FFP rule change for championship clubs

Peckham Lion

Staff member
Not sure that this will benefit the smaller clubs

This is like raising someone’s credit card limit when they constantly exceed the existing one.
That's what i got from it. Keep gambling until you have nothing left other than debt and hope promotion happens so you clear the debt. Bonkers. I read a few articles a couple of seasons back when Villa went up via the play offs. If they hadn't it was quite likely that they wouldn't exist now due to the debt accrued when trying to get out of the championship.

That's what i got from it. Keep gambling until you have nothing left other than debt and hope promotion happens so you clear the debt. Bonkers. I read a few articles a couple of seasons back when Villa went up via the play offs. If they hadn't it was quite likely that they wouldn't exist now due to the debt accrued when trying to get out of the championship.
Wasn't it Derby that they beat? Loser was destined to administration because both had gambled so much on promotion.

Not sure that this will benefit the smaller clubs

It won't.

The gulf in financial clout between the PL and C'ship grows wider by the year. With this and the new Sky TV deal, it appears that the EFL are ok with the same thing happening between the C'ship and L1.

I can actually see more clubs going out of business with this. There should be a 'dividend' clause that PL clubs who 'cherry-pick' the cream of the lower divisions pay a percentage of their cup/league windfall to them.

Why bother setting spending limits at all then?
So that you can pretend you are exercising some control over clubs.
The reality is that some clubs( Man City) have so much money they don’t give a fuck about rules, while others try to compete with them (Forest and Everton) but are not rich enough, so they get points deductions.

The reality is that some clubs( Man City) have so much money they don’t give a fuck about rules, while others try to compete with them (Forest and Everton) but are not rich enough, so they get points deductions.
Forest didn't give a fuck about rules whilst in the championship which meant we couldn't compete with them. Fuck them.

No matter how creative the accounting is, a half savvy auditor could find the "creativity" easily, the truth is everyone knows what's going on but does not want to buffer the gravy train.

Members online