Next season’s squad and expectations

Wippa

So now we’re safe and can all breath a sigh of relief, and as this season draws to a close, who do people think we should keep for next season, let go, try and sell on, buy in etc?
Will any of the loanees be here again and should we push the boat out and try to sign any on a permanent?

Also, what are our expectations for next season? Is it unrealistic to expect Harris to continue this form over the course of a whole season and, with a couple of additions, give the play offs a real go? Or will it just be a case of a settled and uniting season after what has been a very turbulent one this year? Midtable with maybe a cup run thrown in? Or will it be another relegation battle?

Would be really interested to hear people’s opinions

Last edited:
I'm expecting Wallace, Harding and Hutchinson to leave, along with Bart.
Out of all the loans that are leaving I think we can only get Longman on a permanent.
We have Mitchell back from Lincoln who needs to be part of the squad or leave.
Okoli and Malarky depends on whether they are good enough yet or another loan.
No idea what Harris makes of Nisbet, can see him being very good for us if he can do the work of closing down defenders but part of me thinks he won't and could be moved on.
We do need a replacement for Tanganga and a back up keeper as we can't afford to have Sarkic as back up.
Then it depends on who is sold, hopefully Esse and Emakhu get more minutes and if Harris follows my instructions then a flirting with the play offs is possible but I'd expect a top half finish with a decent cup run thrown in.

Not sure Nisbet will ever be fit for long enough for us to find out if he is any good or not. Am sure theres a player there but I would ship him out if anyone in Scotland fancies taking him back and free up the wages. Same old problem finding someone we can afford who might be able to get us a few goals. If Plymouth go down I would take a punt on that Whittaker although not an out and out forward he can put them in the back of the net and am sure he isnt on a fortune there.
Would like to see what Mayor has got in the next couple of games as well as his record in the lower leagues is pretty good.
I expect another tough season and without really being able to strengthen I can see another battle at the wrong end of the table which to be fair I did say at the start of this season but we had GR and I didnt think we would be in as much trouble as we were at one stage. But hope I am wrong, either way we are still doing well to be playing in this league consistently

Well what a ride that was. When you look at the last 11 games that is promotion form, but I’m not getting carried away for next season. It’s a weird division. Bottom beats top, a coupon buster every bloody week (I’ve had plenty!).

The Edwards period was hard, I don’t blame him personally as I’m sure he will be a good manager / coach at a club that has the luxury of being able to afford highly technical players. In his previous role he had the cream of crop of England’s youngsters and the facilities available to him. Hopefully he will look at lessons identified and turn them into lessons learnt and that will be defining in his own personal development, sometimes you have to change your style and play to the strengths you have available to you.

The NH interview posted in another thread was defining for me. We are fairly unique, he spoke about the connection between fans and the team, the team and the fans and when it’s good we fly. I’ve had some of the best times when we have that momentum, hairs standing up on the back of my neck just thinking about it.

We don’t often have out and out stars, and when we do, rarely have the ability to hold onto them. Unfortunately that is the business of running a football club. We should be proud when that happens, no different to any business, I personally am immensely proud when people that have worked for me in the past have gone on to bigger and better things as I have been an enabler to their personal development. Rinse repeat.

The Berylson’s have been amazing for our club, without them who knows where we would be now and I’m sure James will continue in that manner and am forever grateful to John (RIP). Pretty amazing how a little south London football club has captivated an American family like it has, but that, as Danny Shittu would say ‘it’s what we do’. Doesn’t stop there either, so many foreign lads now coming over to watch us, we should be proud of that, not shun them as this will see sustainability into the future through gate receipt and merch sales. And hopefully at some point a larger developed ground to accommodate regular bigger crowds. We are in London competing with much larger clubs and fan bases, I don’t subscribe to the it’s not my Millwall, as that’s what NH is saying, it’s about the team crowd connection, just on a larger scale. We can do this, once you have the bug you are a lifer.

Reading to some of the drivel on here I’m not sure what some actually want, or indeed what they think is truly achievable, or they are just trolls. I didn’t see one of them posting in yesterday’s match thread, but they would have been over it like a rash if we had lost. If they are fans, what do they think they are achieving by behaving like that? It will certainly take years off their life carrying all that bitterness.

In regard to the team I think we have some real opportunity. Some of the established players will be here still, I think Lenny, Danny, Saville, Watmore, Billy and Cooper have been immense and would retain them. Have they been world beaters every game, no, they are human beings and they make mistakes. Those calling for Esse and Emaku to start every game, well it would have ruined them. They are not Owen, Rooney, Giggs etc. But they will have developed. Esse looked like areal player in the making v Leicester. Maybe next season will be their opportunity to establish a place in the starting line up. The likes of Longman, Honeyman, Tanganga, Flemming, Sarkic, BNC have all played their part, at times immensely so and would be great to keep some if not all of them. We may struggle to keep hold of Tanganga as he is, albeit some would say otherwise, different class. What people forget is that it has been a disruptive season, unfortunately this will always play out in human behaviour. Next season we have a massive opportunity to start afresh, with a foundation of a team that have achieved great things these last 11 games.

I’d like to see an out and out striker brought in, I know we have Bradshaw and Nisbet, both plagued with injury, and I don’t think we have had a real opportunity to see Nisbet’s capability yet. Obefemi has worked tremendously hard off the ball and with his 2 goals has shown class. People forget he had not played for quite a while, then coming into a new team had to get up to speed. He hasn’t had enough time, but showed glimpses of what he is capable of. Mayor is another unknown and next season will be like getting a new signing. Longman will definitely shine next season, this last 11 games will be a massive confidence booster. Casper has undoubtedly got the footballing brains, we just need to work out how best to utilise it, again will benefit from the backend of this season.

I would let go, Harding, Wallace and Hutchinson, all great servants but not sure how they fit in now.

I’m going to draw stumps now as I have repetitive strain injury!! COYL, let’s get behind the team, let’s welcome every oppo with that famous Den roar, let’s make it a fortress once more.

Special mention for Neil and Livermore… lionhearts, thank you. True legends and hope there is a place for you next season.

Well what a ride that was. When you look at the last 11 games that is promotion form, but I’m not getting carried away for next season. It’s a weird division. Bottom beats top, a coupon buster every bloody week (I’ve had plenty!).

The Edwards period was hard, I don’t blame him personally as I’m sure he will be a good manager / coach at a club that has the luxury of being able to afford highly technical players. In his previous role he had the cream of crop of England’s youngsters and the facilities available to him. Hopefully he will look at lessons identified and turn them into lessons learnt and that will be defining in his own personal development, sometimes you have to change your style and play to the strengths you have available to you.

The NH interview posted in another thread was defining for me. We are fairly unique, he spoke about the connection between fans and the team, the team and the fans and when it’s good we fly. I’ve had some of the best times when we have that momentum, hairs standing up on the back of my neck just thinking about it.

We don’t often have out and out stars, and when we do, rarely have the ability to hold onto them. Unfortunately that is the business of running a football club. We should be proud when that happens, no different to any business, I personally am immensely proud when people that have worked for me in the past have gone on to bigger and better things as I have been an enabler to their personal development. Rinse repeat.

The Berylson’s have been amazing for our club, without them who knows where we would be now and I’m sure James will continue in that manner and am forever grateful to John (RIP). Pretty amazing how a little south London football club has captivated an American family like it has, but that, as Danny Shittu would say ‘it’s what we do’. Doesn’t stop there either, so many foreign lads now coming over to watch us, we should be proud of that, not shun them as this will see sustainability into the future through gate receipt and merch sales. And hopefully at some point a larger developed ground to accommodate regular bigger crowds. We are in London competing with much larger clubs and fan bases, I don’t subscribe to the it’s not my Millwall, as that’s what NH is saying, it’s about the team crowd connection, just on a larger scale. We can do this, once you have the bug you are a lifer.

Reading to some of the drivel on here I’m not sure what some actually want, or indeed what they think is truly achievable, or they are just trolls. I didn’t see one of them posting in yesterday’s match thread, but they would have been over it like a rash if we had lost. If they are fans, what do they think they are achieving by behaving like that? It will certainly take years off their life carrying all that bitterness.

In regard to the team I think we have some real opportunity. Some of the established players will be here still, I think Lenny, Danny, Saville, Watmore, Billy and Cooper have been immense and would retain them. Have they been world beaters every game, no, they are human beings and they make mistakes. Those calling for Esse and Emaku to start every game, well it would have ruined them. They are not Owen, Rooney, Giggs etc. But they will have developed. Esse looked like areal player in the making v Leicester. Maybe next season will be their opportunity to establish a place in the starting line up. The likes of Longman, Honeyman, Tanganga, Flemming, Sarkic, BNC have all played their part, at times immensely so and would be great to keep some if not all of them. We may struggle to keep hold of Tanganga as he is, albeit some would say otherwise, different class. What people forget is that it has been a disruptive season, unfortunately this will always play out in human behaviour. Next season we have a massive opportunity to start afresh, with a foundation of a team that have achieved great things these last 11 games.

I’d like to see an out and out striker brought in, I know we have Bradshaw and Nisbet, both plagued with injury, and I don’t think we have had a real opportunity to see Nisbet’s capability yet. Obefemi has worked tremendously hard off the ball and with his 2 goals has shown class. People forget he had not played for quite a while, then coming into a new team had to get up to speed. He hasn’t had enough time, but showed glimpses of what he is capable of. Mayor is another unknown and next season will be like getting a new signing. Longman will definitely shine next season, this last 11 games will be a massive confidence booster. Casper has undoubtedly got the footballing brains, we just need to work out how best to utilise it, again will benefit from the backend of this season.

I would let go, Harding, Wallace and Hutchinson, all great servants but not sure how they fit in now.

I’m going to draw stumps now as I have repetitive strain injury!! COYL, let’s get behind the team, let’s welcome every oppo with that famous Den roar, let’s make it a fortress once more.

Special mention for Neil and Livermore… lionhearts, thank you. True legends and hope there is a place for you next season.

Excellent post...:clap::clap:

Especially on a Sunday morning when you could have been in Church thanking the Lord that we are safe.
:grinning:

Not expecting much for next season, but offloading our ageing defence is a must, so sadly Hutch, Wallace and Bart have to go along with Harding (I had almost forgot about him).

If Leeds go up, try and sign Cresswell on loan.

I’m not convinced about Nisbet as he does appear to be injury prone, but out of him and Bradshaw I would keep Nisbet and we should have off loaded Bradshaw instead of giving him a new contract.

Midfield is a worry as we have had no creativity or pace for a number of years now.

Sign Longman, give esse, emakhu more game time. Hopefully Mayor can step up and get more pace in the squad.

Try and hire a forward over 6ft to help Nisbet, think that is the most crucial position we need, along with Mayor on the wing given a go. Promote a few of the young and give a them a chance . Get Longman and BNC in.
Reckon Flemming will leave, which I don't think is a big issue.

Very sensible post.
Who the fuck are you.
Unsure of the squad make up for next season , to many permutations to get my little brain around. Hoping for a more settled season , losing JB , 3 Managers , plenty injuries led to as disruptive a season than most of us could have imagined.
Get the last couple of games out the way ,hopefully another couple of wins , then look forward to a successful season from August. Wasn't overkeen on Bomber long term ,but he's changed my mind.
With the right recruitment I think well have a good one.
P.s was that Paree , with a name change, popping up liking your post.

Last edited:
Players I’d let go: - Wallace, Bart (poss coaching role?), Cooper, Harding, Campbell, Norton Cuffey and Tanganga (will go, not by choice).

We need: GK, Left back, Centre back x 2, Forward and depending on Flemming (who I think will be gone) probably a number 9.

Could be a busy summer.

:tophat::tophat::tophat:

Will be a tough division next time up. Tougher than this season i'd say. Portsmouth, Derby and possibly Bolton to replace three from our division. Then depends what two drop down with Sheffield United. Leeds and Southampton could stay down.

Esse and Emakhu will be a year wiser and stronger. De Norre , D Mac and Billy also. Not sure about Savilles legs/ stamina but i'd keep him if he can hack the physical demands on his body. De Norre didn't improve our possession stats yesterday but he may be a bit rusty and there is a player there. Hutchinson and Wallace will need replacing but a few loans from the premier will cover those two. Sarkic can only improve. Not that i think he's a bad keeper. This season will have done him good and will have adapted.Possibly a lot more to come from him.

Cooper may be a concern if he has to play alongside a rookie. I always think he's at his best when pair with the experienced Hutchinson. There's doubting his commitment but he can be clumsy at times. Could also do with our centre halves being able to play a bit. I wouldn't say no to another season of Tango either. It does what it says on the tin :hehe:

Get the Cresswell bollox out of the way asap. The slim chance we'd have is if the tramps get promoted back up. Our chance went this season cause they got fucking relegated. It's the only time that i wasn't bothered if stayed up cause i think they'd have loaned him out again- somewhere.

Flemming Keep until and if he shines again and then cash in if the wedge on offer is very good.

And no- I don't want Twinklebollox back on loan or a freebie with his tail between his legs. We've had the best out of him. We don't need a fucking Orange, piano faced drama queen who's best runs will come after 6 pints of babycham and a ruby at the haters arms cause his legs are gone.

Leonard is a huge risk given his injury record and age-32 next month. But he's probably earned the right for another go after his performances this season. His 29 starts this season has been his best showing since 2016/17 when he played 43 times for Sarfend. Also a ready made leader if we do lose both Hutchinson and Saville.

Honeyman keep. Mayor, Longman, Bradshaw keep.

For all his fight, energy and Millwallness i'd like to think we could do a bit better than Obafemi. He's had one good season with Swansea where he scored 12 in 32 games. He started 20 of those games and came on as sub for the other 12.

Juries out on Nisbet but i wouldn't be relying on him to fire us up the table. He's played the same amount minutes with us as he did at Hibs last season -well almost- Hibs 1376 minutes and 12 goals. Wall 1374 minutes and 5 goals which got us 5 points. Two goals in two draws and the winner in a 1-0.

Fuck Watmore off asap to get a younger replacement in and one that don';t spend half his time fucking mangled. Actually put him and Nisbet in a sherbert and dump em in a skip north of Watford.

Fuck knows what our budget is but we do have a few exciting prospects already on board so no need to spend or hunt for those. As i said loan in a few more decent centre halves/. Money saved in that department can go on a decent striker if he can be found.

The manager :hmmm:

I think he has learnt in some departments. Timing of subs and tactical changes decent. But what i can't make my mind up over is how much has he learnt and how much can he improve? We've just had 11 cup finals and Harris is your man for the big games ans he loves a scalp.

But there isn't 46 cup finals in this league. Done a proper job on Leicester but can he get us to do jobs on the bread and butter of this league? When the crowd ain't with him and the team? Can he deliver on the crowds expectations? Lofty ones- top eight/ six by xmas?

Cause that's the fucking gig now. If he can then i'd say stick with him. If he can't and it's likely to turn sour and shitty again then i say shake hands and quit while he's ahead. I would hate to see him lose his legendary status. I would hate to see what happened to Rhino happen to him. He's a legend to us of a certain era but not to some noisy 20 year olds that don't hold him in the same esteem that we do.

It's a tough one but i what ever is confirmed i hope it works out best for both Harris and us the loyal supporters.