Enough of this minutes silence/applause bullshit

It’s the TV companies and the corporate monster that is the premier league behind it. They don’t actually give a shit about whatever the silence/applause is for but it gets them exposure across the world particularly in America and Asia where the money is and that is what they really care about.

I agree with the wider point though. At the risk of sounding a bit heartless I’ve been thinking this for a while. It seems to me that there is a modern trend, driven of course by the pox of social media, of ‘look at me grieving’ kind of takes, almost turning it into a competition. Everyone is different of course but a bit of quiet, private dignified reflection is needed in my opinion.

I think you’ll find the minute’s silence is for both the earthquake and flood.
It was a minutes applause which wasn’t entirely appropriate really. Thought I heard some booing until a Millwall chant drowned it out. Arthur, if the disaster happened in this country we would have held a minutes silence irrespective of the fact it’s not football related. People are people wherever they happen to be born, you can always stay in the bar area for an extra 60 seconds if you don’t want to participate

They had the red cross name and insignia up on the big screen in the corner, I'm happy to give them a minutes clapping for their efforts.

Last edited:
It was a minutes applause which wasn’t entirely appropriate really. Thought I heard some booing until a Millwall chant drowned it out. Arthur, if the disaster happened in this country we would have held a minutes silence irrespective of the fact it’s not football related. People are people wherever they happen to be born, you can always stay in the bar area for an extra 60 seconds if you don’t want to participate
Every week there will be people dying in tragic circumstances somewhere in the world - maybe we can have a minutes applause as a regular, every home game thing, we'll just add it onto the end of Let Em Come. That will be brilliant and show the world just what a friendly and compassionate club we are.

Every week there will be people dying in tragic circumstances somewhere in the world - maybe we can have a minutes applause as a regular, every home game thing, we'll just add it onto the end of Let Em Come. That will be brilliant and show the world just what a friendly and compassionate club we are.
You're right it would be every week.

Just a thought, maybe we could replace Hey Jude with a minutes clapping

I don't think I'm particularly insensitive but after yesterday I do think this gesture has gone too far. I think it actually loses its impact of sorrow. Also let us nit forget the Libyians shot dead in cold blood a Met. Copper doing her duty on a London street.
Where does it end and what ne t a round of applause or minutes silence for Hitler's death anniversary date?

Understood