Just Back v Watford

silverlion

Staff member
A decent performance which was gritty and determined and a good point that was almost three!

We started well and pushed the ball around well. It was quite clear that this was a an afternoon that we were not going to take lying down. There was lots of close marking, some solid tackles and a real desire to stay on the front foot. It worked well until the fifth minute and they took the lead in a fortunate moment. Their attack seemed to Peter out in the box as Cooper came across to clear. He hit it firmly and it hit their 18 on the knee, looped over Bart for 1-0 to them. It really was unfair. It took us a few minutes to get our act together but we did start to press. Flem looked lively, Honeyman was aggressive on the left, Casper and Sav were holding it together in the middle. They had other ideas. They really turned the screw from a corner and Bart made an excellent reflex save to push the ball wide. Then Flem had a fair shot and it was our turn to press. We attacked and the ball fell nicely for Casper outside the box. A lovely floated cross was headed on and there was Flem at the back post to nod it low and hard past their keeper.
They play some lovely diagonals and put us on the back foot. Their wingers were tricky, stayed really wide and made life difficult for Danny and Murray. I was pleased to get to half time all square.

The second half was much better for us. We pushed and pressed well and they were forced to keep us at bay. There was some lively play from Brook, some real strength from Sav who was not giving an inch and Casper was playing a solid and creative game alongside him. We looked good going forward and they were more contained. There were strong words and eyeball to eyeball between their 39 and Sav and it was clear that George was not going to be bullied by him. They had a decent spell around the 70th minute mark and we had to be at our sharpest to keep them out. Sheer aggression carried us through which ended with what we all hoped would be the winning goal. A decent corner from Sav was met emphatically by Wes who powered it home. Our mob went nuts. Longman had come on earlier for Honeyman and Billy and Rab came on late too. They pushed and pressed and their pressure told in added time. Danny was stranded with two to mark and the floated cross was headed home for 2-2 by their CF. We huffed and puffed but there were no more goals and it ended all square.

Bart played OK and had little chance with either goal but made a great save in the first half. Danny was all energy and aggression and played well. Cooper and Murray were solid but Wes made a couple of blips. BNC played wide right in a four man midfield and had some moments. Casper was solid, Honeyman was aggressive on the left but MOM for me was Sav who never gave an inch for ninety minutes. Flem took his goal well and had some good moments and Tom was a constant thorn in their side and played well without really being a threat. Longman looked good in spells and Billy and Rab had decent cameos and helped to bottle it up at the end.
A decent point in the end which I would have taken at the end. I met Pete O’Mara and boys before the game and had a long and interesting conversation with Dan, son of Jason on the walk back to the station. The opinion about the next boss was Eustace or Beale and that included chats on the Euston train and on the tube to London Bridge with two other fans. A decent afternoon and result.

A decent performance which was gritty and determined and a good point that was almost three!

We started well and pushed the ball around well. It was quite clear that this was a an afternoon that we were not going to take lying down. There was lots of close marking, some solid tackles and a real desire to stay on the front foot. It worked well until the fifth minute and they took the lead in a fortunate moment. Their attack seemed to Peter out in the box as Cooper came across to clear. He hit it firmly and it hit their 18 on the knee, looped over Bart for 1-0 to them. It really was unfair. It took us a few minutes to get our act together but we did start to press. Flem looked lively, Honeyman was aggressive on the left, Casper and Sav were holding it together in the middle. They had other ideas. They really turned the screw from a corner and Bart made an excellent reflex save to push the ball wide. Then Flem had a fair shot and it was our turn to press. We attacked and the ball fell nicely for Casper outside the box. A lovely floated cross was headed on and there was Flem at the back post to nod it low and hard past their keeper.
They play some lovely diagonals and put us on the back foot. Their wingers were tricky, stayed really wide and made life difficult for Danny and Murray. I was pleased to get to half time all square.

The second half was much better for us. We pushed and pressed well and they were forced to keep us at bay. There was some lively play from Brook, some real strength from Sav who was not giving an inch and Casper was playing a solid and creative game alongside him. We looked good going forward and they were more contained. There were strong words and eyeball to eyeball between their 39 and Sav and it was clear that George was not going to be bullied by him. They had a decent spell around the 70th minute mark and we had to be at our sharpest to keep them out. Sheer aggression carried us through which ended with what we all hoped would be the winning goal. A decent corner from Sav was met emphatically by Wes who powered it home. Our mob went nuts. Longman had come on earlier for Honeyman and Billy and Rab came on late too. They pushed and pressed and their pressure told in added time. Danny was stranded with two to mark and the floated cross was headed home for 2-2 by their CF. We huffed and puffed but there were no more goals and it ended all square.

