2 in 9

Teams have sussed we're no good with the ball, if you sit off and keep things tight teams know we dont have the cutting edge to break them down and get a goal.

Might watch the QPR v Norwich game tonight - see what we’re up against on Sunday!

Gary Rowett, if you’re reading this, might be an idea for you to tune in as well!

Peckham, this stuff about the players not being comfortable with or happy with the formation or game plan, does this come from a reliable source from someone inside the club, telling that person on HOF, or is it just an unfounded rumour?
A reliable source. Hof doesn't often get it wrong.

If it’s true, I wonder how many of the players feel this way, and exactly who they are? Has one or more of them confronted Rowett to his face about the fact that his formation or game plan isn’t working, or are some muttering quietly about it, but don’t say anything for fear of losing their place in the team?
Have no idea other than what i said here that they're unhappy with the tactics.

Some of it is down to the players as well, though! You would have thought, after the Reading Cup game, collective professional pride would have kicked in, and senior players, the likes of Hutch and Cooper, would have got the team together on the following days training session and said something like, “Right! Last night‘s performance was shit and totally unacceptable, and the supporters didn’t deserve to see that! We need to make amends this Saturday and give them something positive to shout about!” Obviously that little pep talk didn’t happen, or if it did, the conversation went through many ears and straight out the other side!
Agreed

Agreed. What I don’t understand is, if you find the right playing formula (as we did away to Boro), how hard is it to start the next game against City playing the same way? Start on the front foot, pass the ball about, press the opposition and let them worry about you - not the other way around!
Away and home opposition set up differently?

I think the occasion last Saturday got to the players!
Hopefully. If so Saturdays showing will be a one off and the world is a nice place again.

Danny is never a wing back! Not in a million years! He’s fantastic defending, and going forward he’s fine, but his crossing can be awful at times! Bryan is a lot better, and can ping a decent cross in, but really, if we were playing 4-4-2, we’d have proper wingers doing that job so much better, and we need wingers who can skin defenders and get to the by line and whip decent crosses into the box! Other teams have players who can do this, so why can’t we?
Agree.

And it’s strange, because many games last season we played so much better in the 2nd half, and supporters were thinking, “Well, Rowett’s put a rocket up their arses during the HT team talk! Whatever he said to them, it’s working!”
Or perhaps it's just that he likes to keep things tight for 45 minutes and then try and nick a win.

I think there will only be a Rowett bashing if he can’t motivate the team again, and the tactics and formation he uses brings about another poor performance
Mate, he's been criticised when we've won games. It won't stop until he's gone. Then it'll be all rosey for a while then however it is in the firing line will be taken apart and put back together again. It seems to be what fans do now. They have an idea how we should be playing and where in the league we should be and if we're not the knives are out.

Our club and support base now isn't what we grew up with. You only have to read posts and match threads to see that. I honestly don't know why some people bother. The negativity and gloom is off the scale. This is a manager and team that were in the mix for a play off spot with one game to go. One bad result in the league and there's a meltdown. Our fans on Saturday didn't get behind the team, quite the opposite where i was sitting. I know it's not easy to watch but verbally abusing the team and manager will only serve to benefit the oppo.

Have thought for a while that our away form is better than home cause the players aren't under as much pressure from jeering motormouths who think it's a good idea to boo and slag off the players for the slightest mistake or when the players aren't doing what said motormouth thinks they should be.

Best fans in the league my arsehole. Pure myth.

Might watch the QPR v Norwich game tonight - see what we’re up against on Sunday!

Gary Rowett, if you’re reading this, might be an idea for you to tune in as well!
You're assuming they don't watch our next oppo. Considering it's a cup game he may not see half the team we'll be up against on Sunday. SO he won't be seeing what we're up against in a game that Norwich will probably have zero interest in.

You should have have half an idea what we're up against. A team we just can't beat at there place but i doubt that'll be taken into consideration once the sheepskin mob get stuck in once the first thing they wanted done isn't. They are as boring and predictable as Saturdays team was.

I thought Casper was our best player against Bristol City,atleast he past the ball forward which is all we want
He looks a real player. Would like to see him partnered with Savage. He can sit in front of the back four now he hasn't the legs for box to box and let Casper bomb on. Also think Saville has a huge and positive impact as a leader, something we looked devoid of on Saturday. There was no evidence that someone would get hold of the game and drive us on. We need that wise old head to lead from the front whilst keeping a cool head. Might be a bit biased cause i think he's a great player and has adapted well to his anchor role.

A reliable source. Hof doesn't often get it wrong.
That’s not good then!
Away and home opposition set up differently?
But that’s more about formation than tactics, surely? You can change formation but still expect your midfielders to be passing the ball forward, with one-two’s and driving it up to the forwards! No?
Or perhaps it's just that he likes to keep things tight for 45 minutes and then try and nick a win.
I don’t know why, because in that 1st half against Boro, had our players taken their chances, we could have been 3 or 4 nil up by half time!
Mate, he's been criticised when we've won games. It won't stop until he's gone. Then it'll be all rosey for a while then however it is in the firing line will be taken apart and put back together again. It seems to be what fans do now. They have an idea how we should be playing and where in the league we should be and if we're not the knives are out.
But supporters of all clubs cunt off the manager when he’s doing something wrong! I mean, we’re not as bad as the spotters! They were decrying that they had lost to lowly (in their eyes), Bristol Rovers last night, as if they had a God given right to just turn up at the Valium and claim 3 points because they are the mighty and glorious Charlton Athletic!

At least our support (certainly on here) never count our chickens, because we know from past experience how teams come back to bite us on the arse! Yes, we might have said last season that we should be beating the likes of Wigan, Blackpool and Huddersfield, but only because they were consistently down the bottom of the league for most of the season, and we were more in and around the play offs! In fact, I think a lot of us on here (myself included) thought we’d lose to Blackpool, and were gobsmacked when we won, so I‘ve never seen us as entitled supporters, expecting the club to do this, or that! Far from it!
Our club and support base now isn't what we grew up with. You only have to read posts and match threads to see that. I honestly don't know why some people bother. The negativity and gloom is off the scale. This is a manager and team that were in the mix for a play off spot with one game to go. One bad result in the league and there's a meltdown.
JB took us over back in 2007, and since then we’ve had decent giant killing Cup runs, trips to and promotion in league 1 Wembley play off finals, a seventh consecutive season in the Championship, money to spend on new players, breaking the £1M transfer fee several times and we almost cementing a play off position last season which might have seen us promoted! Pretty good times in the last 15 years! Unfortunately, with all of that success comes more and more expectation as supporters want us to kick on again!

This season we have bought better permanent players than most of the loan deals we had last season, so of course expectations will be higher after last season’s near miss, so for some, a play off spot this season is the absolute minimum the club should be striving for! You, I and those of a similar age to us remember how dire it was back in the 70’s, with dwindling gates and hardly a pot to piss in, stuck in the lower divisions with a number of Chairmen who couldn’t or wouldn’t invest in the team! As supporters we soldiered on during those days, but many of us clung to the hope that we might one day return to the top tier, but we never had the backing until JB took over!

Maybe our fortunes changed because we had an American as our chairman: someone who embodied everything we always thought successful American businessmen had - that drive for success, a never say die attitude, and I think over the years, a lot of that philosophy has rubbed off onto a lot of our supporters! Is that necessarily a bad thing?
Our fans on Saturday didn't get behind the team, quite the opposite where i was sitting. I know it's not easy to watch but verbally abusing the team and manager will only serve to benefit the oppo.
I thought we gave it loud and proud at certain times, trying to rally the troops as it were, but it isn’t always easy to keep the noise levels high when you don’t see much excitement going on, on the pitch!

