D DAY

On the BBC News mobile site I had to scroll down below a story about inclusivity in a computer game, some singer investing in a carwash and a story about a kids sports day Dad's Race, to the first mention of D-Day.

Mum joined under age at 16. Was allocated to an anti aircraft gun unit in Coventry. Got found out and moved to Eastborne. Her lasting memory was of all the armour in the town and landingcraft off the beach. She worked during the night on radio comms and when she came out in the morning everything was gone. She sat on a bench and cried knowing they were landing.

Mum joined under age at 16. Was allocated to an anti aircraft gun unit in Coventry. Got found out and moved to Eastborne. Her lasting memory was of all the armour in the town and landingcraft off the beach. She worked during the night on radio comms and when she came out in the morning everything was gone. She sat on a bench and cried knowing they were landing.
From what I can remember dad saying, they were on the landing craft for hours and hours because of the weather. Most were puking before the craft left port.

Did any of you see Vicky McClure: My Grandad’s War ITV Monday 19:00 - 20:00?

Excellent and very moving in parts😓

I learnt an awful lot, not least about the size of the landing craft🤷‍♂️

If you didn’t see it, try watching on ITV Hub 👍

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online