London Bridge To And From South Bermondsey Trains

PurleyLion

Staff member
I’m becoming increasingly more and more frustrated with Southern Rail’s lack of forward planning, especially before the start of games.

Inevitably, the last 2/3 trains before the game from London Bridge to South Bermondsey are packed to the rafters with 100s left on the platform because they can’t board. Surely it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man for Southern Rail to ensure the 2/3 trains before the game have 8/10 coaches instead of the current 4/6 🤷‍♂️

The trains after the game aren’t as bad but applying the same principle, increasing the number of coaches would ease the congestion and delay👌

I’m becoming increasingly more and more frustrated with Southern Rail’s lack of forward planning, especially before the start of games.

Inevitably, the last 2/3 trains before the game from London Bridge to South Bermondsey are packed to the rafters with 100s left on the platform because they can’t board. Surely it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man for Southern Rail to ensure the 2/3 trains before the game have 8/10 coaches instead of the current 4/6 🤷‍♂️

The trains after the game aren’t as bad but applying the same principle, increasing the number of coaches would ease the congestion and delay👌
Forward planning? :lol:
I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again.
Lime bike from London Bridge

You will be wanting trains ready on the platform just after the final whistle next.
They don't plan around football, we should just be grateful they exist.

Surely it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man for Southern Rail to ensure the 2/3 trains before the game have 8/10 coaches instead of the current 4/6
Perhaps the platforms aren't long enough at certain stations along that route. Certainly won't be at Peckham for 8/10 coaches.

Perhaps the platforms aren't long enough at certain stations along that route. Certainly won't be at Peckham for 8/10 coaches.
There are several stations along that route and others that cannot accommodate 10/12 coaches (I think all can manage 8 coaches). When this is the case it’s announced at the start of the journey and approaching a platform of restricted length that to disembark you need to be in coaches A-n.

There are several stations along that route and others that cannot accommodate 10/12 coaches (I think all can manage 8 coaches). When this is the case it’s announced at the start of the journey and approaching a platform of restricted length that to disembark you need to be in coaches A-n.
True. I forgot that.

This is what you get with private franchises running the train routes. They are paid a lump sum whilst the government take the money from ticket sales. It's not in the interest of the train companies to run more trains because there's nothing in it for them.

Have a couple of beers with mates in Harry's, stroll down Ilderton Road. Nobody at the station, train nice and empty. Problem solved

Last edited:

Are you really a closet Anorak Purley? 😂