Cunting the players and manager off doesn’t help anybody, and it couldn’t have been nice for James Berylson and his family to hear all that, but we come back to the point of supporters and their frustration in that they know we now have the players to push on this season, but seeing performances like the one against City just drains any optimism away very quickly, and has them thinking WTF?
Have thought for a while that our away form is better than home cause the players aren't under as much pressure from jeering motormouths who think it's a good idea to boo and slag off the players for the slightest mistake or when the players aren't doing what said motormouth thinks they should be.

Best fans in the league my arsehole. Pure myth.
Too true!

You're assuming they don't watch our next oppo. Considering it's a cup game he may not see half the team we'll be up against on Sunday. SO he won't be seeing what we're up against in a game that Norwich will probably have zero interest in.

You should have have half an idea what we're up against. A team we just can't beat at there place but i doubt that'll be taken into consideration once the sheepskin mob get stuck in once the first thing they wanted done isn't. They are as boring and predictable as Saturdays team was.
I was joking about Rowett watching tonight to get some pointers! :grinning:

We always seem to up our game against the so called bigger sides (like Boro), and if we can beat them for the first time in 9 years, maybe we can break the curse of Carrow Road?

Personally I’d be happy with a well deserved point!

I was joking about Rowett watching tonight to get some pointers! :grinning:
Well use a bloody smiley then if it ain't funny :grinning:

We always seem to up our game against the so called bigger sides (like Boro),

Bur rarley against Norwich who we have an atrocious record against. More so at theirs.
Personally I’d be happy with a well deserved point!

Some teams just have the hex over you- like us with the spotters. Anything other than defeat is welcome,

Ipswich fans will probably be more this disappointed than us if we don't beat them :grinning:

I know we have progressed as a club on paper and on the pitch, but we are going through a very difficult period of finding form and getting results. They are few and far between. The approach is awful and the tactics aren’t working. Change it Rowett or be changed. We can’t put up with performances like Saturdays week in week out. It’ll get very ugly very quickly.

The next home game or two is what will determine Rowetts future. He's earnt the right to be trusted with the team. He does need to play our biggest threats and to the strengths of those players. That team must be set up and drilled to win the game. Rowettt needs to look at the sign that's hanging in the tunnel as they come out - WE FEAR NO FOE-

That team if set up properly will score a lot of goals and from 4/5 players. He'll know the players aren't happy and perhaps lack confidence in him. If he does nothing to change that he'll deserve to go. He's adapted before and got us being very competetive and hard to beat. If he can't, again he'll have to go.

A viscous and angry Den that's baying for blood is a wonderful place. But i'm not on the end of it :) It's viscous, relentless and it' must be fucking horrendous for the recipient. I remember being down by the dugout when Holloway was getting it.

I stromed down from block two when he hid in the dugout against Norwich. There was a number of bods that was looking to get at him/ clump him. Stupid i know but i'd had enough and felt he was personally taking the piss out of me, our supporters, chairman, our club.Holloway look terrified and like death warmed up as the abuse and bile aimed at him

I was stewing for weeks as he continued to front it but hide in the dugout and offer nothing. Then the mist come when he hid in his dugout after we'd conceded another to Norwich,.Silent and no stomach for the fight. Few of us ending up getting dragged back off the top of the dugout a few times. I had completely lost the plot.

Stupid i know but i'd had enough and felt he was personally taking the piss out of me, our supporters, chairman, our club. I felt he was a fraud from the off. He was a fake and a snake oil salesman that thought a bunch like was going to put up with his slow. painful and gutless surrender,.

I was stewing for weeks as he continued to front it but hide in the dugout and offer nothing. Then the mist come when he hid in his dugout after we'd conceded another to Norwich,.Silent and no stomach for the fight. There was a number of bods that was looking to get at him/ clump him. No manager survives when the whole Den is baying for blood.

Members online