D day trip

Been to a few War Cemeteries in Belgium & France. Wasn’t far from Arras last week, just not sure about going to visit. It must be interesting to see the trenches etc but also don’t want to be a voyeur.
Have a good trip, hope most of the money your Mrs spent goes to a good cause and not a travel agent

I’ve done D Day battlefield tours a few times. You won’t be disappointed. If you're only going for the weekend you’ll be restricted to what you can see.
Obviously, take in the landing beaches and the new Normandy Memorial.
Also go to Arromanche to see the New Memorial garden, the Mulberry Harbour, brilliant if the tide is out, also there is a good museum there.

Last edited:
Been to a few War Cemeteries in Belgium & France. Wasn’t far from Arras last week, just not sure about going to visit. It must be interesting to see the trenches etc but also don’t want to be a voyeur.
Have a good trip, hope most of the money your Mrs spent goes to a good cause and not a travel agent
To a travel agent unfortunately and just want to see what they went through and pay my respects we went to see the poppy’s at the Tower of London in 2014 and it was one of the most surreal things I’ve ever seen so not sure how I will feel actually seeing the grave stones

It is very moving mate. I went for 5 days a few years back and echo everything Syrup said. Weirdly even the German cemetery knocked me, so many of them 15 or 16 in unmarked graves. It's not something to enjoy, but definitely well worth visiting and paying your respects. You'll be glad you went.

I must admit I couldn't visit a German cemetery. I m from that generation.that is still holding a grudge against them. Daft? Yes, but that.is how it goes. Some of the cemeteries in the Far East and India are worth visiting as few get visitors and those poor sods were a long.way from home and many had been East of Suez for years. I always used to make.a point of visiting them.
As my dear old dad always said :it's the only time the British soldier got.looked after properly. They are immaculately maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

I must admit I couldn't visit a German cemetery. I m from that generation.that is still holding a grudge against them. Daft? Yes, but that.is how it goes. Some of the cemeteries in the Far East and India are worth visiting as few get visitors and those poor sods were a long.way from home and many had been East of Suez for years. I always used to make.a point of visiting them.
As my dear old dad always said :it's the only time the British soldier got.looked after properly. They are immaculately maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Totally understand that Obes. It was odd to be fair, but it is chilling seeing graves of 15 year olds. I certainly didn't find any if it to be taking sides, as moving and emotional as the whole Normandy trip was, my overriding feelings were of how horrific war is and how brave the soldiers were. There but for the grace of God go I kind of thing

Watched a programme the other night on PBS America about what happened to German civilians in other countries like Poland & Hungary after the war. Well it wasn’t pleasant & when the grown ups were killed by the kangaroo courts the little children had to dig their mums graves and then fend for themselves. They also showed a “short hanging” of a German General. It’s about a three foot drop so you don’t die straight away and one of the executioners shoves his hand in your face while you suffocate. Unbelievably cruel stuff but it’s still going on all around the world as we speak

Watched a programme the other night on PBS America about what happened to German civilians in other countries like Poland & Hungary after the war. Well it wasn’t pleasant & when the grown ups were killed by the kangaroo courts the little children had to dig their mums graves and then fend for themselves. They also showed a “short hanging” of a German General. It’s about a three foot drop so you don’t die straight away and one of the executioners shoves his hand in your face while you suffocate. Unbelievably cruel stuff but it’s still going on all around the world as we speak
Civilisation is only a thin vineer.

The youngest.British soldier was a 17 year old.killrf in North Africa and he's buried in the Commonwealth Cemetery in Tunis. Next to his grave is Field Marshall Claude Auchineleck who lived for years after the war in Tunis.in a small basic flat
A.very decent man who done all the hard work for Montgomery buy was dynamic enough fot Churchill
That was a.nice touch the youngest.most junior buried next to the oldest and most.semior soldier

The CWG is an excellent organisation.

Have visited the beaches and can definitely recommend Pegasus Bridge as well,all very interesting ,I think the American cemetery at Omaha got to me the most ,you enter through the museum which is flanked by a couple of immaculately dressed marines then walk down to the beach ,those poor sods had to climb up a sheer face after getting battered by machine gun on the beach then turn round and look at the headstones all in line no matter which angle you look at them.Father's and sons buried next to each other .

On British beaches Cant remember which. Theres a pillbox on the cliff. On the left looking from the sea over lookimg the whole beach. If i were there with a machine gun i could not see how anyone would get accross alive. Those blokes were so brave

Last edited:
On a similar note, i'm looking to go to Poland soon, would like to visit Auschwitz, has anyone been there?
If you go stay in Krakow- a good city with some great bars and restaurants and some of the best freshly made chocolate ive tasted ,from there they do coach tours of Auschwitz and the other camp nearby Birkenau both very sobering. You also have Oscar Schindlers factory in Krakow