Next season’s squad and expectations

Well what a ride that was. When you look at the last 11 games that is promotion form, but I’m not getting carried away for next season. It’s a weird division. Bottom beats top, a coupon buster every bloody week (I’ve had plenty!).

The Edwards period was hard, I don’t blame him personally as I’m sure he will be a good manager / coach at a club that has the luxury of being able to afford highly technical players. In his previous role he had the cream of crop of England’s youngsters and the facilities available to him. Hopefully he will look at lessons identified and turn them into lessons learnt and that will be defining in his own personal development, sometimes you have to change your style and play to the strengths you have available to you.

The NH interview posted in another thread was defining for me. We are fairly unique, he spoke about the connection between fans and the team, the team and the fans and when it’s good we fly. I’ve had some of the best times when we have that momentum, hairs standing up on the back of my neck just thinking about it.

We don’t often have out and out stars, and when we do, rarely have the ability to hold onto them. Unfortunately that is the business of running a football club. We should be proud when that happens, no different to any business, I personally am immensely proud when people that have worked for me in the past have gone on to bigger and better things as I have been an enabler to their personal development. Rinse repeat.

The Berylson’s have been amazing for our club, without them who knows where we would be now and I’m sure James will continue in that manner and am forever grateful to John (RIP). Pretty amazing how a little south London football club has captivated an American family like it has, but that, as Danny Shittu would say ‘it’s what we do’. Doesn’t stop there either, so many foreign lads now coming over to watch us, we should be proud of that, not shun them as this will see sustainability into the future through gate receipt and merch sales. And hopefully at some point a larger developed ground to accommodate regular bigger crowds. We are in London competing with much larger clubs and fan bases, I don’t subscribe to the it’s not my Millwall, as that’s what NH is saying, it’s about the team crowd connection, just on a larger scale. We can do this, once you have the bug you are a lifer.

Reading to some of the drivel on here I’m not sure what some actually want, or indeed what they think is truly achievable, or they are just trolls. I didn’t see one of them posting in yesterday’s match thread, but they would have been over it like a rash if we had lost. If they are fans, what do they think they are achieving by behaving like that? It will certainly take years off their life carrying all that bitterness.

In regard to the team I think we have some real opportunity. Some of the established players will be here still, I think Lenny, Danny, Saville, Watmore, Billy and Cooper have been immense and would retain them. Have they been world beaters every game, no, they are human beings and they make mistakes. Those calling for Esse and Emaku to start every game, well it would have ruined them. They are not Owen, Rooney, Giggs etc. But they will have developed. Esse looked like areal player in the making v Leicester. Maybe next season will be their opportunity to establish a place in the starting line up. The likes of Longman, Honeyman, Tanganga, Flemming, Sarkic, BNC have all played their part, at times immensely so and would be great to keep some if not all of them. We may struggle to keep hold of Tanganga as he is, albeit some would say otherwise, different class. What people forget is that it has been a disruptive season, unfortunately this will always play out in human behaviour. Next season we have a massive opportunity to start afresh, with a foundation of a team that have achieved great things these last 11 games.

I’d like to see an out and out striker brought in, I know we have Bradshaw and Nisbet, both plagued with injury, and I don’t think we have had a real opportunity to see Nisbet’s capability yet. Obefemi has worked tremendously hard off the ball and with his 2 goals has shown class. People forget he had not played for quite a while, then coming into a new team had to get up to speed. He hasn’t had enough time, but showed glimpses of what he is capable of. Mayor is another unknown and next season will be like getting a new signing. Longman will definitely shine next season, this last 11 games will be a massive confidence booster. Casper has undoubtedly got the footballing brains, we just need to work out how best to utilise it, again will benefit from the backend of this season.

I would let go, Harding, Wallace and Hutchinson, all great servants but not sure how they fit in now.

I’m going to draw stumps now as I have repetitive strain injury!! COYL, let’s get behind the team, let’s welcome every oppo with that famous Den roar, let’s make it a fortress once more.

