How can we change the home form

Brickwall

We are doing really well away but struggling at home can’t understand it to be honest think g r was a bit negative but other than that don’t no

Getting to 2nd balls quicker. Take free kicks & throw ons faster. A couple of short corners would mix things up. Use cooper to drag defenders out of the box for corners by making runs in from outside rather than standing in a crowd of players. ...... give Long a start in goal! Play brads and nessy up front together.

Last edited:
No idea but it doesnt make a lot of sense we have only lost 3 of our last 13 away games which with just decent home firm would make us challengees at the top

We are doing really well away but struggling at home can’t understand it to be honest think g r was a bit negative but other than that don’t no
"Struggling" is a bit of an understatement, we have been absolutely shocking!!
I wouldn't mind betting GR has the worst home win ratio than any manager in recent times!

I think it is because of how home teams are expected to perform and how away teams are expected to respond to that.
Generally, home teams are expected to take the initiative, be on the front foot, attack and look to win the game.
Away teams are expected to dig in and defend, and try and snatch something on the break.
Our game at Plymouth was the classic example of that.
GR has set us up to be very good at doing exactly what we did at Plymouth. Soak up the pressure, frustrate the opposition, then hit them when they start to tire and run out of ideas.
To a great extent that's what happened at Watford yesterday too.

Obviously, it doesn't always work. Look no further than Norwich away for an example of when it doesn't work.

So, having set up to play that way away from home, to put it simply, we don't really have a plan for playing as the "home" team. Plus, when we do have a go at teams at home, e.g. Blackburn and Hull in the second halves, we just don't have the quality to put away the half chances we create.

There were some good signs at Watford yesterday. We had more players in the box when we were attacking, looking to get on the end of crosses.
Our first goal was a classic example of that.
I think Barrett did see the problem against Blackburn as clearly as we did. He started to try to address it yesterday, in my opinion.

Play front foot attacking football and the fans give our Manager and Players a break. Instead turn our abuse on the opposition like we should be doing.

We need a different system. Teams have sussed us and are ripping us apart with overlapping and underlapping 1-2s.

If we can’t find a way to counteract, this will continue. My fear for Saturday is Southampton will tippy tap their way through the match waiting for us to drop our guard and when we do it’ll be game over.

In terms of attacking, when we do win possession we’ll be hemmed in our own half and resort to launch ball, immediately handing possession back.

It’s going to be a long afternoon, my only hope is they cock up tippy tapping at the back and they’re are as vulnerable aerially as Watford were yesterday 🙏

"Struggling" is a bit of an understatement, we have been absolutely shocking!!
I wouldn't mind betting GR has the worst home win ratio than any manager in recent times!
Far from it. Averaged one defeat from five played. He managed 196 games in all competitions having 76 wins, 57 draws and 63 defeats in that time. Of those 76 wins, 23 of them have been by a scoreline of 1-0. Reckon he has around 15 defeats from roughly 90 home games. We had good spells at home under him. One that saw lose only 5 from 35 played plus a few other good unbeaten home runs. He's also probably the first manager in a while to get us winning away from home. Add in the draws it isn't a bad record given our recent history.

Last edited:
Far from it. Averaged one defeat from five played. He managed 196 games in all competitions having 76 wins, 57 draws and 63 defeats in that time. Of those 76 wins, 23 of them have been by a scoreline of 1-0. Reckon he has around 15 defeats from roughly 90 home games. We had good spells at home under him. One that saw lose only 5 from 35 played plus a few other good unbeaten home runs. He also probably the first manager in a while to get us winning away from home. Add in the draws it isn't a bad record given our recent history.
Rowetts record was solid. No doubting that. Still would’ve liked to see him see this season out to see what he could do with this bunch. Now we have a potential mini rebuild on our hands and we’re delicately balanced between success and failure. This manager appointment is possibly the strangest one of our lifetime. Can you remember back to a manager that done so well that we had to replace? Or another way of looking at it, is a manager that never looked like being relegated - gone after 13 games.

SK and JB have got their work cut out, either way.

We need a different system. Teams have sussed us and are ripping us apart with overlapping and underlapping 1-2s.

If we can’t find a way to counteract, this will continue. My fear for Saturday is Southampton will tippy tap their way through the match waiting for us to drop our guard and when we do it’ll be game over.

In terms of attacking, when we do win possession we’ll be hemmed in our own half and resort to launch ball, immediately handing possession back.

It’s going to be a long afternoon, my only hope is they cock up tippy tapping at the back and they’re are as vulnerable aerially as Watford were yesterday 🙏
Definitely will be tippy tally but it’s goals that count not possession as we’ve seen from past performances.

Members online

No members online now.