Alfie Gilchrist

Any relation to Johnny Gilchrist one the bedt full backs we ever had. Should have been capped for Scotland, but, he did get capped by the Army when he was diing his National Service. That is quite an accomplishment when you consider the number of Squaddies also doing their National service who were professional footballers.

Any relation to Johnny Gilchrist one the bedt full backs we ever had. Should have been capped for Scotland, but, he did get capped by the Army when he was diing his National Service. That is quite an accomplishment when you consider the number of Squaddies also doing their National service who were professional footballers.
Reliable player

I too was at the Lane and I was sure it was Gilchrist who played the killer pass. Got in big trouble the following day as I was supposed to be playing trumpet in the orchestra for prize giving that night. Told a fib and got away with it but it has been on my conscience ever since!

That's what I remember Gerry. But could be wrong.
Below is what happened from the man himself who had the decency to reply to my question

« Shame you didn’t get in that night as it was another dour battle with lots excitement. Anyway,to answer your question about who was the culprit who helped Spurs score the only goal of the game.

I have to hold my hand up and take the blame,I’ve admitted it several times online rather than hide from it. It had been a fairly evenly match, as it was in the first game at The Old Den. However when I was in possession around the centre circle I got a call from what I thought was one of my team mates,and without looking I played the ball towards the call. Unfortunately it was Jimmy Greaves that called and he scampered off with the ball got in his shot which hit the bar but then Alan Gilzean was on hand to head in the rebound.

There’s not a lot more I can say other than apologise again to the many Millwall fans I let down on that evening. The incident crops up from time to time and I’ve always been honest and accepted the blame for our loss on that evening. Having said that,they were two very good games and apart from the result our team gave two magnificent displays enjoyed by our fans. I’m sure that helps to answer your question, you too have a happy and healthy New Year, Tom. »

Below is what happened from the man himself who had the decency to reply to my question

« Shame you didn’t get in that night as it was another dour battle with lots excitement. Anyway,to answer your question about who was the culprit who helped Spurs score the only goal of the game.

I have to hold my hand up and take the blame,I’ve admitted it several times online rather than hide from it. It had been a fairly evenly match, as it was in the first game at The Old Den. However when I was in possession around the centre circle I got a call from what I thought was one of my team mates,and without looking I played the ball towards the call. Unfortunately it was Jimmy Greaves that called and he scampered off with the ball got in his shot which hit the bar but then Alan Gilzean was on hand to head in the rebound.

There’s not a lot more I can say other than apologise again to the many Millwall fans I let down on that evening. The incident crops up from time to time and I’ve always been honest and accepted the blame for our loss on that evening. Having said that,they were two very good games and apart from the result our team gave two magnificent displays enjoyed by our fans. I’m sure that helps to answer your question, you too have a happy and healthy New Year, Tom. »

Aah, what a lovely reply.
:thumbup:

On another note, it's nice to see an exchange of emails between Tom & Gerry.
:grinning:

What a lovely reply!

Great reply. Nothing like humility. Rarely seen online

Class. Top man

Possible, after all Gilchrist is not a co
Sly from greieves! Wonder if that happens a lot. First time I’ve heard of it.
Can’t remember the exact circumstances but, I think Muscat used the same tactic (or was it a fake whistle 😗?) when he played for us 🤔