Just Back v Blades on iFlop

silverlion

Staff member
A decent performance and we just about deserved the three points.

We made a bright start and had the ball in the net after 2 minutes but Jed was offside. We had the better of the first ten minutes. There was some good pressing with Saville playing almost a ten role. He broke up play several times and we played in their half. A decent corner was cleared to Evans on seven minutes but his shot was wide. Then we had some luck. A good ball to Jed saw a floated cross which deceived the keeper and it floated in near the far post for 1-0. It was no more than we deserved. We continued to press forward and long cross came to Molly on the left who cut in on his right foot but his shot was over.
They began to come into it. A good pass split our defence but McGoldrick's shot was pushed wide by Bart. On 34 Cooper was wiped out by Gibbs white who got a yellow but the free kick came to nothing. They continued to press and got their reward on the stroke of half time. A short corner caught Molly on the wrong side and his clumsy challenge led to a penalty. Sharp sent Bart the wrong was for 1-1 at the break.

They started the brighter after the break and pressed us back. We struggled a little to retain possession but they gave us a lifeline on 55. Their Gibbs White took a dive in the box, got his second yellow and was off for a early bath. We pressed forward with a decent interception from Evans who passed to Jed but his shot was saved. On 65 Evans knocked it wide to Molly but his shot went off for a corner. The header from the corner was from Cooper but it was wide. The game was screaming for fresh legs and on 74 Smith and Benik came on for Bradshaw and Ojo. There was a good ball forward to Benik who ran into the box, backheeled it to Molly but his shot was blocked. A minute later a good beak by Jed saw a pass to Benik but his shot was wide. That was Molly's last action as he was replaced by Bennett. Jed had a shot a couple of minutes later and it bounced off to Bennett who shot wide. The game was getting really stretched as they piled forward but we kept them at bay. With 3 to go a decent cross from Jed found Smith but his header was wide.

There was six minutes added and we continued to press Some good forward movement found Evans who squared it to Cooper who smashed it home left footed for 2-1 at the death. Everybody went nuts. We saw out the remaining time with no drama.

Bart made some good saves to keep us in it and had no chance with the pen. Leonard looked solid all evening and defended well and supported the attack. Ballard was his normal class and probably shaded MOM with a mature performance. Hutch had one blip and Cooper played OK but the goal was a screamer and could not be stopped. Molly played well and got forward well. Saville had a good first half and playing further forward clearly suited him. Evans had a decent game. Jed turned the game with the opening goal and had some good moments but was running on empty at the end. Ojo came and went and Bradshaw had his normal busy game but showed little threat. He had one moment when he could have shone. A ball came in from the left to him which he should have just left to Leonard who was steaming in to his right. Instead, he tried a shot, completely messed it up and the chance was gone. Smith had one header wide but did little else. Benik looked lively and helped to stretch the game. Bennett was similar and had some late impact.
So, our clueless manager picked an odd team but we pressed well early on and deserved our lead. He took too long to make subs when they were down to ten but we came away with all three points and his reputation remained intact. Cooper's goal was unstoppable!

Cheers as always Silver think the game turned early in the second half when mcgoldrick skied one over the bar from two yards when it seemed easier to score and then the sending off. Like you i wish Rowett would be braver and make positive attacking subs much earlier. If we only had a natural goalscorer up front we could do so much better.

Good report Silver.
Why do we look so good in the first 20 minutes of a match, playing a decent passing game & then just hit a wall? Oje never really got into the game but maybe he’s playing out of position

Cheers Silver.
Thought Evans had a good game as did Saville.
Most of the busy forward play was led by Jed as usual.
Ballard really does show his class at this level and I reckon he will go on to have a fine career in the game.
If what we saw from Afobe and Bennett tonight was anything to go by, then i feel if GR had brought them on 15-20 minutes earlier, we could have had it sown up before added time.
Sheffield United were at best average and we deservedly got the 3 points.
Pleased for Jake also, as he hasn't been in the best of form. Well done to him and the team.

I’m hoping that the goal will get the confidence back that Jake has been lacking recently.
I think its more a problem of Rowett playing Coops as a left sided centre back in a 3 rather than a 2 with a left back outside of him. He’s been an excellent signing for us with Hutch and I was surprised Reading let him go. I just hope Rowett eventually sees sense and plays him in a back 4. If we continue to play 3 slow centre backs it won’t suit him and in my opinion they do seem to get in each others way.

Proves we can do it. Another big gun bites the dust against little old Millwall. Heard all the customary 'We shouldn't be losing to the likes of Millwall' on the way back to the car. Come on Rowett lets start to become more positive in our approach to games.

Last edited:
I thought the first half up til they scored we looked comfortable without creating too much.
Once they scored and going into the 2nd half we looked disorganised and flapping about like much last Saturday.
Game turned on three on the McGoldrick miss,that Bart save (Cooper was at fault there) and the sending off for the dive (cunt tried it on Malone for obvious reasons I believe).
But we still persisted with playing it long and not playing around them as often as they should have.

good result and better performance than v Luton.

Last edited:
I’ve watched the highlights and, on reflection, maybe Bart should be MOM. The two good saves he made were top drawer and he kept us in the game. The second save where he tipped it over the bar was very good.
The time to make subs was around 60. They did not look good when they were down to ten but we could have pressed home our advantage sooner with fresh legs. Benik had a decent fifteen and Bennett looked an aggressive threat on the left for the last ten.
I have watched the Jed goal a few times and I don’t think it was a fluke like the goal we conceded at Forest. He definitely looks up to see the keeper a few yards off his line and then hits a great looping shot to the far post. The keeper should have saved it but was deceived by the flight. It was an exciting game to watch on iFlop but we should have tied it up a lot sooner than the 92nd minute!

Good report Silver.
Why do we look so good in the first 20 minutes of a match, playing a decent passing game & then just hit a wall? Oje never really got into the game but maybe he’s playing out of position
Ojo's just utter shit in my opinion. Hes a winger & is being played on the wing.
He pulls out of tackles, kicks the ball out unneccesarily & adds very little if anything to our team.
No wonder he's a hot potato, no fucker wants him back.