Football Graffiti

Ilderton Wanderer

What happened to it? You just don’t see it anymore. Years ago everywhere you went territory was marked out. A ride on the top deck of a bus along the OKR and there would be a ‘MFC RULES OK!’ or a simple ‘MILLWALL’ sprayed or on any spare wall or boarded up shop front. Of course you had the odd intruder from a rival mob who risked life and limb to advertise their allegiances but you could always tell roughly where you was in the capital just by reading the graffiti.

I remember when a trip anywhere west you would normally see ‘CFC Skins’ everywhere and a journey on the district line into deepest east London would be accompanied by the ominous sight of two crossed hammers every time you looked out the window just to remind you that you were in enemy territory.

My personal favourite was an absolutely massive ‘MILLWALL KILL WEST HAM’ that someone had gone to the trouble of painting on the wall of the tennis courts (tennis courts in the loosest sense) in Southwark park, simple and straight to the point. You would probably get nicked for a hate crime or something nowadays for that. I wonder when it died out and if any still survives around South East London like the old ‘Shelter’ signs from the war.

What happened to it? You just don’t see it anymore. Years ago everywhere you went territory was marked out. A ride on the top deck of a bus along the OKR and there would be a ‘MFC RULES OK!’ or a simple ‘MILLWALL’ sprayed or on any spare wall or boarded up shop front. Of course you had the odd intruder from a rival mob who risked life and limb to advertise their allegiances but you could always tell roughly where you was in the capital just by reading the graffiti.

I remember when a trip anywhere west you would normally see ‘CFC Skins’ everywhere and a journey on the district line into deepest east London would be accompanied by the ominous sight of two crossed hammers every time you looked out the window just to remind you that you were in enemy territory.

My personal favourite was an absolutely massive ‘MILLWALL KILL WEST HAM’ that someone had gone to the trouble of painting on the wall of the tennis courts (tennis courts in the loosest sense) in Southwark park, simple and straight to the point. You would probably get nicked for a hate crime or something nowadays for that. I wonder when it died out and if any still survives around South East London like the old ‘Shelter’ signs from the war.
WHU Turn Back on the way into the Ilderton End was a classic.

There is a simple Doncaster Rovers painted on a wall (trackside) as you approach LB either,National Rail empoyee or a daring DR supporter.