Once upon a time at Millwall

“All the half times”
After the game, from the newspaper sellers outside the ground. Ludicrous now because everyone has already got the results on their phones
Even more ludicrous was the bloke who would put up the numbers to show the half time scores under the corresponding letter on the board pitchside.
By the time he got to Z they were all out of date.

My old man was best mates with Stan Anslow....true story!
I used to be trained by Stan after he retired and played for his team which he coached. My Mum & Dad went to see him at Newcastle in the FA Cup victory over Newcastle United in 1957. He scored twice, after being converted from left full-back. Ex-docker with thighs as big as tree trunks - literally! Didn’t take any prisoners on the pitch. 😉

I used to be trained by Stan after he retired and played for his team which he coached. My Mum & Dad went to see him at Newcastle in the FA Cup victory over Newcastle United in 1957. He scored twice, after being converted from left full-back. Ex-docker with thighs as big as tree trunks - literally! Didn’t take any prisoners on the pitch. 😉
When I first saw Stan play was in the 1957/58 season. It might be because I was a young kid and easily impressed but you are right…he had the biggest thighs that I ever saw on anybody, they were fucking huge!!