How the game has changed with 5 subs from 9

BigPaul

We have historically talked about players being a 90 minute player in terms of the energy they have.
In the old days players would have to manage their efforts during a game in order to ensure they could last 90 minutes for fear of being found wanting in the dying stages of a game.
That was also the case if the quality available to the manager on the bench was not as good as the starting eleven.

Today's match at Boro' has shown me how much things have changed.

We now have the luxury of being able to say to our attacking players, "OK, go and run your hearts out for 60 minutes and then we'll sub you if necessary"
With modern monitoring techniques there has never been more information available about the physical condition of players during a match.
The fitness staff can see at any moment how far a player has run, heart rate and respiration and probably much more.

Of course, this is only any good if you have the right quality of players on the bench to replace those who started.

I'm guessing most managers would choose this tactic with creative and attacking players, rather than defenders.

This is important, because when we make our changes to our creative players, the new, fresh legs will be coming up against defenders from the opposition who are likely to play the whole 90 mins.

Nowhere was this demonstrated better than our goal today.
Against a tiring defence, we brought on probably our fastest player in Idamo and one of our most skillful in Romain Esse.
Our move for the goal was the quickest we had turned defence into attack in the whole match.
Idamo left their left back completely on his arse before tearing off down the wing.
It was no surprise to see who was on the end of the cross, because Esse too was fresh and had no trouble keeping up with the play.
Having said that, it was no tap in, was it?
That was a class finish, worthy of any Premiership player.

Anyway, the beauty of having such a strong squad as we have now is that we can change it around as the manager sees fit.
Next week it may be Watmore who comes off the bench and Esse who starts.
Same in midfield. Some weeks Saville will start and Casper will come on as sub.

Whichever way you look at it, you need an intelligent manager to look after his resources and make the subs at the right time.

Apologies if I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but it sometimes takes me a while to catch up and fully understand how things work.
It is certainly a far cry from the game I grew up watching.

For me, it’s a load of bolloxs.
Nine subs on the bench is far too many & it must put pressure on squad numbers and wages.
How is it fair that in a physical game a player, say Hutch for example, who has knocked his bolloxs out for 80 minutes, has to suddenly mark a fresh player who (depending on the type of opposition player) would be able to out run him or out muscle him? It’s like Usain Bolt being able to come out and run the last 200 yards of the marathon for someone.
No wonder there are so many hamstring and calf injuries nowadays.

For me, it’s a load of bolloxs.
Nine subs on the bench is far too many & it must put pressure on squad numbers and wages.
How is it fair that in a physical game a player, say Hutch for example, who has knocked his bolloxs out for 80 minutes, has to suddenly mark a fresh player who (depending on the type of opposition player) would be able to out run him or out muscle him? It’s like Usain Bolt being able to come out and run the last 200 yards of the marathon for someone.
No wonder there are so many hamstring and calf injuries nowadays.
I think it's a load of shit too.

A sub used to be for replacing an injured player or someone who was absolutely running on empty, whereas now it's mainly for tactical changes. All very well if that's your bag, but give it another 20 years or so and I wouldn't be surprised if there were rolling subs and basically bringing on 'special teams' for set pieces etc, like NFL.
I quite like to see players digging in in the last 15 minutes and giving everything when they are blowing out of their arse, a bit like the championship rounds in boxing.

I'd be happier with only 2 subs as well. But that's not the rules so I'm just glad that we've got the bench that we have. We really have strengthened this year. It shows how strong we are that the likes of Esse, Saville and Bradshaw don't start.

But isn’t it the same for both sides?

Emakhu came on with fresh legs against a tiring Boro defender, and our players pace took advantage of that!

How is that any different before the rule change?

We have historically talked about players being a 90 minute player in terms of the energy they have.
In the old days players would have to manage their efforts during a game in order to ensure they could last 90 minutes for fear of being found wanting in the dying stages of a game.
That was also the case if the quality available to the manager on the bench was not as good as the starting eleven.

Today's match at Boro' has shown me how much things have changed.

We now have the luxury of being able to say to our attacking players, "OK, go and run your hearts out for 60 minutes and then we'll sub you if necessary"
With modern monitoring techniques there has never been more information available about the physical condition of players during a match.
The fitness staff can see at any moment how far a player has run, heart rate and respiration and probably much more.

Of course, this is only any good if you have the right quality of players on the bench to replace those who started.

I'm guessing most managers would choose this tactic with creative and attacking players, rather than defenders.

This is important, because when we make our changes to our creative players, the new, fresh legs will be coming up against defenders from the opposition who are likely to play the whole 90 mins.

Nowhere was this demonstrated better than our goal today.
Against a tiring defence, we brought on probably our fastest player in Idamo and one of our most skillful in Romain Esse.
Our move for the goal was the quickest we had turned defence into attack in the whole match.
Idamo left their left back completely on his arse before tearing off down the wing.
It was no surprise to see who was on the end of the cross, because Esse too was fresh and had no trouble keeping up with the play.
Having said that, it was no tap in, was it?
That was a class finish, worthy of any Premiership player.

Anyway, the beauty of having such a strong squad as we have now is that we can change it around as the manager sees fit.
Next week it may be Watmore who comes off the bench and Esse who starts.
Same in midfield. Some weeks Saville will start and Casper will come on as sub.

Whichever way you look at it, you need an intelligent manager to look after his resources and make the subs at the right time.

Apologies if I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but it sometimes takes me a while to catch up and fully understand how things work.
It is certainly a far cry from the game I grew up watching.
Slight correction BP it was their right back who Aidomo left on his arse. 😉

Well, I know many are gonna go bonkers over this thought, but Burey’s direct attack, and speed added to those other two young whiz kids would’ve made an overwhelming attack for the last 15 or 20 minutes of the game. It was pretty damn good as it was. Too bad Burey can’t fit in. I really think he has talent.

Last edited:
But isn’t it the same for both sides?

Emakhu came on with fresh legs against a tiring Boro defender, and our players pace took advantage of that!

How is that any different before the rule change?
The only difference is monetary because possibly you need a bigger squad. What I was saying is that I’m not in favour of multiple substitutions per say, it slows the game down for one (we know it does because of all the substitutions in injury time which ruins the momentum of the game for the fans) and I honestly believe it causes more injuries

Sky are currently negotiating a deal for the half time 5 a side league, which will have a penalty shoot out league during the half time of that.

I knew 9 subs was bolloxs, we’ve picked a kid on the bench whose got no chance of playing and two goalkeepers! (it also shows that our squad must be a bit light)