Lion-in-exile

We have no real wingers so the diamond for me:

Shark

Danny Mc, Hutch, Cooper, Bryan

Mitchell or CDN

Mitchell or CDN, Saville

Flemming or Esse or Watmore

Rab, Bradders or Watmore

Turning D.mac into a wing back is the right thing to do, he made a few errors last Saturday but I think he has the potential to switch
Same as Joe on the left , still think we need an attitude player in the middle to disrupt these high press teams, whether the Ghost can do that still early to say.

I just don't think we have the players to play a back 5. Not the attacking version of it anyway. Even our defensive version of it is too defensive, just sitting back and waiting for shit to happen. Yes it's worked on occasions but more often than not we end up making things a lot more difficult for ourselves. Him citing Blackburn as an example of a 4 not working is a bit weak, we didn't lose because we had a back 4.

Last edited:
To a certain extent I agree with what GR has said in that article, but the problem is he is not following through on his own thought process.
If a system isn't working, and it was patently obvious from early on in the BC game that it wasn't, then you need to change things.
The annoying thing for me is that he has recruited players who can play in differing positions and formations but he is being too rigid in changing, or too slow.
Going back to our ideal formation, for me Flemming has to be played just behind our striker(s) in the centre. Either with 3 or 2 CBs. Anywhere else and he just seems wasted.

We seemed to be doing well with Bradshaw and Fleming spearheading the attack through the middle last season but we’ve dropped Bradshaw and stuck Fleming out wide🤷🏻‍♂️. If I was Bradshaw I’d do a Long and clear off as well.
How many of our previous managers set up with 7 defensive outfield players at the Den? None that I can think of. The opposition turn up hoping to quieten the crowd and get a draw and cannot believe their luck when they see that’s what we are trying to do as well. Its so tedious to watch and damn frustrating when we know we have players better suited to a back 4 and attack minded players on the bench and not involved until we are losing or brought on late in the game.

If a system isn't working, and it was patently obvious from early on in the BC game that it wasn't, then you need to change things.

It's interesting GR talks about Man City and their back five tactics in the article.
The thing with City is; Guardiola quite often changes things around early in games when things are proving difficult. There is no set minutes time for any changes. With GR, it's usually one or mostly the other, probably because of certain players and their limitations.

The players he has been bringing in points to trying to be more flexible, if that's the case, maybe Cooper will go and he will bring in ball playing back three players on loan. I thought that was the assumption/thinking about bringing in Wes Harding. I mean at Rotherham he was praised for slotting in at full-back, centre-half or wing-back because he is a decent ball player as well as a solid defender (when he turns up).

Just my opinions, of course, and just all guess work with fuck all help from the bloke in the car park.

It's interesting GR talks about Man City and their back five tactics in the article.
The thing with City is; Guardiola quite often changes things around early in games when things are proving difficult. There is no set minutes time for any changes. With GR, it's usually one or mostly the other, probably because of certain players and their limitations.
This.

And Guardiola can play a back five because he has the players who are comfortable passing out from the back, which our lot aren’t!

A back 5 works when you’re away from home, soaking up pressure and hitting teams on counter attack.

At home when 99% of teams are playing for a draw, you need to impose yourself. Because the gaps aren’t going to appear like they would away from home. I’d say switch to a narrow 4-4-2 at home, get Flemming alot more involved, and keep the 5 at the back for away games.

Bad pass, poor first touch, lack of movement etc. can sometimes mean that whatever formation you use , you don't play well and lose.