From Rowett's 1st game to now - Comparison.

robbo555

I was looking at the squad for Rowett's first game v Stoke and is was striking to me the quality of players we have now to then.

First game squad

Bialkowski, Romeo, Hutchinson, Cooper, M.Wallace, J. Wallace, Molumby, Williams, Ferguson, Thompson, Bradshaw.

Subs Steele, McCarthy, Smith, Pearce, O’Brien, Mahoney, Bodvarsson.

Last game squad

Long, McNamara, Cresswell, Cooper, M. Wallace, Leonard, Saville, Honeyman, Flemming, Voglsammer, Bradshaw.

Subs Bialkowski, Hutchinson, Malone, Shackleton, Burke, Esse, Watmore.

From that first game a few have moved on.

Romeo - Cardiff.
Jed and Molumby - WBA.
Williams - Gillingham.
Ferguson - Rotherham.
Thompson - Peterborough.
Steele - non-league.
McCarthy - Wycombe.
Smith -Salford.
Pearce - Wimbledon.
O'Brien - Gillingham.
Mahoney - Huddersfield.
Bodvarsson - Bolton.

Quite a few of those now play in Leagues One and Two and of those, some barely start games.

Staggering that with that squad Rowett took us from the bottom to a top-half finish and that the players we have replaced them with are undoubtedly higher quality.

A ridiculously long thread that should have been edited, but I'm bored.

Basically, I am saying we have really progressed the last few years.

On a serious note, the biggest difference is Flemming (some would also argue McNamara over Romeo) but other that that (& I’m being kind to Williams) I wouldn’t think there was much between the teams other than the fact that Bradshaw has started turning his efforts into goals

On a serious note, the biggest difference is Flemming (some would also argue McNamara over Romeo) but other that that (& I’m being kind to Williams) I wouldn’t think there was much between the teams other than the fact that Bradshaw has started turning his efforts into goals

I would agree with that. Although the depth of the squad is a lot better. Also, the amount of players in that initial squad that are now playing at a lower level and not starting is surprisingly high.

For the first spell in decades, we havn't had to sell our best players so add to that the increase in wage budget each season, it has meant an improvement to the squad every year.
We can't afford to do it quickly but it looks like it's possible to do it again next season with a few big earners being out of contract, that might free up a decent amount if they move on.
New training ground and possible regen means there ain't many clubs in the country that wouldn't like to be in our position.

For the first spell in decades, we havn't had to sell our best players so add to that the increase in wage budget each season, it has meant an improvement to the squad every year.
We can't afford to do it quickly but it looks like it's possible to do it again next season with a few big earners being out of contract, that might free up a decent amount if they move on.
New training ground and possible regen means there ain't many clubs in the country that wouldn't like to be in our position.
Apart from the £60 million we technically owe to the Yank

JB would get that £60M back (and more), if we got to the prem next season!
How? He can't just take a lump of money out and stick it in his bin. He gets his money back via turning debt in to shares and with the interest that his wifes company charges the club for loans etc.

Our running costs, staff and player wages will multiply should we be promoted, just as they did when we joined the championship. A huge percentage of any possible premier income goes straight back out of the door.

It's not the promised land. Most, if not every club in that league have huge debts. Why is that and how does JB pocket £60 million or more? Facts please and not if's, buts and maybes :grinning:

No argument that he's been a good custodian of the club but first and foremost he's a businesman and not the messiah. He and his family company are venture capitalists, they don't do nothing for nothing nor are they the benevolant society.

We have a £20 million credit facility from Chesnut hill ventures, we currently use half of that which is paid back with an interest rate of 12%. It's currently frozen/waived for the time being. It will be paid in time and with interest. Venture capitalism!!

Last edited:
Apart from the £60 million we technically owe to the Yank
I don't think that matters to us as a club, no one is going to buy the club with a 60m debt or pay off that debt as part of buying it.
There isn't 60m in the bank to pay back JB and it was his choice to have the debt.
I have always thought he will make the money back through the regen, if that goes through as proposed then he and the club benefit.

I don't see promotion as a big financial change as some seem to think, as Peckham just said, a lot of expenditure comes with promotion and when you see relegation threatened Leicester were 194m in debt you can see why we won't be as well off as you might think.

How? He can't just take a lump of money out and stick it in his bin. He gets his money back via turning debt in to shares and with the interest that his wifes company charges the club for loans etc.
That’s what I was trying to say (get at!)

You just put it more elegantly and succinctly than I did! :grinning:
No argument that he's been a good custodian of the club but first and foremost he's a businesman and not the messiah.
I don’t mind that he’s not the messiah, as long as he doesn’t become a naughty boy! :grinning:

Promotion to the PL would make a huge difference to our revenue. Last year's accounts show that our income was just over £18m. According to Kieran Maguire - one of the leading football finance experts - the winners of last season's C'ship play-off final were guaranteed to generate, at least, £170m this season. No doubt costs would increase but an extra £150m plus parachute payments for 3 years after our likely relegation can't do anything other than make a huge difference to our financial well-being (assuming we don't go mad and spend a ridiculous amount of money on new players).

No doubt promotion would also lead to changes in the character of the club. Whether that is a price worth paying is another matter.

He’s gone from cup half empty to half full ! Perhaps he’s sickening from something? 🤣🤣

He’s gone from cup half empty to half full ! Perhaps he’s sickening from something? 🤣🤣
I imagine he has run out of anything to say, we have been in and around the play offs now for a long time and what is there that is new to talk about that we don't already know or see for ourselves?

All the talk of money is conjecture. Yes, we would get £170m, but odds on we'd spend £60-70m of that on players plus £15-20m to agents. Players salaries would go through the roof, stadium upgrades would be needed. The golden goose doesn’t always lay golden eggs. 5 years time racing certainty we'd be in a worse financial (and league) position than now.

All the talk of money is conjecture. Yes, we would get £170m, but odds on we'd spend £60-70m of that on players plus £15-20m to agents. Players salaries would go through the roof, stadium upgrades would be needed. The golden goose doesn’t always lay golden eggs. 5 years time racing certainty we'd be in a worse financial (and league) position than now.
I’ll remember not to call you when I need a pick me up! 😉

It's the nation states and chelsea that have taken the money in the top division to new levels, doesn't seem to matter what division you are in, the more money you are given , the more that players and agents earn.
It's not as though any club thinks ' we have got an extra 2 million, let's cut our ticket prices to a realistic cost'.

If the premiership bosses don't kick out newcastle's owners for their lies about ownership then football is over at the top, no financial regulations will stop the top clubs getting around the rules, buying premiership and European titles will be worse than ever.

Members online