A Millwall History Question...

Millwalljohn

In seasons past, near the end of the season where teams are relegated before the final whistle of the final game on the fixture list...

What teams (if any) have Millwall 'Officially' relegated and in what season?

Good question John but it would be easier to remember the teams that relegated us!
(Ipswich for one in that 0-0 draw)

I’ve had a cursory look and I can’t find one (well not in the football league anyway)
We had a chance to relegate Man Utd in 1934 as we only needed a draw at home to send them down but they beat us 2-0, we got relegated instead and the rest, as they say, is history!

Last edited:
I think we relegated the old style Wimbledon in April 1980
Good guess but wrong I’m afraid.
After we drew with Wimbledon on 22/04/1980 Wimbledon we’re on 31 points with two games left to play, Hull who avoided relegation were on 34 points with three games left to play. So it was still perfectly feasible for Wimbledon to stay up.

After our draw with them,
Wimbledon could still have caught:
Mansfield 35
Blackpool 34
Hull 34
Bury 32
One of the teams they couldn’t catch was Southend who were on 38 points but still got relegated (Blackpool & Hull stayed up)

Yes we have sent a team down. One immediately springs to mind for me.

Season 1946-47 we sent down Swansea Town.

We travelled to The Vetch on May 26th with Swansea playing their last game of their 2nd Division season. They were equal on points with Sheffield Wednesday with inferior goal average, so in second to last position.

We cruised to a 3-0 victory while Wednesday defeated Manchester City 1-0 at Hillsborough.

So, yes we have sent a team down. I get a nagging feeling we did it to someone else, but can't think who at the moment.

Last edited:
I cant think of any teams we relegated although, I do remember how we somehow managed to relegate ourselves on the last day, in true 'Wall style:

:grinning:

Wall.JPG

Yes we have sent a team down. One immediately springs to mind for me.

Season 1946-47 we sent down Swansea Town.

We travelled to The Vetch on May 26th with Swansea playing their last game of their 2nd Division season. They were equal on points with Sheffield Wednesday with inferior goal average, so in second to last position.

We cruised to a 3-0 history while Wednesday defeated Manchester City 1-0 at Hillsborough.

So, yes we have sent a team down. I get a nagging feeling we did it to someone else, but can't think who at the moment.
That’s a great spot Whisky.
If Swansea had beaten us that day they would have been equal on points with Wednesday who still had a game to play.
If Wednesday had lost that game 10-0 then Swansea would have stayed up on goal average (as it was they lost 4-2 or something like that)

That’s a great spot Whisky.
If Swansea had beaten us that day they would have been equal on points with Wednesday who still had a game to play.
If Wednesday had lost that game 10-0 then Swansea would have stayed up on goal average (as it was they lost 4-2 or something like that)
That's the only one that I could answer without thinking.

Still can't think of the second one. Not sure if I'm confusing it with a very near miss, the 33/34 season apart

In 1971/72 our penultimate match was victory over Charlton. However, Charlton weren't officially relegated until their next match and final game of the season when they crashed 5-0 at Blackpool. But we certainly contributed handsomely towards their demise, a slight consolation on missing out on promotion that year.

Last edited:
Remember and went to the game as did a few Millwall at QPR only drawing with Barnsley 1964, which relegated us. But this relegation kick started us.

Steve Coppell got sacked after we beat Bristol City 3-0.
Didn’t he also quit the nigels after we beat them 6-0 in a friendly ?

What about Notts County in 1995? might be wrong but for some reason I have a vague memory of us relegating them. Iooking on the history site I see we played them in April, 0-0 draw at the den. they ended up finishing bottom.
Magnificent cali....!!!

Yes, we sent Notts County down that night.

They got a draw against us but needed a win to take their potential points, with four still to play, to 50. Fifth from bottom Sunderland (who didn't play that night) were already on 49, so the drawn game meant the best County could do was 48 points. They were officially relegated that night.

Strangely, the three clubs between Nots County and Sunderland (Burnley, Swindon and Bristol City) were all on 44 points with 11 wins and 11 draws...

Magnificent cali....!!!

Yes, we sent Notts County down that night.

They got a draw against us but needed a win to take their potential points, with four still to play, to 50. Fifth from bottom Sunderland (who didn't play that night) were already on 49, so the drawn game meant the best County could do was 48 points. They were officially relegated that night.

Strangely, the three clubs between Nots County and Sunderland (Burnley, Swindon and Bristol City) were all on 44 points with 11 wins and 11 draws...
There you go. Good to see my memory isn’t completely knackered!

Steve Coppell got sacked after we beat Bristol City 3-0.
Didn’t he also quit the nigels after we beat them 6-0 in a friendly ?
He resigned out of the blue: the Millwall game was his first in charge was the first game of the season. He wasn't sacked.

Also, he resigned the day after his next game, a 3-2 League Cup defeat at Southend.

So, sadly, we can't add his scalp to the list. Close, though!