Lennie Pidgeley article

onlyagame

Interesting article in today’s Telelgraph & it might make you think twice before you c*** a player off (or a manager) Anyone remember being there?

“But he had returned to training, and Millwall, the club he had joined from Chelsea, were short of goalkeepers.
Pidgeley, who was 23 at the time, still cannot recall anything about the game, including the result (a 4-2 victory for Leeds United), other than his panic attack. Remembering the day remains an uncomfortable experience. “It had started during the summer, in the off-season,” Pidgeley says. “I started getting anxiety attacks and I’d be in bed, door locked under the covers with all the curtains closed. Millwall had sent me to the Priory and I hadn’t played for months.
“I’d just got back training a little bit and the goalkeeper who was on loan couldn’t play. I had been feeling a little bit better and the next thing I knew I was playing at Elland Road, first game back.
I was in the toilet 10 minutes before kick-off having a panic attack. I was dripping with sweat, vomiting, my heart was pumping out of my chest and I was trying to convince myself that my hamstring was going to go. I thought about it so much that I could feel my hamstring actually tightening up.
Then I was running out there, standing in front of 30,000 people. Three weeks earlier, I was thinking about killing myself and now they’re calling me a w-----, and whatever, and I’m just thinking, ‘Oh my God, if you knew what was going on in my head’

Pidgeley was one of those players who always found one or two players above him in the pecking order. If this article is accurate it suggests he never had the mental strength to be a professional. He made 269 appearances in a 16 year career and nobody can remember what he looks like.

Pidgeley was one of those players who always found one or two players above him in the pecking order. If this article is accurate it suggests he never had the mental strength to be a professional. He made 269 appearances in a 16 year career and nobody can remember what he looks like.
It obviously dogged him all his professional life:

“On 17 May 2018, Pidgeley joined Southern Football League side Farnborough. On 12 September, Farnborough announced Pidgeley's decision to retire due to mental health problems, which led to media backlash after the club's poor handling of the subject”

Last edited:
Sad, but a modern phenomena, if we got pissed off and didn’t feel well we were told to grow up and get on with it. Feel for pidgley though.

The article was in the paper because it’s the League Cup Final on Sunday & Pidgeley won a cup winners medal with Chelsea in 2005 (even though he only kept the bench warm)