Esse on loan

HappyLion

Gary Rowett has emphatically dismissed any suggestion that Romain Esse will be loaned out this season.

The 18-year-old attacker impressed for Millwall in a central midfield role in the opening 45 minutes of Saturday’s friendly win at Gillingham.

Esse, capped by England at U18 level, made 12 Championship appearances in the previous campaign.

“I can be accused of many things – but that much stupidity would be pushing, it even for me,” Rowett told told the South London Press.

“I’ve worked with a lot of young players before and their very first steps are that you involve them around the first team and any appearance they get is a bonus – it’s more a feeling of being with a team and what it looks like. He had that last season.

“He had times when he came off the bench and did really well and he had times he came off the bench and didn’t impact it as much as you’d like – but that is what the process is all about.

“We’re trying to get into the Premier League, at the same time, which is never an easy balance.

And Rowett instantly shut down any talk that the prospect would be heading away from SE16 as part of his development.

Gary Rowett has emphatically dismissed any suggestion that Romain Esse will be loaned out this season.

The 18-year-old attacker impressed for Millwall in a central midfield role in the opening 45 minutes of Saturday’s friendly win at Gillingham.

Esse, capped by England at U18 level, made 12 Championship appearances in the previous campaign.

“I can be accused of many things – but that much stupidity would be pushing, it even for me,” Rowett told told the South London Press.

“I’ve worked with a lot of young players before and their very first steps are that you involve them around the first team and any appearance they get is a bonus – it’s more a feeling of being with a team and what it looks like. He had that last season.

“He had times when he came off the bench and did really well and he had times he came off the bench and didn’t impact it as much as you’d like – but that is what the process is all about.

“We’re trying to get into the Premier League, at the same time, which is never an easy balance.

And Rowett instantly shut down any talk that the prospect would be heading away from SE16 as part of his development.
Good news!

Esse needs to start against both Boro away and City at home - he’ll make mistakes (that’s to be expected), but hopefully the positives will outweigh any negatives and the lad will grow in confidence every game he plays!

This lad could be a game changer if he goes into each match believing in himself and what he can do!

Good news!

Esse needs to start against both Boro away and City at home - he’ll make mistakes (that’s to be expected), but hopefully the positives will outweigh any negatives and the lad will grow in confidence every game he plays!

This lad could be a game changer if he goes into each match believing in himself and what he can do!

Hopefully the fans will give him a chance if he does make a mistake, we dont want another Burey situation on our hands.

Hopefully the fans will give him a chance if he does make a mistake, we dont want another Burey situation on our hands.
Think the issue from Burey is that, naturally he wasn't "one of our own" seeing as we got him from Wimbledon.

If I'm remember rightly, he went straight into being in and around the first team squad whilst still being quite young and even now. A transfer from a League 2 to Champ team perhaps boosted his ego, mixed with not understanding the clubs philosophy & fans, potentially leading to the current situation of thinking he's better than what he's currently being given.

Esse though, has been brought through our system and academy , so similar to Mitchell, DanMac and Thompson in the past, you'd imagine he would replicate that mindset/philosophy and hopefully surpass expectation.

Who knows, just a theory.

Think the issue from Burey is that, naturally he wasn't "one of our own" seeing as we got him from Wimbledon.

If I'm remember rightly, he went straight into being in and around the first team squad whilst still being quite young and even now. A transfer from a League 2 to Champ team perhaps boosted his ego, mixed with not understanding the clubs philosophy & fans, potentially leading to the current situation of thinking he's better than what he's currently being given.

Esse though, has been brought through our system and academy , so similar to Mitchell, DanMac and Thompson in the past, you'd imagine he would replicate that mindset/philosophy and hopefully surpass expectation.

Who knows, just a theory.
Basically Esse does not come over as someone being motivated by an over inflated ego. He will pull up trees this season.

Members online