Chinwike Okoli

Might be a clickbait site but I don't believe they are all made up stories, wouldn't surprise me that the agents pay for rumours to get started.

Am I right in thinking that we severly cut the academy budget many years ago as it did seem that isn't worth the money when you can't bring through the best talent you might have.

The contractual position of young academy players is weighted against clubs like us. Any compensation we receive for players up to 17, who were on 2 year scholarship contracts is pitiful.

Having said that Okoli is 18. If he is highly thought of, why didn't we convert his scholarship contract into a professional one when he turned 17?

As an aside, could the rule about not offering pro contracts until the lad is 17 be challenged in court? Kids can leave school at 16 in the UK (I think?), why can't they be offered a pro contract at that age?

Another one of our youngsters now on the radar of clubs who will undoubtedly throw money at him to lure him away.
Seems little point in having an academy when they can be influenced so easily.

Pretty sure this is now just an agent pushing kids to make money.

Source is one of those click bait sites.

https://the72.co.uk/262951/millwall-defender-chinwike-okoli-on-radar-of-aston-villa/
FA should step up and put a clause with ALL academies that the club of origin should get 20% of ALL future deals until the end of the players career if they have spent time and money making them the player that they are!