Bart played OK and had little chance with either goal but made a great save in the first half. Danny was all energy and aggression and played well. Cooper and Murray were solid but Wes made a couple of blips. BNC played wide right in a four man midfield and had some moments. Casper was solid, Honeyman was aggressive on the left but MOM for me was Sav who never gave an inch for ninety minutes. Flem took his goal well and had some good moments and Tom was a constant thorn in their side and played well without really being a threat. Longman looked good in spells and Billy and Rab had decent cameos and helped to bottle it up at the end.
A decent point in the end which I would have taken at the end. I met Pete O’Mara and boys before the game and had a long and interesting conversation with Dan, son of Jason on the walk back to the station. The opinion about the next boss was Eustace or Beale and that included chats on the Euston train and on the tube to London Bridge with two other fans. A decent afternoon and result.
Re Bart: I think you need to take another look at their first goal

The second half was much better for us. We pushed and pressed well and they were forced to keep us at bay. There was some lively play from Brook, some real strength from Sav who was not giving an inch and Casper was playing a solid and creative game alongside him. We looked good going forward and they were more contained. There were strong words and eyeball to eyeball between their 39 and Sav and it was clear that George was not going to be bullied by him. They had a decent spell around the 70th minute mark and we had to be at our sharpest to keep them out. Sheer aggression carried us through which ended with what we all hoped would be the winning goal. A decent corner from Sav was met emphatically by Wes who powered
it home. Our mob went nuts. Longman had come on earlier for Honeyman and Billy and Rab came on late too. They pushed and pressed and their pressure told in added time. Danny was stranded with two to mark and the floated cross was headed home for 2-2 by their CF. We huffed and puffed but there were no more goals and it ended all square.

1698529165854.jpegThis is the Cnut! There were strong words and eyeball to eyeball between their 39 and Sav and it was clear that George was not going to be bullied by him.

Thanks Silver , its always nice to read your brilliant reports ,I only caught the last 20 min on Fawna ,I was impressed with how we were passing and looked on fire with good movement and desire but I also saw some very poor defending and goalkeeping , we have the makings of a good team ,once the new man comes in and fixes the mistakes a very strong defence is making and fine tunes our midfield then the goals will come with clean sheets and 3pts shooting us up the table .
Wes scored again ,I have been impressed with him since his debut ,a fans fav in the making I think , Flemming was unlucky not to get a second goal today but its nice to see him hitting the back of the net again after a poor start lets hope he gets 20 this season with a good few assists , Casper ,what can I say the lad is class ,I think the subbing was wrong and probably why we didnt get 3 pts unless there was a reason to pull him off I hope not , BNC is a wildcard I do like his forward runs but he is a liability at times ,having an on form Danny behind may be a good partnership as he is clueless at defending loses players too easily ,hopefully the new manager sorts him out , Honeyman is a good player who has just come back from injury ,give him time people he will come good ,Longman is a good player I do like him ,again just finding his feet in a new team that has had so many injurys , a fully fit 11 and the bench is packed with options and very decent players, the best bench we have had in a very very long time .
A point away to a good Watford side it should of been 3 really as we again gifted the oppo 2 goals is ok as even if GR was here ,most of us would of took a point at 3pm , A big shout out to our roaring Lions in the stands Wow you came over so fkn loud on the tv ,MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

We are a rudderless ship going nowhere, maybe down. But with an astute appointment with the players we have on what I’ve seen so far we could be top 6.

We are a rudderless ship going nowhere, maybe down. But with an astute appointment with the players we have on what I’ve seen so far we could be top 6.
I’ve heard it all before Mark, these players aren’t as good as you think. They’re adequate & a decent manager might get more out of them but the squad is basically a mix of rejects, loan players & one or two of our own.
If you were a manager starting from scratch how many of these players would you buy? I’ve got four or five tops (& one of them a few pundits on here wanted dropped a couple of weeks ago)

For a start being in the championship means all your players are rejects, loanees and your own younguns. A good manager who is clever enough with a good philosophy on how to play can make teams great. We do have players who with some guidance could get us promoted maybe via the play offs. Following that if we did go up with the players we have I’m afraid it would be 1 season for sure. I look at Ipswich and Plymouth with nobodies in their teams and see them playing good football, it’s possible. Unfortunately for us we don’t play good passing football so we are never outplaying teams and creating tap ins, or even shooting goals. We rely on overloading the box with our height from corners and set pieces to score. We are hardly ever comfortable in a game especially being pressed, always struggling to control a misplaced or mid weighted pass. We need some quality coaching and direction on the pitch. As for buying our players, with the budget we have I’d say I’d buy the same again. Gr bought some gooduns. Just my opinion

Cheers Silver. Agree that Saville for MoM.
Never stopped working.
Love him mate. We're a much better side when he's playing. Tough, wise and great leadership qualities. Also a good example and teacher for Mitchell. You often see him talking Billy through the game. He hasn''t the legs for the back and forth anymore which used to bring us goals but he is still a big asset to the team. He never leaves the ref alone and battles for everything. He's very much become a Millwall type player with his tenacity and toughness plus he never goes missing.

I was gutted when we sold him instead of Jed to Middlesborough. I thought we let the better player go.

For a start being in the championship means all your players are rejects, loanees and your own younguns. A good manager who is clever enough with a good philosophy on how to play can make teams great. We do have players who with some guidance could get us promoted maybe via the play offs. Following that if we did go up with the players we have I’m afraid it would be 1 season for sure. I look at Ipswich and Plymouth with nobodies in their teams and see them playing good football, it’s possible. Unfortunately for us we don’t play good passing football so we are never outplaying teams and creating tap ins, or even shooting goals. We rely on overloading the box with our height from corners and set pieces to score. We are hardly ever comfortable in a game especially being pressed, always struggling to control a misplaced or mid weighted pass. We need some quality coaching and direction on the pitch. As for buying our players, with the budget we have I’d say I’d buy the same again. Gr bought some gooduns. Just my opinion
Great observations and comments which I totally agree. However, I think things could change with the incoming manager whoever it is! 👍