Team v Trainspotters

silverlion

Staff member
I thought I might get the ball rolling on who our best starting eleven might be tomorrow night. We really only have tomorrows game and Saturday against Fortuna Sittard before we start the regular season up at the Riverside. The time for experimenting is almost over except he does have to give Casper and Wes a few minutes to make sure he has not signed two duffers and to give us all a chance to see what we have bought. I was at the Gillingham game so I saw all the regulars plus Rab and Bryan and can make a guess at who might start at the Den.
Despite the talk of getting Travers on loan from Bournemouth there has been no news on that front. Hence we are left with Long and Bart and I think that GR will give Long the nod. Right back now has some competition from Wes but I think the Danny will get the nod. The big question is whether GR will go with two or three CB’s and I think he will go with three and they will be Hutch Cooper and Murray with. Ryan the obvious choice at LWB.

Midfield has a new face in Casper but I think the GR will go with the tried and tested duo of Billy and Sav with changes in the second half. Flem should start as a ten with Bradshaw and Rab up front.

My thoughts are,

Long
Danny Hutch Cooper Murray Bryan
Billy Sav
Flem
Bradshaw Rab

Nine subs now. Bart Leonard Wes Alex Esse Watmore Casper Emakhu Vogi

Personally, I would give Esse at least one of the halves tomorrow, and maybe the whole game against Sittard?

If he comes through those two games, put him in the starting line up against Boro!

442 (diamond)
I really don’t think 3 centre backs and 2 wingbacks suits us and don’t want another start to the season like last year.

Bart

McNamara Hutch Cooper Wallace

Saville

Esse Fleming. Watmore

Bradshaw. Nisbit.

I thought I might get the ball rolling on who our best starting eleven might be tomorrow night. We really only have tomorrows game and Saturday against Fortuna Sittard before we start the regular season up at the Riverside. The time for experimenting is almost over except he does have to give Casper and Wes a few minutes to make sure he has not signed two duffers and to give us all a chance to see what we have bought. I was at the Gillingham game so I saw all the regulars plus Rab and Bryan and can make a guess at who might start at the Den.
Despite the talk of getting Travers on loan from Bournemouth there has been no news on that front. Hence we are left with Long and Bart and I think that GR will give Long the nod. Right back now has some competition from Wes but I think the Danny will get the nod. The big question is whether GR will go with two or three CB’s and I think he will go with three and they will be Hutch Cooper and Murray with. Ryan the obvious choice at LWB.

Midfield has a new face in Casper but I think the GR will go with the tried and tested duo of Billy and Sav with changes in the second half. Flem should start as a ten with Bradshaw and Rab up front.

My thoughts are,

Long
Danny Hutch Cooper Murray Bryan
Billy Sav
Flem
Bradshaw Rab

Nine subs now. Bart Leonard Wes Alex Esse Watmore Casper Emakhu Vogi
Danny Mac I believe is out so I think Leonard will get the nod at right wing back and the new lads will be on the bench. I would like to see Alex Mitchell start instead of Murray in a back 3

Just can’t see 5 at the back again? Not with the new players

bart
Danny/Leonard Cooper Harding bryan
De Norre. Saville
Fleming
Bradshaw nisbet Watmore

We will play 5 at the back, but with the players we have it will be more fluid

Mac - Leonard - Cooper - Wallace - Bryan
Esse - Mitchell
Flemming
Bradshaw - Nisbet

Esse can get forward more from midfield and Leonard can step in, Wallace can cover LB space as Bryan goes further forward.

I do think he's going to go with a back 5, which is not terrible providing you go with 2 up front.
So defending it's a 5 2 1 2, attacking it becomes a 3 4 1 2.

According to NAD Danny is out with a quad injury but could be back at the weekend. Maybe this changes the thinking about a back 4 or 5. It also opens the door for a change at RB. Stick with the tried and tested Leonard or give Wes a start there? Who knows.

Our most attacking, gung-ho performance last season was with a back 5 when we played Blackpool away, so I really don't understand why people see it as negative. You can be negative with a 4-4-2 (Any Tony Pulis team) or with a 4-3-3 (Mourinho team). It's not the formation, it's the philosophy.

The fact remains that if we want to play with two strikers and a number 10, then you have to play three centre-backs, two wing-backs and at least one holding midfielder because we will get torn several new arseholes if we get counter-attacked.