On reflection.

Lion-in-exile

After yesterdays defeat time for a bit of honest reflection.
I posted the question "Where will we finish this season" a couple of weeks ago, I said we will miss out on P/O and finish 8th.
Yesterdays game showed the very reason why I think we won't finish in the top 6, we lack that little bit of quality at both ends of the pitch, Long for me is bang average, he was clearly bought in to hoof the ball as far as he can as often as he can, yes his long kicks have resulted in a couple of goals but I 100% believe if Bart was still playing instead of sitting on the bench we would have more points than we have now! Our best passages of play yesterday was when we got the ball on the floor and played through and round them, why we regressed back to 70 yard hoofs up to Bradshaw (Who is always battling on his own against 2 or 3 giant defenders) was shocking!
They have 1-2 decent chances and score we have 6 - 7 and don't.
So, our lack of a little bit of quality and the injuries to important players throughout the season will be the reason we fall short! The fact that our only 2 goal threats (Bradshaw/Flemming) have both stopped scoring at the same time!!!
It would appear that a tweak to the formation maybe in order, with 5 games left we can't rely on other teams dropping points, it will go against everything that GR believes but we have to go out to win every game and not just to not lose!

Bart
Danny - Hutch - Coops - Murray/Malone

Billy - Saville - Honeyman/Shack

Flemming - Esse

Bradshaw

or

Bart

Danny - Hutch - Coops- Malone

Billy

Saville - Honeyman

Esse

Flemming/Burke - Bradshaw

Last edited:
I posted the question "Where will we finish this season" a couple of weeks ago, I said we will miss out on P/O and finish 8th.
Yesterdays game showed the very reason why I think we won't finish in the top 6, we lack that little bit of quality at both ends of the pitch, Long for me is bang average, he was clearly bought in to hoof the ball as far as he can as often as he can, yes his long kicks have resulted in a couple of goals but I 100% believe if Bart was still playing instead of sitting on the bench we would have more points than we have now! Our best passages of play yesterday was when we got the ball on the floor and played through and round them, why we regressed back to 70 yard hoofs up to Bradshaw (Who is always battling on his own against 2 or 3 giant defenders) was shocking!
So, our lack of a little bit of quality and the injuries to important players throughout the season will be the reason we fall short! The fact that our only 2 goal threats (Bradshaw/Flemming) have both stopped scoring at the same time!!!
It would appear that a tweak to the formation maybe in order, with 5 games left we can't rely on other teams dropping points, it will go against everything that GR believes but we have to go out to win every game and not just to not lose!

Bart

Flemming - Esse

Bradshaw

or

Bart

Billy

Saville - Honeyman

Esse

I think the only way we'd have more points is if we could fucking score. Which has nothing to do with Bart.

Every shot we take is hit at full pelt, most of Flemmings and Bradshaws goals have been passed or guided in the net ie controlled, which is the difference between hitting the target or putting it in the stands.

At the moment I would stick with Long. Also seems everyone has forgotten how to keep the ball down when shooting. Still overall we are higher than I expected given the lack of natural forwards we have.

We're on course for conceding less goals this season with Long in goal than Bart did in his time. By quite some margin as well. No doubt that'll be down to the midfield or Lurch or the burgers etc.

We should have beat Huddersfield and Hull, could easily have beat West Brom and Luton was a fair draw. All we were lacking was someone in the team to put chances away.
We all.know that one of the problems is lack of a proper C.F. and Whatmore seems not to be the answer but we need a creative midfielder not just stoppers and sideways passers , we are so close but No goals in the last 4 games is not top 6 form

Every shot we take is hit at full pelt, most of Flemmings and Bradshaws goals have been passed or guided in the net ie controlled, which is the difference between hitting the target or putting it in the stands.

Bart

Flemming - Esse

Bradshaw

or

Bart

Billy

Saville - Honeyman

Esse

Not sure Bart is any better than Long from long distance shots, he has had his share of shockers. In hand to hand combat I think he is sharper than Long. penalties likewise. Has long saved a penalty for us yet? Always feel Bart has a chance stopping them.

We all.know that one of the problems is lack of a proper C.F. and Whatmore seems not to be the answer but we need a creative midfielder not just stoppers and sideways passers , we are so close but No goals in the last 4 games is not top 6 form

We all.know that one of the problems is lack of a proper C.F. and Whatmore seems not to be the answer…..
In fairness to the lad, Phil, he hasn’t played that much game time since his signing, mostly coming on as a sub with 20 minutes left! The only way we, the supporters, but more importantly GR, will know what we have is to stick Watmore up front with Bradshaw (which I’m not sure GR will do), or try him as a lone forward (which means dropping Bradshaw), and I can’t see GR doing that either!