David Amoo

silverlion

Staff member
One of our young startlets who had his head turned as a youth player and went to Liverpool to make his fortune today signed for Stevenage Town with their obnoxious manager Steve Evans. He made one first team appearance for the Reds in a European game before Liverpool changed managers to Kenny Dalgleish who told him that he wasn’t strong enough to play for the first team. Since then he has played for such illustrious clubs as MK Dons and Port Vale and is now in the twilight of his career at Stevenage. How the mighty have fallen! Zak Lovelace take note.

Who's going to turn down the chance to sign for Liverpool?! That is life changing.
I think those sentiments are exactly the point. An agent would have said exactly the same thing, which is down to a quick buck being made by said players and agents. Had Amoo stayed at the Den, cut his teeth and tried to climb the ladder with championship football, it would have been a far better route than what he chose.

One of our young startlets who had his head turned as a youth player and went to Liverpool to make his fortune today signed for Stevenage Town with their obnoxious manager Steve Evans. He made one first team appearance for the Reds in a European game before Liverpool changed managers to Kenny Dalgleish who told him that he wasn’t strong enough to play for the first team. Since then he has played for such illustrious clubs as MK Dons and Port Vale and is now in the twilight of his career at Stevenage. How the mighty have fallen! Zak Lovelace take note.
All that glitters is not gold.

I think those sentiments are exactly the point. An agent would have said exactly the same thing, which is down to a quick buck being made by said players and agents. Had Amoo stayed at the Den, cut his teeth and tried to climb the ladder with championship football, it would have been a far better route than what he chose.
Our youth system started to deteriorate after that crop of players in the 90's to early 2000's. He left in 2007 and probably made the right call at the time I would have said, as we had veered away from promoting youth around then. We only started to push prospects through when Harris took over.

Beginning to think we are well rid of these players, because if they really believed they had what it took, they would hold off the big move till later when they would really get the big bucks. Delayed gratification.

Reactions: SEL
He isn't the only one either. How many of the youth players who have moved on over the years have made it to the top level. Very recently Eze but we let him go anyway so that doesn't really count

Oh no it wouldn't , ask Kris Twardek or Jamie Philpot how that worked out for them , we ain't renouned for giving the youth a chance anymore , Lovelace only made the team as we had more injuries than the Somme at that time ,
Amoo has had a career out of football , I think Cahill was the last youth player who made it to the top , same as Kilby who went Chelsea ? Or the two that went Man City they now have careers and have already made their dough , Philpot plays for Glebe in the fifth tier of non league , I know which route I'd have taken if offered the choice
Take the rose tinted off