire along with Malone so why wait ?....this is what lets GR & his staff down.... another chance gone

I thought when Jed was subbed we began to play with greater fluency and created more than enough chances to salvage at least a draw 🤷‍♂️

I thought he was appalling from start to end and can’t wait for him to depart 🙏

If he does go it’ll be interesting to see the impact it’ll have on the team’s play next season. Personally, I think it’ll improve significantly (y)

Last edited:
Frustrating that we didnt make any changes to the shape of the side, Jed playing behind the two strikes doesnt work but and didnt work with Ojo either, also as most have pointed out Malone should have been hooked at HT

I thought when Jed was subbed we began to play with greater fluency and created more than enough chances to salvage at least a draw 🤷‍♂️

I thought he was appalling from start to end and can’t wait for him to depart 🙏

If he does go it’ll be interesting to see the impact it’ll have on the team’s play next season. Personally, I think it’ll improve significantly (y)
Overall Wallace has been good for us, but sometimes I think he starts to believe his press! Those little flicks and spins look good if they come off, but hopeless if not. The Swansea game was one to hold the ball, and not be clever. Once Burke and Ojo who just keep it simple , and run with the ball, came on, we were finally t the races. I find it hard that managers sometimes cant see the bleeding obvious, but taking off star man is hard, he might just have that one moment, which is all he needs. Ojo is the one that makes things happen, tricky and wins free kicks all over the place