Another Just back (Bristol City)

Ilderton Wanderer

An industrious performance which was rewarded with a richly deserved three points. We made a quiet start but kept city at bay without any dramas and it wasn’t long before we started to impose ourselves with Saville and Mitchell in particular getting amongst the thick of things. Mitchell has had a few very good games in a row now but one criticism I’ve had of him is that sometimes away games seem to pass him by.

Not so today, he was everywhere in the midfield, snappy in the tackle and driving forward at every opportunity. His endeavour was matched all the way by Saville who added a calming influence along with his experience. Again it was from set pieces we threatened most, one corner was met at the back post by Cooper who headed it back invitingly across the face of goal but Bradshaw couldn’t apply the finishing touch.

Then shortly before half time came the break through. Mitchell collected the ball in the middle and sent Burey away in space with a good ball. Burey done exceptionally well to beat the first man and took off towards goal only to be brought down on the edge of the area. The resulting free kick was floated into the area and after a couple of attempts Bradshaw, who had a frustrating time up until then, wheeled away in delight. The half time whistle soon followed and we were firmly in the driving seat.

The second half continued in the same vain, we never really looked in trouble and it seemed only a matter of time before we stretched our lead. That was until a wicked cross from the left was deflected into our goal by Hutch, the Bristol fans went mad and it seemed our wait for an away win would continue. But to our credit we carried on in the same way, Vog was getting into the game and Flemming was starting to show his class and it was that man who eventually made the difference.

A free kick into the box and the City keeper made an absolute balls up of the clearance, the ball fell to Flemming who calmly and almost effortlessly stroked the ball into the empty net. Our 1000 plus fans went bananas and it was no less than we deserved, instead of slagging off the players and manager we got behind them and they responded in kind. Another example of actual match going fans being completely at odds at what you read on social media.

We saw the game out comfortably after that and after a break by substitute Shackleton he saw a lung bursting run from Saville and played him in. Saville was unceremoniously brought down and the ref pointed to the spot. Up stepped Afobe to put the icing on the cake but hit a poor penalty, luckily the ref blew up straight after and that was that.

All in all a composed, satisfying and very good performance, no one had a bad game, Long was steady, the defence looked comfortable for the most part, the forwards worked tirelessly especially Vlog but for MoM take your pick from the engine room of either Billy Mitchell or Saville they were both simply superb, nothing more can be said.

Onwards and upwards!! Harris out!!!

An industrious performance which was rewarded with a richly deserved three points. We made a quiet start but kept city at bay without any dramas and it wasn’t long before we started to impose ourselves with Saville and Mitchell in particular getting amongst the thick of things. Mitchell has had a few very good games in a row now but one criticism I’ve had of him is that sometimes away games seem to pass him by.

Not so today, he was everywhere in the midfield, snappy in the tackle and driving forward at every opportunity. His endeavour was matched all the way by Saville who added a calming influence along with his experience. Again it was from set pieces we threatened most, one corner was met at the back post by Cooper who headed it back invitingly across the face of goal but Bradshaw couldn’t apply the finishing touch.

Then shortly before half time came the break through. Mitchell collected the ball in the middle and sent Burey away in space with a good ball. Burey done exceptionally well to beat the first man and took off towards goal only to be brought down on the edge of the area. The resulting free kick was floated into the area and after a couple of attempts Bradshaw, who had a frustrating time up until then, wheeled away in delight. The half time whistle soon followed and we were firmly in the driving seat.

The second half continued in the same vain, we never really looked in trouble and it seemed only a matter of time before we stretched our lead. That was until a wicked cross from the left was deflected into our goal by Hutch, the Bristol fans went mad and it seemed our wait for an away win would continue. But to our credit we carried on in the same way, Vog was getting into the game and Flemming was starting to show his class and it was that man who eventually made the difference.

A free kick into the box and the City keeper made an absolute balls up of the clearance, the ball fell to Flemming who calmly and almost effortlessly stroked the ball into the empty net. Our 1000 plus fans went bananas and it was no less than we deserved, instead of slagging off the players and manager we got behind them and they responded in kind. Another example of actual match going fans being completely at odds at what you read on social media.

We saw the game out comfortably after that and after a break by substitute Shackleton he saw a lung bursting run from Saville and played him in. Saville was unceremoniously brought down and the ref pointed to the spot. Up stepped Afobe to put the icing on the cake but hit a poor penalty, luckily the ref blew up straight after and that was that.

All in all a composed, satisfying and very good performance, no one had a bad game, Long was steady, the defence looked comfortable for the most part, the forwards worked tirelessly especially Vlog but for MoM take your pick from the engine room of either Billy Mitchell or Saville they were both simply superb, nothing more can be said.

Onwards and upwards!! Harris out!!!
Got to agree ,the whole team put a performance in today and apart from their No 11 were not really in the game ,cannot remember long having to make a meaningful save and thank God that the penalty did not really matter ,Afobi just not good enough , got a bit lively after the game outside and I hope all the lions made it home safe

thought vlog was brilliant today - composed, using his brain, trying to create all the time. he was a thorn in their side. burey also on the other flank was causing them problems, at one point skinnign about four of them in a row before being bought down (looked like the last man to me). still have my doubts about bradshaw but you can't ask much more than scoring.

Whilst I’m no great fan of Rowett, you have to credit the job he’s done and even more so the willingness to change formation. I hope he doesn’t quickly revert back to a 5 at the back when we inevitably have a dip.

Are the ones that trott out the line ‘who would replace him’ - we have it with every manager, the same people that wanted to fold the club if Jed left?

Think I'd give MOM to Sav especially for that lung-bursting run that resulted in the pen. Fantastic. Thought it was Cooper's best game. Everyone put in a shift.

What a difference a fortnight makes. The game against Blackburn was awful but this was a different level. Think it was Philion who asked whether it was the formation or individual mistakes holding us back. Looks like players happier in this formation and results don't lie. Spoke to a mate afterwards who is a city fan and he said they couldn't break us down.

Slightly worried that Murray looks like he pulled a groin as they say. Hopefully not serious.

Bouncing down the away end. Onwards and upwards!

Think I'd give MOM to Sav especially for that lung-bursting run that resulted in the pen. Fantastic. Thought it was Cooper's best game. Everyone put in a shift.

What a difference a fortnight makes. The game against Blackburn was awful but this was a different level. Think it was Philion who asked whether it was the formation or individual mistakes holding us back. Looks like players happier in this formation and results don't lie. Spoke to a mate afterwards who is a city fan and he said they couldn't break us down.

Slightly worried that Murray looks like he pulled a groin as they say. Hopefully not serious.

Bouncing down the away end. Onwards and upwards!
Hate for Murray mint to be injured but what a nice feeling to have Style's as a replacement? Come on you Lions..... As much as Rowett has been frustrating, remember he signed Flemming!!!

Whilst I’m no great fan of Rowett, you have to credit the job he’s done and even more so the willingness to change formation. I hope he doesn’t quickly revert back to a 5 at the back when we inevitably have a dip.

Are the ones that trott out the line ‘who would replace him’ - we have it with every manager, the same people that wanted to fold the club if Jed left?
Wouldn’t say he was willing to change formation out of choice, rather he was put under pressure by the supporters (and maybe some/all of the players?), but fair do’s, he did change it, it’s working and if the players can put in future performances like the one they did yesterday, I don’t think we have much to fear in this division!

As always, consistency is key, and there’s no better way to show that, than by giving another great performance on Wednesday, and getting another 3 points on the board, against Watford at the Den!

COYL!