Days gone by . . .

Durhamlion

Missus Christmas do tonight, including partners. Hate these things as I don't know anyone and am usually seated next to some boring bastard.
Tonight was sat next to a newbie, asked the usual, who do you support? Expected Sunderland / Newcastle but no, got a Southern bloke from Isleworth who supported Chelsea.
We got chatting and he said the 1985 games - FA and League cup games were the most he'd seen them ever back off (got run in usual speak)
I went to all 3, home and away and remain in the top few games that I've ever been to.
Amazing memories of bonfires on the terraces, Speedie missing a penalty and pure evil at our place.
Wouldn't wanted to be Chelsea that night

The old away end at Chelsea, you were miles back from the pitch. Speedie’s penalty miss in 85 was in front of shed, but Fash’s winner was right in front of us.

Saw us beat them 3-0 at the Den in the 70s and the 1-1 draw away in the same season. I was only young but was pissed off that Ray Goddard got nobbled and had to go off injured to be replaced by Donaldson in goal.

Missus Christmas do tonight, including partners. Hate these things as I don't know anyone and am usually seated next to some boring bastard.
Tonight was sat next to a newbie, asked the usual, who do you support? Expected Sunderland / Newcastle but no, got a Southern bloke from Isleworth who supported Chelsea.
We got chatting and he said the 1985 games - FA and League cup games were the most he'd seen them ever back off (got run in usual speak)
I went to all 3, home and away and remain in the top few games that I've ever been to.
Amazing memories of bonfires on the terraces, Speedie missing a penalty and pure evil at our place.
Wouldn't wanted to be Chelsea that night
He was still a boring cunt then 😉

The 3-2 at there's is still one of my favourite games and sticks in my memory almost more than any other game. Sansomes penalty save from Speedie with minutes to go

:wahey::wahey:

That was a good cup run. Beat the Nigels and two divison one sides in Leicester and Chelsea.

pure evil at our place.
It weren't too friendly at theirs either. All our lot in thier seats where their firm sat. Afterwards outside was some of the most viscous toe to toe i've seen. Was going off before as well. We all went in my mates dads lorry from his scaffolding firm. They pulled up two or three times along the embankment as we neared Lotts road to weigh in Chelsea bods that we moching about looking for an easy touch.

There was vans stopped in the middle of the road as they emptied out to attack Chelsea. I was 16 and had seen a bit of agg from Wall before but this was something else. I remember seeing one of our black chaps under a bit of pressure when it went off outside so i ran over and clumped one the Chelsea bods with all i had and he never even blinked the cunt :grinning: Gave him a few boots and backed away but weren't having it that he and another Chelsea bod were doing this Wall fella so i picked up a metal bin i spotted on the floor a few yards from me and run back over and landed one of the cunts straight on the suede with it.

Backed up a bit then ran in again- another home strike. Both stretched out on the deck and now get a good hooving from the black fella :cup:

He came up to me outside the crown the following season when we had Leeds. I recognised him and he says jokingly -Oi you still working on the dust you little nutter, thanked me and strolls off. Couple of minutes later he comes over to me and my mates and hands me a pint. I'm still mates with him to this day and have done a few miles together over the years following us and getting up to shenanigans although he don't go as much now.

Last edited:
For anyone old enough, that ‘85 match has to be one of your top ten favourite games of all time
It is and such a shame that there is no footage of it anywhere because thier chairman had banned the cameras from Stamford bridge at the time.

Both were night games, I can’t remember which one but a top wall fella during the game ran across the pitch to the side jumped on top the fence and was punching on with dozens of Chelski trying to get him over the fence, he legged it back to the north stand swerved the filth but as he was climbing back in they grabbed him there then started a tug of war, he managed to get over minus his leather jacket, the filth then tried to come in after him ,which then kicked off, they retreated out after a long battle, but fair play when they knew they wasn’t gonna get him they threw his jacket back , it was a mental 15 minutes , and a crazy night

The fa cup game our finest chased there best firm out of gateway 13 on to the pitch next to us in the north bank, with all the north stand wall chanting war war war,

Both were night games, I can’t remember which one but a top wall fella during the game ran across the pitch to the side jumped on top the fence and was punching on with dozens of Chelski trying to get him over the fence, he legged it back to the north stand swerved the filth but as he was climbing back in they grabbed him there then started a tug of war, he managed to get over minus his leather jacket, the filth then tried to come in after him ,which then kicked off, they retreated out after a long battle, but fair play when they knew they wasn’t gonna get him they threw his jacket back , it was a mental 15 minutes , and a crazy night
The jacket probably didn’t fit them 😉