Special mention for Neil and Livermore… lionhearts, thank you. True legends and hope there is a place for you next season.
Great post, not gonna lie though had to stop for a coffee break halfway through.

The manager :hmmm:

I think he has learnt in some departments. Timing of subs and tactical changes decent. But what i can't make my mind up over is how much has he learnt and how much can he improve? We've just had 11 cup finals and Harris is your man for the big games ans he loves a scalp.

But there isn't 46 cup finals in this league. Done a proper job on Leicester but can he get us to do jobs on the bread and butter of this league?
EXACTLY what I was thinking, I just mentioned on another thread that he will certainly do for the interim but long term... jury is still out on that one.

I my heart of hearts, I hope he becomes a natural and smashes it (ends his career with us) but like you said we keep losing Bread and butter games which is NOT acceptable, if he can get around that, we could very well have a chance of the play offs, if not more for next season.

This will be a big summer I think, it's been said many times, should Harris cut the ties with Livermore and or Barrett?

Maybe getting someone like Edwards in as 1st team coach, I mean a younger coach with a few fresh ideas!

Have to say I'm a bit surprised that some have the opinion that we should rid ourselves of Watmore and Harding. I mean Watmore has been a bit of a revelation of late, doesn't seem to be running head down too much, and now scoring. Harding was quite a pleasant surprise when he stepped in for Hutch early season, played really well, had a couple of dodgy games but show me one of our defenders who hasn't.

As for NH, getting 20 points from 11 games and ending our relegation angst was not luck. He REALLY does know what he is doing. Will we be elevated to promotion next season, probably not, but if we play with a bit of heart we will be fine and that's what NH brings.

This will be a big summer I think, it's been said many times, should Harris cut the ties with Livermore and or Barrett?

Maybe getting someone like Edwards in as 1st team coach, I mean a younger coach with a few fresh ideas!
With all due respect, I do not want that man ANYWHERE near our club... we were lucky that Neil Harris came back to sort out damage control... If they kept him on we would have been relegated with Rotherham United already... (no conspiracy theory!)

Livermore still getting stick 🤷‍♂️

I don’t know if he’s good or bad, does any of us and have proof?

I do know he came through the Arsenal youth system, that I imagine is as good as any, and benefited from better coaching than any of our coaching staff. If that’s the case possibly he’s better equipped to bring on our youngsters than anyone else at the club 🤔

After the shenanigans that has gone on this season with Rowett out, change our style etc. putting an inexperienced ‘new style’ coach in and nearly sinking like the Titanic. I really would like to think we can all get behind Bomber and let him do his stuff with the backroom staff and players he chooses.

Livermore still getting stick 🤷‍♂️

I don’t know if he’s good or bad, does any of us and have proof?

I do know he came through the Arsenal youth system, that I imagine is as good as any, and benefited from better coaching than any of our coaching staff. If that’s the case possibly he’s better equipped to bring on our youngsters than anyone else at the club 🤔

I know, it's amazing really...

Although Neil Harris has done an amazing job keeping us up, I should think he himself, would acknowledge some of the hard graft from his coaching staff has helped as well. After all, during this particular stint with us, he does label himself as 'Head Coach', and not manager. Which indicates that there are other coaches involved.
:grinning:

Bomber has surpassed expectations for me. At the point he took over we were fucked. He, the coaches, the players should rightly take the credit. Also, us lot too. Bomber was very canny in getting the fans behind the team in an hour of need.

Next season, we could do with an assured CB that can distribute the ball. A blend of the youth (and we have some talent in that department) with the experienced players and for not the whole strike force to get injured again.

After the shenanigans that has gone on this season with Rowett out, change our style etc. putting an inexperienced ‘new style’ coach in and nearly sinking like the Titanic. I really would like to think we can all get behind Bomber and let him do his stuff with the backroom staff and players he chooses.
Agree. A bit of stability is what is needed.