Sell outs at The Den

Wippa

I see the West Brom game was another sell out. How many has that been this season now? Unbelievable how our crowds have come on in the last few years. Even during Edwards doomed spell we was quite often selling out.

What do people think it is down to? I know the tourists add a bit on to the crowd but surely that cant be the only thing?

The trains changing last year would have helped. (Charlton mode on…) you can now get a train from the Kent coast right through to London Bridge without having to go to Victoria first and get the underground. These trains go right through lots of areas that are full of south Londoners who have moved out to Kent. I can literally get from my front door in Aylesford to SB station in just over an hour now and it’s easy. And when I get on the train it usually already has plenty of Millwall on it. I think a lot of first and second generation South East Londoners out here are reconnecting to the club and their south London roots.

I don’t know if that’s had a major impact on our gates but it must have added a few on. This would also explain why midweek games are still quite poor.

I see the West Brom game was another sell out. How many has that been this season now? Unbelievable how our crowds have come on in the last few years. Even during Edwards doomed spell we was quite often selling out.

What do people think it is down to? I know the tourists add a bit on to the crowd but surely that cant be the only thing?

The trains changing last year would have helped. (Charlton mode on…) you can now get a train from the Kent coast right through to London Bridge without having to go to Victoria first and get the underground. These trains go right through lots of areas that are full of south Londoners who have moved out to Kent. I can literally get from my front door in Aylesford to SB station in just over an hour now and it’s easy. And when I get on the train it usually already has plenty of Millwall on it. I think a lot of first and second generation South East Londoners out here are reconnecting to the club and their south London roots.

I don’t know if that’s had a major impact on our gates but it must have added a few on. This would also explain why midweek games are still quite poor.
Been puzzling me to. I just put it down to selling tickets overseas but if the trains have changed maybe thats a reason also but we’ll need those fans to mention that. Big away followings coming to us as its pretty safe with the walkway and policing nowadays.
Here is a link if it works to our attendances this season and some previous years.

I have also noticed allot more family’s attending games, also locals who have moved to the area who are not born wall but now their local club, ticket prices may also help as they are reasonably priced, definitely heard allot of foreign voices who are either tourists or mainly locals now and Wall is their team. I know a few Wall who never attended games or very rarely and are now getting along to allot more games. Could also be the fact that the transport links have improved and that as a football fan they want to get along to a game and cannot pay the rip off prices the London prem clubs charge.

I know a few Irish lads that are local, always followed Arsenal through family ties . They got fed up with the cost, shit match times etc. Came to Wall, got the bug and now don't miss a game

Hard to say exactly why. There are definitely lots of foreigners. Waking to the ground on Friday we came past a group of around 60 foreigners, lots of them kids. Possibly a youth team on tour.
I do think attendances are up generally across the EFL. Also, as you say, it's fairly safe now for families. The club has worked hard on the matchday experience with the blue bus, German sausage stall, pie & mash etc. The general media stuff the club produce is quite outstanding now from what it was. Lots if little things but they all add up.

A lot of people have been priced out of following prem sides. They are all ST's and corporate. Are attendances up across the division? The championship is the most balance and competative division.

Gone up almost 2k every season in averages since 19/20 excluding covid season.

10k / 12.9k / 14.5k / 16.5k (current)

Makes for good reading, especially when you consider the home end hopes around 16k. Could end up being waiting lists if it continues.

The aftermath of Covid and lockdown would be a factor Wippa.

I have also noticed allot more family’s attending games, also locals who have moved to the area who are not born wall but now their local club, ticket prices may also help as they are reasonably priced, definitely heard allot of foreign voices who are either tourists or mainly locals now and Wall is their team. I know a few Wall who never attended games or very rarely and are now getting along to allot more games. Could also be the fact that the transport links have improved and that as a football fan they want to get along to a game and cannot pay the rip off prices the London prem clubs charge.
Good shout on the increased availability of housing bringing more people into the environs! 👍

I find it all a bit odd, or maybe my memory is just fucked... Thing is, although we keep having sell-outs, it doesn't really feel quite as rammed as it used to on the odd occasion that we would sell out 10 or 15 years ago.

I wonder if we have more st holders nowadays. Many of my mates that have a st don't go to every game anymore, and I wonder if it's selling more sts, and a lot of those people not going all the time, means we sell out more often but in reality every seat is not taken?

I find it all a bit odd, or maybe my memory is just fucked... Thing is, although we keep having sell-outs, it doesn't really feel quite as rammed as it used to on the odd occasion that we would sell out 10 or 15 years ago.

I wonder if we have more st holders nowadays. Many of my mates that have a st don't go to every game anymore, and I wonder if it's selling more sts, and a lot of those people not going all the time, means we sell out more often but in reality every seat is not taken?
Of the 3 season tickets in our family, only I went against WBA, my son and Granddaughter were away.

Thinking of buying a fourth season ticket so I can lie down during the game :)

I also think that we're not so much of a put off for away fans anymore. Also the internet bods who do their away day videos are on the whole very positive. The West Brom fan from this weekend said that our ground was a 'proper old school ground' and that he'd been to Brentford (like a hotel) and West Ham (souless)
Also as some on here have said, foreign visitors, although a small number are still making the numbers grow.