Our Best XI and bench as it stands

robbo555

As it stands right now, what would be your starting XI for the first game if everyone is fit?

Bart
Cresswell Hutch Murray
Danny Mitch Saville Malone
Honeyman Flemming
Afobe

Subs
Long Cooper Leonard Evans Bradshaw Bennett Burey

Last edited:
As it stands right now, what would be your starting XI for the first game if everyone is fit?

Bart
Cresswell Hutch Murray
Danny Mitch Shackleton Malone
Honeyman Flemming
Afobe

Subs
Long Cooper Leonard Saville Bradshaw Bennett Burey
I'd have Bradshaw instead of Afobe but I think that you have our starting line-up.

Bart
Cresswell Hutch Murray
Danny Mitch Shackleton Malone
Honeyman Flemming
Afobe

Subs
Long Cooper Leonard Saville Bradshaw Bennett Burey
Don't see Mitchell ahead of Saville or Leonard and Cooper out is not the best. If Matt Smith and the Everton fellow comes in--there would be more changes--The options going to be difficult for GR--but I don't think one will see this suggested line up.

Would definitely play two up front, at home anyway, Bradshaw and Afobe link up well together, can be too easy to defend against when playing the lone striker.
Yes, agreed.

GR might play Billy as a defensive midfielder (he likes one of those), with Honeyman and Saville bombing on! Flemming in his preferred position as a No. 10, with Afobe and Bradders up front.

If Shackleford does sign, perhaps replace Saville and have him on the bench, so the line up could be:

Bart
Danny Hutch Cresswell Murray
Mitchell
Honeyman Shackleton
Flemming
Afobe Bradshaw

Either scenario could work, and the subs on both benches would be:

Long, Cooper, Leonard, Saville or Shackleton, Malone, Bennett, Burey

Don't see Mitchell ahead of Saville or Leonard and Cooper out is not the best. If Matt Smith and the Everton fellow comes in--there would be more changes--The options going to be difficult for GR--but I don't think one will see this suggested line up.

Just my personal choice, it's not what I think he will pick.

Last edited:
I think Cooper will start ahead of Hutchinson if Cresswell gets an automatic place. I think Cooper loses a bit of confidence when not Paired with Hutchinson, they were a very good pairing not that long ago. Tough choices for Rowett and i think it may come down to which two centre halves are most confident and capable with the ball at their feet. Cresswell is certainly ahead of both of them on technical ability.

Last edited:
It was just a couple of weeks ago we did not have enough players

looking at the posts above GR has multiple formations and personnel to choose from

if we do get Simms which I am hoping we do and another left back it will be tough to pick the top 11

Saville got better and better last season if he gets to the level before he moved Middlesbrough we have the makings of a great midfield

i am struggling to see GR playing a 5-2-3 formation like last season with the players he had bought in

really need to sort Millwall TV out and see if I can get time to watch the Palace match tomorrow

I can't remember a season like this for a long time. We're having trouble picking a first 11 not because we're trying to scrape together a semi decent line up but because we've got so many options. I can't wait for the start of the season.

One thing I am sure of though is that Billy Mitchell should be one of the first names on the team sheet for every match. He mightn't always be the most spectacular of players but he gets through alot of work. He's a bit like the oil in the machine. You might not notice it when the engine's running but try operating an engine without oil. And Billy will improve this year.

Bart
Hutch Cooper Cresswell
Danny Honeyman Shackleton Wallace
Bradshaw Afobe Fleming

Malone, Saville, Leonard, Bennett, Mitchell are all worthy starters - that’s how good we now look.
Again, this could be one of the best Millwall sides you will ever see.

Swap Billy Mitchell for Bradshaw and put Honeyman in the front three and this is a better XI than mine. Kudos to @champs08

I can't remember a season like this for a long time. We're having trouble picking a first 11 not because we're trying to scrape together a semi decent line up but because we've got so many options. I can't wait for the start of the season.

One thing I am sure of though is that Billy Mitchell should be one of the first names on the team sheet for every match. He mightn't always be the most spectacular of players but he gets through alot of work. He's a bit like the oil in the machine. You might not notice it when the engine's running but try operating an engine without oil. And Billy will improve this year.
Totally agree with that. I note Malone is still included by many, probably due to the fact we have limited left footers, but for my money shouldn't be in the starting 11..

Saville shouldn't even be in the squad,he's totally useless! Hopefully these quality new signings will see an improvement in that centre mid and I'd like to see more of Leonard this year but not as right back,he was mustard before getting injured playing in midfield and is one of the only players in are squad with a decent shot on him from outside the box.