History movements of the Den

Buzz, can I claim a commendation for the following?

Played at Millwall Park, (now has another name)

Played at the old Den

Watched at the new ground.

Ulster, very droll.
😂Apologies Obes, but it was better than saying that you were on Shore Leave when you watched our first ever game.......and you spotted Paris on the touchline in his full kit.

Gazza, correct, I still refer to them by their original nickname , "The Dockers". Until the day he died my Old Dad always called them "The Dockers". I rarely use "Lions", usually just "The 'Wall".

Have played at Millwall Park in Sunday League games.
Have played at both the Old Den at the New Den but not at football but as a musician.
Old Den was doing a pre-match and half time show. Can't remember if it was 1977 or 1978 but we drew 1-1 with Sheffield United.
New Den was at the World Marching Band Championships where a band I was teaching music to was competing.
Legend has it that my great-granddad watched Millwall play on the Isle Of Dogs.
My kids are the 5th generation in our family to support The Lions.

Half of them at The Somme
That's actually quite thought provoking you saying that... I wonder how many fellas that watched us at the Island grounds and first few years in New Cross perished in the Great War. A bloody good number I would expect.

I remember reading a website that listed and mapped the Isle of Dogs Great War dead (it might have been a link off of here, I can't remember) and as you would expect the poor sods lived on every street.

Gazza, correct, I still refer to them by their original nickname , "The Dockers". Until the day he died my Old Dad always called them "The Dockers". I rarely use "Lions", usually just "The 'Wall".
I've just realised I only use the term 'wall' when talking about (well) wall.

Played at Millwall Park, (now has another name)
I took my boy over to the Island for a history lesson and we had a kick about on that park. Also went to all the locations where we once called home. The islander was the pub we first used as HQ and to get changed in. Glengall road our first ground 1885 to 86. Our second ground behind the Lord Nelson 1886/ 1890. The Athletic ground 1890/1901 was our third. North Greenwich the fourtdhground 1901/ 1910. We know the rest when thankfully it came to the heart of south London.

Last edited: