Cup Team v Foxes

silverlion

Staff member
After the monumental win against the Canaries and the last gasp win at Ashton Gate we are on a roll. We are also back to stone cold reality for Saturday’s cup game against the Foxes. So much about this game depends on attitude towards the Cup for us and them. It is a free hit for us. They are a decent side who sit ten points clear at the top of the Championship so are they really bothered about the Cup. The BBC can go on and on about the magic of the Cup but the honest reality is that if you win the FACup you can make £2m. If you get into the Premier League and only last a season then you make £55m. Neither of us are likely to win the FA Cup so this game is really about putting on a decent performance and hoping you do enough to win the game. Team selection will play a major part in informing us who wants it more.
My guess would be that after a really intense four games in ten days then both teams will be looking to give fringe players a game. Hence, i think that Bart will step us and wear the gloves. Maybe we will play a flat back four and Danny might play RB. We don’t have a massive choice for CB’s and there is no word about whether Wes is back to full fitness. If he is then maybe he will start but if not then Leonard, Hutch and Cooper will start. He could rest Murray and start Joe at LB.
There is no Sav in the middle as he is serving the second of his three match ban. Hence Billy is nailed on and I am not sure whether Campbell will get a game stead of Honeyman. Or does Joe get really bold and start Esse? The same could be said for Watmore instead of Flem. Emakhu must be nailed on but does he partner Rab or Tom. It’s a tough call.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Danny Leonard Hutch Cooper Joe
Billy Honeyman
Flem
Emakhu Rab

Subs Shark Wes Murray BNC Esse Longman Campbell Watmore Tom

the honest reality is that if you win the FACup you can make £2m. If you get into the Premier League and only last a season then you make £55m.
I didn't know that; as in the actual figures... I think it's really sad how the FA Cup nowadays is unimportant to clubs. When I was a kid it was the biggest domestic competition going... Arguably the league championship was more important, but winning the FA Cup was more glorious.
But I suppose, and it pains me to say it, that it is understandable that clubs disregard the FA Cup when the financial rewards are so small in comparison to the league.

I suppose it is just another modern facet of football which removes much of the magic of the game. I'm getting old.

Which, I suppose, is better than the alternative.

The only reason to beat Leicester is the hope of getting the vermin in the next round. But they will find a way to cheat us out of that so play the youth team and concentrate on automatic promotion.

Having a cup run can be a double edged sword, though!

Anyone remember the 2012/2013 season?

We had a good season up until we reached the FA Quarter Finals. After we beat Blackburn in the replay, we won 2 league games at the end of March, and in the 3 games in April leading up to the semi final, we drew two games and lost one!

In the 2 home games of that 3 in April, it was evident that our players weren’t putting the shift in as they had done before the QF’s. Players were pulling out of 50/50 tackles, etc. and it was obvious that they had one eye on wanting to be fit to play in the semi’s.

Having lost the semi’s our season went down the pan, and in the 6 remaining games left, we won 1, drew 1 and lost 4 (thankfully we didn’t lose to the Nigels!)

So I agree with Phlion, to concentrate on the league this season by making sure we’ve got Championship status for next season, and then with an improved squad in the summer (transfer money permitting), we can give the 2024/2025 season and the FA Cup a fucking good go!

I don’t know why anyone thinks that we should rest our first team on Saturday. We haven’t got the players in reserve in our squad to do that and the result would be a cricket score for Leicester.

We’re destined for a mid table finish so put out as strong as team as possible, we should want to win every game and get ourselves in the hat for the next round and a crack at one of the big boys. We live for days like that.

I didn't know that; as in the actual figures... I think it's really sad how the FA Cup nowadays is unimportant to clubs. When I was a kid it was the biggest domestic competition going... Arguably the league championship was more important, but winning the FA Cup was more glorious.
But I suppose, and it pains me to say it, that it is understandable that clubs disregard the FA Cup when the financial rewards are so small in comparison to the league.

I suppose it is just another modern facet of football which removes much of the magic of the game. I'm getting old.

Which, I suppose, is better than the alternative.
The FA & premshit have taken the magic out of the cup , the top 6 who in reality will win the cup have all European big money games to play so the FA bend over backwards to accommodate them by scraping replays in the later stages and now suggest doing away with them from the 3rd round so the dreams of the little clubs getting a big pay day away will fast fade away , could not care less about it anymore im afraid to say

Campbell and Longman have both been given the ok from their parent club to play, so does that mean they are both staying wit us ?