Bobby Charlton R.I.P

Can't remember clearly. Didn't he play for Man.U. down at the Den? When they got relegated one year? Also George Best?
Heard Alex Stepney on the radio today, talking about Sir Bobby, giving him the highest praise. R. I. P.

Wherever you went in the world everyone knew about Bobby Charlton literally a universal legend. Saw him play se veral times
But one goal always comes to mind
. , the one against Mexico in the '66 World.Cup
When he picked up.the ball

Continuing previous post:

Picked up the ba in the Centre Circle and ran at pace towards the Mexican goal and about 20 yards out unleashed a thunderbolt thatnearly burst the net. I swear the Mexican defence had decamped to the terracing behind the goal.

May he Rest in Peace

Great player and great servant to the game.

Couple of stories I remember hearing about Bobby Charlton. He was always considered a 'gentleman' on the pitch but his Man U and England team mate David Sadler said he once refereed a training game and Charlton never stopped moaning about every decision he made.

The other reflects on where football is now. When he signed his first professional contract, his mum said he could probably play for 20 years and, if he saved £1 per week from his wages, he'd probably have enough to buy a small newsagents to give him a wage once he packed it in. Not sure any of his generation earned that much - although he was looked after by United later in life - but I doubt anyone now sees that as their ambition.

To cut a long story short, when he was involved at Wigan he once gave my Dad a lift back to the station after we’d played them.
True Gent
R.I.P.

R.I.P. Bobby. A great player and a humble man. Been mentioned many times in the press/media that the Munich air disaster played on his mind every day and he would often drift away silently after games even great club and country triumphs without celebrating.

Can't remember clearly. Didn't he play for Man.U. down at the Den? When they got relegated one year? Also George Best?
Heard Alex Stepney on the radio today, talking about Sir Bobby, giving him the highest praise. R. I. P.
The short answer is no, he went to Preston after they were relegated

Man Utd lineup:​

Alex StepneyGoalkeeper
Martin BuchanDefender
Alex ForsythDefender
Stewart HoustonDefender
Arnold SidebottomCentral defender
Brian GreenhoffDefender/Midfielder
Gerry DalyMidfielder
Jim McCalliogMidfielder
Sammy McIlroyMidfielder
Willie MorganMidfielder
Lou MacariForward

He managed Preston with Bobby stiles
Must have been player/manager as he played 38 games for them. We didn’t play Preston that season so he didn’t get to play against us. Slightly off the point but we did play Man Utd in the cup in 53 but that was before Bobby’s time. Three of the Man Utd players who played in that cup match were involved in the Munich plane crash. One died, one never played again & I think the other one was a goalkeeper.