The championship chit chat thread

Leeds owner didn't turn up today and the buyout by the Americans seems to be agreed only if the club stayed up.

Leicester also seem to be in a mess -
Leicester's wage bill stands at £180m - the highest outside the top six - with Maddison, Jamie Vardy and Ricardo Pereira among a number of players to earn in excess of £100,000 a week.

The club showed income of £214m in their accounts up to May 2022, but this will reduce to about £70m in the Championship.

The main issue they face is a loan agreed with Australian bank Macquarie for advanced payments on player amortisation and broadcasting revenue.

That is set against TV money so it is quite feasible the club will not see any of the 'parachute payments' as they will be allocated towards paying the quarterly interest on the loan, which stood at £19m last year.

Leicester's total borrowings stand at £344m, but much of that is related to the owners, who wrote off £194m earlier this season.

Might not be straight forward for either club to put a squad together to get them in the top 2 spots.

Leeds owner didn't turn up today and the buyout by the Americans seems to be agreed only if the club stayed up.

Leicester also seem to be in a mess -
Leicester's wage bill stands at £180m - the highest outside the top six - with Maddison, Jamie Vardy and Ricardo Pereira among a number of players to earn in excess of £100,000 a week.

The club showed income of £214m in their accounts up to May 2022, but this will reduce to about £70m in the Championship.

The main issue they face is a loan agreed with Australian bank Macquarie for advanced payments on player amortisation and broadcasting revenue.

That is set against TV money so it is quite feasible the club will not see any of the 'parachute payments' as they will be allocated towards paying the quarterly interest on the loan, which stood at £19m last year.

Leicester's total borrowings stand at £344m, but much of that is related to the owners, who wrote off £194m earlier this season.

Might not be straight forward for either club to put a squad together to get them in the top 2 spots.
And some people think a stint in the premier sets you up for life. I've yet to see it. Perhaps Brighton and Brentford will buck the trend as they're both run exceptionally well by very clever owners who are also fans. It seems whatever money the club earns goes back out on wages and overheads.

Palace had to borrow from the following seasons sky payments to pay the wage bill a season or so back. Benteke was on £90k a week, Zaha was on £120k and journeymen players like James Mcarthur was nicking £60k a week.

It's all well and good having contract clauses that kick in if relegated but that just makes it harder to sign anything decent cause they sign elsewhere and still get that money if relegated.

I doubt Leicester or Southampton planned for relegation so will have players on huge contracts that'll have to be honoured whilst in the championship. It's crazy and not a level playing field for clubs like us. I'd be in favour of salary caps to be brought in.

Last edited:
The Championship will be as competitive as ever next season, but I'm not sure that the clubs coming down will have the run of the league. Leicester will lose a lot of players and face a huge financial black hole, same for Southampton. Leeds are in a mess and a half.

There are a lot of clubs on shaky ground financially. West Brom and Norwich to name two.

We are stable and are incredibly well-run in comparison to many, if not all the clubs in this division.

The new TV deal that starts in the 24/25 season contains some good news for us fans, there is a longer period of notice given to us when games are chosen for tv.
All matches selected for live broadcast up to the third round of the FA Cup will be confirmed before the start of the season.

The Championship will be as competitive as ever next season, but I'm not sure that the clubs coming down will have the run of the league. Leicester will lose a lot of players and face a huge financial black hole, same for Southampton. Leeds are in a mess and a half.

There are a lot of clubs on shaky ground financially. West Brom and Norwich to name two.

We are stable and are incredibly well-run in comparison to many, if not all the clubs in this division.
Once again, as said on these forums many times, thank you JB.

The new TV deal that starts in the 24/25 season contains some good news for us fans, there is a longer period of notice given to us when games are chosen for tv.
All matches selected for live broadcast up to the third round of the FA Cup will be confirmed before the start of the season.
So they will announce 6 months worth of games basically when fixture list comes out?

So they will announce 6 months worth of games basically when fixture list comes out?
It will make a nice change to be able to book whatever you need to in advance, although I don't know what their punishment would be if they do change the dates close to the match like they did for the Blackpool game.

Warnock knew the division, Harris knew the division and so did big nose. I think their problems run deeper than just managers.
Warnock got them promoted and Harris had them top 10, I know money has run out which is why I thought they would go for a safe choice, they can't be thinking of promotion this season.

Warnock got them promoted and Harris had them top 10, I know money has run out which is why I thought they would go for a safe choice, they can't be thinking of promotion this season.

Yes, of course, but who is a safe choice these days?... Warnock eventually started to struggle in the Championship, which led to Harris named as manager. Harris started to struggle in the Championship and ended up hovering over the trap door, which led to Big Nose taking over and struggling in the Championship and facing relegation.

All three went South in the end. Like I said earlier, there is probably more going on back stage, with no, or very little money available (as you mentioned).

Yes, of course, but who is a safe choice these days?... Warnock eventually started to struggle in the Championship, which led to Harris named as manager. Harris started to struggle in the Championship and ended up hovering over the trap door, which led to Big Nose taking over and struggling in the Championship and facing relegation.

All three went South in the end. Like I said earlier, there is probably more going on back stage, with no, or very little money available (as you mentioned).
They nosedived when the player they signed died and they still had to pay for him

Always P. I'll give you a ring over the next few days.
Ring, as in phone call. Nothing sphincter related. I know some of the members here are bloody perverts, and will get the wrong idea.😁
No use backtracking now the secrets out, just count yourselves lucky I'm not a member of hof.